Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

My NAS died a while back but I had HA Backups on a windows box. Downloaded virtual box and installed HA, then restored from backup. EazyPeazy except a lot of time when you restore HA the database gets corrupt and you lose all of your history. I have since switched to mariadb to see how that goes.

1 Like

No worries, my main setup on 920+ is still on DSM 6.x :wink:

1 Like

Q: are none of you guys running into the 32GB size limit of the ova file?

As in disk size? You can stop VM and expand. One I have is 128GB other one is 256GB in size nowā€¦

1 Like

Guys, question, iā€™m running an HP Microserver Gen 8, with ESXI, running also HassOS on it
I want to buy a real synology now, with virtual machine managerā€¦

on my ESXI, i have 2 USB sticks in passthroughā€¦ deconz + canable

Is it true that with synology, every time you restart the virtual machine, the auto mounting of the USB drives is NOT working?? this if offcourse verry crucial!!

thnx for info

This should be corrected in DSM 7.1 if i remember. .
But, i donā€™t think itā€™s crucual at all at the end. How many times do you restart synology? Only when you make an update of DSM. Synology is rock solid and it wonā€™t restart by itself.
I can try in the evening, i never had problems with this yet. I know that usb is connected if i restart VM.

ah ok, is it also possible to put the USB card in passtrough mode?
I also have a canable USB adapter, on my ESXI its not enough to add the device as USB, i need to passtrough the whole USB card

thnx

Btw, is the problem only on restart of Synology or when you restart HassOS itself (the VM)

Hello, USB support is depreciated in Synology DSM 7

But (there is always a but), USB is fully supported in Virtual Machine.
SO if you use HA as a Virtual Machine, you can assign USB devices without problem. No need to script anything, even on reboot.

perfect
iā€™m looking for a 4+ bay where i can run VM on, but i also need a good for for Plex to stream/transcode movies , i need probably an intel based one? any suggestions?maybe one with a lot of ram also ?

Look for ā€œplusā€ models, they have more powerfull MCU. I have DS920+ and itā€™s an excellent piece of hardware. Officially it can handle max.8GB of RAM(4 + 4 additional), but i have 20GB (4 + 16Gb additional) and runs perfect.

1 Like

maybe the 1522+ , seems newer and better i think
edit:
hmm after reading, the 1522+ doesnt have a GPU, i need it for transcoding
seems the 920+ does have an gpu with intel , indeed better

Thereā€™s newer DS922+ out, i think. Or it will be shortlyā€¦
And a word of advice: when formatting use btrfs format, not any other, or VM wonā€™t runā€¦

cool, lets wait for it :slight_smile:

Maybe i was too quickā€¦ some say that release of 922 is kinda unknown, because of chip supply problemsā€¦ check out a bitā€¦ after all, it wonā€™t be that much better/fasterā€¦i guess 10 or 20% max.

seems it will be a 923+ :slight_smile:
but my HP microserver still works, so maybe i wait fir 923 , will make the 920+ cheaper

at this moment i have an small server with a Asrock Q1900 mobo with and a J1900 cpu with an 256gb SSD
and I have als an Synology DS220+. with 2 6 TB hdd disks in raid what should i do run it on, the Asrock Q1900 in proxmox or at the Synology in the virtual machine manager?
what would be better?

You need to add ram to the 220+

Ram is not the problem the ds220+ have already 6gb of ram

Best is to try and see. Your model doesnā€™t have SSD cache (like 920+), so itā€™s hard to tell.
Regarding RAM: 6gb is enough, but it can still be expanded. 16GB ram module fits and works quite nicely. There are infos about models working on synolgy on internetā€¦

oh, mine only came with 2gb and I had to add 4gb. Did not know I could have added 16