Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

Hello ,

My Home Assistant is up and running on Synology 920+.

Now when when I try to update it is failing and can see following error.

22-05-03 23:32:51 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.os.manager] Fetch OTA update from https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/7.6/haos_ova-7.6.raucb
22-05-03 23:32:54 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.os.manager] Completed download of OTA update file /data/tmp/hassos-7.6.raucb
22-05-03 23:32:56 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.os.manager] Home Assistant Operating System update failed with: Installation error: Failed updating slot kernel.1: failed to mount slot: failed to run mount: Child process exited with code 32

Please help me to solve this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I have installed the native VMM on my DS218+. When I start this, I get the following message:

ā€œThe previously disabled network settings will be enabled automatically. It will take a while to reconnect to the network. During this time, all services will be temporarily unavailable. Are you sure you want to continue?ā€

afbeelding

Is this ok to continu?

Regards
Joost

It should be OK. I think it needs to enable vswitch for the network device.

1 Like

It went OK, thanks

1 Like

I am running HA on VMM about 24h now, and I donā€™t seem to have issues with CPU. See graph below. The spike in the beginning is the installation of the VM. Other spikes are presumably linked to backup functionality

afbeelding

Iā€™m about to try this on my 716+II. Is the guide at the top still relevant?

What will happen if I still have my HA instance running on my NUC on the network and I start another instance in the VM?

You can have multiple HA instances, why not? Just set a unique IP for each of them. I have three HA instances: first is ā€œproductionā€ one, second is test and third is insid VM on my old macbook - this one is more or less just for testing of running speed on old macbook (2012).
I guess that above guide still works, yes. Although recently i re-installed my test HA on synology and I worked as official guide for synology is written and it all works.

Hi, just saw you comments so thought I would add my experiences ā€¦

I am running HA on a DS918+ (DSM 7.0 and VMM) with 2 cores and 3GB of memory allocated to the HA VM. My system response is very fast and more or less instantaneous, for size comparison I have around 800 entities and over 40 Automations.

2 Likes

Same with me (DS920+, DSM 6.2 and VMM) 2 cores and 5GB RAM for VM - 2000+ entities and 150 automation.

2 Likes

Is it possible to access the configuration files from another system, e.g. a network drive in Windows?

Sure. You must install ā€œsamba shareā€ add-on from official store in HA. Then just map network drive.

1 Like

I have a ds220+ with 6gb ram. increased the vm for 2 to 3gb and it still takes the same amount of time to reboot
did I miss a setting?
Thanks
Papa Lanc

How many cpuā€™s you assigned to VM? Thatā€™s more important than ram. I have 4 cores on my 920+ and also assigned 4 to VM. Nas doesnā€™t seem to work any slower, while HA runs quite faster.

Thanks,
appears I only have 2 cores

Ok, then assign 2 cores to HA virtual machine, itā€™s better than one.

i already had 2
I prob need better discā€™s :slight_smile:

Yeah, youā€™re pretty stuck thenā€¦
My 920 has option for two additional ssd drives (besides 4 bay HDD), which serves as a cache and then all works faster.
I guess your option would be to install two ssdā€™s instead of classical HDDā€™s, but, itā€™s not a cheap solution, i know.
After all, the important thing is that after all boots up HA works smoothly. Slow boot is also a result of different addons loading, which can cause delays.

Iā€™ve had this same setup for a while now, but am contemplating moving the VM off to dedicated hardware for a few reasons:

• There have been more DSM updates lately than previous periods, and I donā€™t like the fact that HA has to reboot when the DSM does (have been avoiding installing the updates for a while)
  • Have had a couple of power outages that lasted for a few hours, and while the UPS kept things running for a while, it couldā€™ve gone longer if there was a less power-intense unit running (i.e. HA vs. entire NAS)
  • I have a spare Dell OptiPlex 7050 SFF PC with upgraded RAM & SSD that is doing nothing

To be honest, my NAS has more than enough resources and capacity to continue running HA for a while, and Iā€™m sure Iā€™m just working on a solution looking for a problem, but Iā€™m thinking that given the increasing dependency on my HA, that both it and associated external Docker instances (e.g. ZigbeeMQTT) should be moved to a dedicated machine.

So yah, has anyone moved their existing VM image off to dedicated hardware? If so - did it stay as a VM on that hardware, or did you do a backup/restore to HAOS, or what?

In VM manager you can set VM behaviour before NAS shuts down - i have set it to suspend, so thereā€™s no damage to HA if you have UPS connected to NAS (via usb, too) and set it to ā€œrun until battery is emptyā€. That way NAS will shut down before ups dies since it knows the state of batteries (through usb). I have one car battery on my ups so my nas and router last more than one hour until empty, which is enough for my location. Power outages are pretty rare here.

Andā€¦i donā€™t experience much DSM updates hereā€¦iā€™m on dsm7.1 and updates come, say, every few months, not more. And, restarting nas doesnā€™t do any harm to HA, since VM suspends and runs again when restart is finished. In any case you restart HA manually quite more frequently when updatingā€¦

I did think a bit to move to some NUC, but i believe that it has no sense to have another piece of hardware if i have capable nas (ds920+). And, running on nas you also have data protection ā€œgratisā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Pavel, good perspective.
I had considered setting it to suspended mode but hadnā€™t yet, so have done that now.
In terms of DSM updates, Iā€™m still on 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 and have been avoiding updates lately as it seemed to be more every few weeks rather than few months.
Will suck it up and do the update now.

And yeah, I was trying to create a solution for a problem that isnā€™t really there, so will stop going down that path now. :slight_smile:

1 Like