Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

Try “homeassistant.local:8123”
But, to be honest i don’t see any practical use of homeassistant.local. I use either local IP or usually rather direct external https address, because if i use local IP address then Visual studio code constantly complains that connection is not secure.

1 Like

Has @fredrike’s patch been rolled into https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/tag/5.13 ?

No, unfortunately not.

The install doc still holds and it is ok to upgrade to 5.13.

1 Like

Hi there!
Do you know how to run Home Assistant with an external USB drive on Synology? I have HA in Virtual Machine Manager but disks can’t hibernate after this.
Thank you!

HDD’s won’t hibernate if you have VM installed, that’s a fact. But, in my case HDD’s almost never hibernate even before VM installation. It depends on what you’re running on syno: web server, media server…all that prevent spindown.
In fact, some say that it’s better this way. Supposely HDD is most vunerable at startup, so if/when it will fail then it will fail at startup. Therefore it’s better fot them to run 24/7.
Running from USB, even if possible, will cause another problem: flash wearout. USB sticks aren’t build for 24/7 use, especially non-stop writing will destroy it quickly.

1 Like

I’m pretty new to Home Assistant and was playing around with a VM installation on a Synology 218+ for the last 5 days - successfully! I imported hassos_ova-5.12.ova and thought (except for the missing Guest Agent), that this was not so difficult after all.

Until yesterday :frowning:, Synology proposed several updates of their packages, including VMM (new version 2.5.3-9760). After applying the upgrades the already successful running Home Assistant doesn’t boot anymore.

I tried a new installation, this time with the brand new hassos_ova-5.13.ova, but it can’t boot either. (I did the same in a VirtualBox on my Win10, works like a charm)

This is the messages I get for both the first and the recent installation when I try to boot them:

… Cannot read MBR …

well that’s pretty fatal I would say.

So anybody else experiencing the same with the recent update of VMM? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
Georges

Hi Georges,

I updated my Synology VMM to version 2.5.3-9760 successfully this week and HA has continued to run absolutely fine since so I don’t think that’s the cause of the problem.

I’m running all the latest versions of HA:
core-2021.3.4 & supervisor-2021.03.6

However my OS is the latest production version 5.12 - I wonder if this could be relevant?

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

John

Hi John,

my first installation of HA was 5.12 (a week ago) and yesterday I tried a re-installation with 5.13 => both do not boot. All the rest is exactly the same as with yours.

I assigned 1 CPU and 4 GB of RAM but both have nothing to do with “Cannot read MBR”. I will de-install VMM and start from scratch.

I will post the outcome …

Cheers,
Georges

A complete re-install of VMM itself didn’t help. Same boot errors.

I’m rather at a loss :frowning:

Did you select UEFI as BIOS when you created VM - this is not default setting by default. This in theory can be one of the reasons.

Hi @BeardedConti,

Yes, I chose UEFI. I started the installation a week ago based on your YouTube video. That helped a lot to get started.

And as I mentioned earlier, everything worked fine at the beginning until I updated the VMM. I tried to find some hints on Synology forums, with no luck so far.

What Syno are you running and is it original or Xpenology? In release notes I can’t see anything that could be related to this - at least not for VMM update. DSM update is different beast.
Do you maybe have external USB drives that you are using?

I didn’t even know about Xpenology - interesting stuff.

All boring standard stuff in my case:

DS218+ with 6144 MB and DSM version 6.2.3-25426 Update 3.
My Synology tells me that I’m up-to-date with 6.2.3 but taking a look at the release note page shows that 6.2.4-25556 is about to be rolled out.

There is interesting note under Compatibility & Installation

2. Fixed a compatibility issue between the Geminilake platform and virtual machines running Windows 10.

VM is a topic, not necessarily my issue, but still VM related. Should I give it a try? Hm, I think I do.

EDIT:
15 minutes later: it doesn’t make a difference.

DS218+ is Apollolake - Geminilake is x20 series (720, 920,…).
This is really strange error. I’m on much lower DSM version myself - always lagging behind with updates as previously I had couple of issues with DSM updates. So I wait for month or two before updating.

Next set of questions :slight_smile:
How big is VM - how large is VM disk you created? Are you using internal HDD’s from Synology or have external USB HDD attached?

1 Like

Hardware: DS218+, 6GB RAM, no other hardware attached.

VM with 32GB virtual disk, 3 GB RAM and 1 CPU assigned.

I just followed your/Frederik’s instructions, no experiments.

1 Like

Hi Georges,

I assume that you are not running any other VMM’s on the Synology?

Just a thought - would it be worth setting up a simple Linux, or Windows, installation?

This might help identify if the problem is in some way directly associated with the VMM / Synology setup rather than the HA installation.

1 Like

I’m now shooting blindly… Can you check Boot from:

BW - What @JohnWH suggests is good idea. Trying to create new VM from whatever image you can get your hands on - to see if this is related to VMM or problem with this image.
Also, did you maybe try to download image from Fredrick? URL is located in first (second) post here - this image has guest agent installed/enabled. Who knows…

1 Like

You are a restless contributor! Thanks.

It actually is “boot from virtual disk”. And of course tried the other option too.

I first imported ova 12, which worked until the VMM update. After that I tried ova 13 as well as the initial version from Frederick’s download link.

I’m convinced myself that the next step should be to try out any other kind of VM. I just don’t know which one would be “similar” enough to HA. A small Ubuntu?

I probably don’t have time until tomorrow or Friday to carry our further experiments.

Thanks John for your suggestion, that would have been my next step.

I posted my problem at the Synology Community as well. Let’s see, if someone there comes up with another hint.

1 Like

Did you get any update on this in Syno forums?
I know it may sound strange, but I’m thinking (very far fetched) that this can be memory issue…
Or something so stupid and obvious that I’ll kick my self at the end for not thinking of that.