Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

I had a power outage today. Now after I restart my synology I cannot connect to the home assistant vm anymore.
On the http://{ip}:8123 I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. I have seen that this usualy means that it has just been turned on, but even when it has been running for over an half hour it still says that.
I have tried to revert back to the snapshot of last night, but still the problem persists.
Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Your HA is in VM? Try force restart VM from synology’s VM manager.
Regarding restore from backup: i just did it today: it took almost 3 hours to complete in my case, so be patient…

How can it take 3 hours. Restoring from snapshot only took minutes. Would it do more than what the synology is telling me? If so, how can I see progress anywhere?
I do see that the synology is doing some kind of scrubbing due to the power down. Maybe that takes a lot of resources so everything takes long to start again.

There are quite a few reports that restore takes hours and no answer why…
I tried on three HA installations (i have one production and one or two test installations) and in all three it takes “forever”. I can’t imagine how 400MB big (small) file can take hours to restore… and i restored only HA part, without database, which is in mariaDB - separate server.

Sadly you can’t see any progess info, neither you’ll see if anything goes wrong. That’s a big no-no in HA’s system. Only thing you CAN check is login to SSH and type “ha info” - there you’ll see “state: running” or “state: freeze” - freeze means that it’s still restoring (you hope…)

But, i tried to install HA on Intel’s NUC today. man, it’s fast… (but honestly i have NUC with Intel’s i7-6770 CPU…). I’d say up to 10 times faster than HA on Synology’s VM…

Too bad I cannot connect to ssh to ha at all, only way to go into command line is for me to use the terminal tab in home assistant itself, but for that I need home assistant to be up and running. I will just wait and see what happens :slight_smile:

What about synology - virtual machine, select your ha vm file and hit “connect”… ?

I migrated from Synology VM to Odroid N2+ last week. Restore (~2GB) took about 4 hours. No status feedback at all until the web interface finally came back to life.

You can check the observer URL http://homeassistant.local:4357

As long as Supervisor is in Connected state I would wait as it is definitely still working on the restore.

Today when i monitored my restore more closely i went into SSH and watched HDD occupancy. Some numbers were slowly increasing, which was an indication that copying is in progress. (df command)

you don’t need to put 8123 on end of your domain! if you have setup reverse proxy should be https–myacc.synology.me to 443 for your domain. then localhost to 8123 to point to home assistant

This is great, but how do I access the /config files? I need to copy configurations using the yaml files.
I can locate the vdisk on my drive under volume1, but I do not know enough for how to access the content. I am on a synology 920+ and I installed the haos

In HA —> settings —> addons install studio code server.

Is the HA up and running or? If it is - you can install VSCode/File Editor and do it that way.
Or you can install SSH/Terminal and do it that way, via terminal.

Or you can use SAMBA share and map your HA configuration folder to Synology and access like that.

It all depends where are you with your configuration and system and what is easiest to do for you.

Is this still a valid way to go in 2023 ? :slight_smile:

I just tried it, but my DS220+ is to light on the RAM side. If this is still a good and ecofriendly way, I will order 8-16GB of RAM. My NAS is mostly ideling anyways (just some Survaillance and Mobile backup).

Happy to hear someone with the 220+ experience.

I added 4 GB of RAM to my 220 plus and it works fine for me

You mean to run HA inside VM? Sure, why not? Although i have 920+, 16GB of ram works perfectly, (while officially it’s not possible). Just browse through forums a bit and find which models are “compatible” - no need to buy an (over)expensive original synology one. Although 16GB is perhaps overkill already… In my case HA uses under 2GB of ram, so even 8GB total would be enough, i guess. But ram’s are cheap…

Too bad that 220+ doesn’t have SSD cache - it would increase speed quite a lot.

Thx @PapaLanc - how long do you have it running already?

When I think about VMs and Docker, I always assume that some things will not work, harder to backup, files get lost.

Does someone here use Home Assistant + Homematic IP + Google Home (Speaker) ? I read that USB devices are not fully supported in the VM (and you need that for integrate Homematic IP devices → https://de.elv.com/elv-homematic-ip-arr-bausatz-rf-usb-stick-fuer-alternative-steuerungsplattformen-hmip-rfusb-fuer-smart-home-hausautomation-152306 )

If not this could be a cheap and ecofriendly option indeed :partying_face: - A Raspberry PI with SSD costs about 120€ (just saw that a 128GB SSD goes for 12 € - crazy :astonished:

@Protoncek yes, thx, I already ordered → https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08C4Z69LN 8GB for 16,99€ - read a review where someone mentioned DS220+ , so should be fine :slight_smile:

It has been running a couple of years I guess. Only problem I had at first was it would lose usb connections on a reboot, but that now works fine. Only can have 4 usb connections. I use the built in HA backup which now supports backing up to a share on the NAS.

I had to use a vm tool to covert the image to uefi to get it started

Works great so far! Best experience by far (tried openHAB and ioBroker before)!

Anyone got a ds920 or ds1520 for sale?

I installed home assistant on my NAS the other day I have been slowly adding stuff on it. however, I can’t get hacs to load correctly. could someone point me in the right direction. thanks.