Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

My Synology is configured different with UPS. Synology is connected to the UPS USB.

Since it is using the USB, HA connects to the NUT server via the network.

You’ll also need to setup the firewall, etc. to allow it to work.

Don’t forget to click “permitted DiskStation devices” and there enter IP of your HA instance.

PERFECT! Didn’t think of that - worked like a treat! Thanks a lot :smiley:

I installed my Home Assistant with this guide. If I want to restart my Synology, I need to shutdown the Home Assistant virtual machine first. Or can I just shutdown and the virtual machine will automatically power off?

Thank you PapaLanc. With this setting “suspend” I can shutdown my Synology directly, without shuting Down the Home Assistant VM first? And with Autostart it will start automatically after reboot.

works for me

Great, I will try that. It’s much easier than everytime shutdown the VM first.

I use Home Assistant Supervised on Synology VMM and my configuration.yaml had some strange configuration and Home Assistant went into fail safe.
I have tried to find the file to edit it but I can’t find it. I have searched in file manager on Synology GUI and I have tried in Cli.

What’s the easiest way to correct the configuration?

have you got a backup?

I have an DS 1522. There Home Assistant is running in a virtual machine. It´s working fine with around 100 devices connected. Now I start integratiing my Keba Walbox via evcc. Therefor I have to forward port 7070. Any suggestion, how I can do that in the virtual machine? Thanks!

You do not have to forward any ports. As in you did not forward 8123 to get to hassio…
you just tell whatever you are using the IP of your home assistant

1 Like

I have HASS running Supervised on Synlogy NAS on VM and it’s working just fine.

I can edit the yaml files from within HA using File Editor addon. But I would like to see how I could access and browse through the folder structure of HASS.

I see the VM installation also created a HA under Docker but the configuration.yaml files there are older and not the ones that is being used by HA.

I tried seaching across the entire NAS but the configuartion.yaml files that HA actually uses are not found.

Any ideas?

Create SAMBA share in Home Assistant with AddOn and use that to connect from Synology. I think I did video on that too some time ago in VM guide for HA.
But it’s really not that hard.

1 Like

Many thanks, will try this.

Installed the Samba addon as you recommended. Set a username and password, log shows it’s up and running:

Samba name server HOMEASSISTANT is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.x.x

When I try to connect from Windows 11 to mount the drive using the \<IP_OF_ HA>\ format, I enter the credentials, then Windows gives me an error message saying it cannot connect.

In the addon’s log I see my PC has attempted to connect and there is no error message:

netbios connect: name1=HOMEASSISTANT 0x20 name2=NAMEOFMYPC 0x0
netbios connect: local=homeassistant remote=nameofmypc, name type = 0

Any idea what could be wrong?

If this helps:

HASS is running on a VM under my Synology NAS and the PC is on the same network.

Thank you!

may need to enable smb 1.0

1. Windows key + R, type optionalfeatures.exe and press enter
  2. You will get this:
    253155-windows10-feature-smb-file-sharing-support.jpg
  3. Tick the box “SMB 1.0/CIFS Client”, and press OK! (it will take a while to complete the action)
  4. You will be prompted to reboot: make sure you have closed everything and reboot! (it will look as if you have triggered a Windows update)
  5. After the reboot: try the command net view \\YourServerIP\ and rejoice!
1 Like

This solved it. Many thanks @PapaLanc !

If I may ask one more question, please:

In the HA Sama Share addon I set a username and password but the Win 11 PC was able to connect and browse without those credentials entered.

What do I need to change to password protect access to HA’s SMB share?

I would change the password on the samba share to test. I think windows may have remembered your previous attempt

Hi, maybe you can help me. I have installed my HA on a VM in my Synology. All is working fine. The only thing is that i cannot reach the HA with its IPv4 address (192.168.178.70:8123). With IPv6 and homeassistant.local:8123 i can do. Why? I believe it worked before. Any suggestions where to look?btw, ping is working