Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

If you did all steps on github for “registering” then it may take a few hours for addons to be shown. Supposely it’s because of connection limits on github page, if i remember correctly.
Also…clear filter “by downloaded”. It will show empty since you didn’t download any of addons yet.

I’ve a ds 716 II+ with 2 gb ram. I can install home assistant os on vmw or I must buy and install other ram in first?
thanks…If yes…how…?.. I tried but I fallied

yes, you need more ram as ha takes 2 and you need some to run the box
i added a 4gb stick to my ds220+

Im interested in buying the ds423+ cause if the GPU…
I want to install HassOS in virtual machine manager, I have an conbee and canable USB sticks in passthrough mode on my current server… Is it also possible to use USB sticks in passthrough on the Synology virtual manager??

Also , do you guys use a separate nvme storage pool for HassOS or does it run fine on the 3.5 sata disks? I have the western digital reds

I have USB BT dongle and it works perfectly in HA when i assign it to HA VM, i couldn’t tell about zigbee though, but i’d say that if BT works then ZB should also work…
Regarding HDD’s: you’d wanna buy two SSD’s for cache also. I have 920+ which doesn’t support creating additional partition on SSD (it’s only for cache), so i can’t tell if it’s any difference if I’d have a partition vs cache, but i can tell you that without SSD cache HA runs painfully slow. I kinda doubt that it will be any serious difference, since when using cache all intense operations runs from SSD cache anyway.

You’d also wanna assign at least 2 (better 3, or even all 4) cores to HA VM. Try and see the difference.

Also - more RAM is a must., with only original 2GB you won’t run any VM. You can install additional 4GB, but more than official amount also works - i have extra 16GB module inside. Just do a bit of googling for compatible RAM’s.

Hmm , maybe I stick with my HP microserver after all :slight_smile:

Memory upgrade was indeed a must, but I was hoping to skip the nvme drive… Indeed the 423 allows creating a pool if you have 2 disks, 1 is indeed only for cache… Although there are hacks it seems…

So you have 4 disks data 3.5 and 1 nvme, what’s your power consumption? Any idea?

I have 4 HDD’s in RAID5 (SHR) and two SSD’s in mirror cache. Skipping SSD’s is — well, just remember speed difference on normal PC when using HDD or when using SSD… (hint: it’s drastic!) But ssd’s are cheap these days (you don’t need a big capacity!)

Honestly, i never measured consumption. Synology claims : 32.17W (Access) and 9.69W (HDD Hibernation). Since if having HA installed causes HDD’s never to sleep it’s closer to 32W, i guess. Which is, funny enough, similar or even lower than a good intel nuc - not long ago i ran HA on (used) intel nuc with i7 6770 CPU (just for test, i installed Win11 later on that NUC): compiling esphome yaml is quite faster, while during normal use of HA speed difference is not noticeable. Also, reboot is somewhat faster on NUC, but nothing drastic. Comparing with HA on VM with all 4 cores used, 2 of them reserved for HA VM.

After all, this NUC can consume more power than Synology when under load - and running Win11 NUC can get quite hot (up to 80 degrees).
I’d say: buying syno just for HA is … well, not worthed…? I have my syno for a bunch of other things, too and HA is “just one of the apps”. Synology NASes are pretty versatile machines - you can run a lot on them…
Also a good thing is because of RAID it has a good security against HDD failure. Having a free DDNS also helps.

yeah, i’m famailiar with it… :slight_smile:
My microserver also have 4 bays, and i have attached 1 SSD for storage pool for ESX… All hosts are on the SSD, i run "xpenology’, the 4 disks are for data

I just want to make the move from the HP Microserver to the Synology cause of the power consumption, if its worth it… So i need someone actually who can measure it, so i can compare an indentical setup with disks

I run on a 923+, having HA on the NVME SSDs makes startup and config reloads. super fast.

you have a storage pool on that 923+? with original disks? or you are running a script to make unsupported drivres supported?

Yes, I have a storage pool on the NVME on the 923+. I used the Synology NVME drives so didn’t need a workaround. You don’t need a lot of storage, I put docker, VMs and surveillance station recordings on it, Initially I planned to use half of it as a cache for the HDD like you can on the older models (I was replacing a 918+), but you can only use the NVME as a storage pool or a cache - you can’t use part of it as a storage pool and parts as a cache.

Once the storage pool is in place you can also install the Synology apps on it. So for example I put docker and VMM on it, To do this I had to uninstall those Synology apps and the when you reinstall it lets you pick the storage pool to install into.

hmm, thats makes it quite expensive, still need to think about it :frowning:

For sure…

if I was just doing HASS I’d look at a NUC - I use it for surveillance station, laptop backups, document archive, media library, dns, vpn, etc.

Yeah, I use my xpeonolgy also for backup, I really like the surveillance station, it’s one of the best out there, I have 8 cameras on it, runs very good, even on my virtual xpeonolgy!!

Hi guys, I’m here to ask for your help.
I followed the instructions, and the machine works correctly, but when I navigate to the generated IP address and port 8123 nothing happens, my browser starts an endless loading.
The observer url (port 4357) works and it tells me that everything is ok.
I tried to use the hostname instead of the IP, to change browser e to temporarily disable firewall, but nothing happens.
I have the latest DSM version.

PS: I also tried to open the 8123 port to the generated IP on my router.

Thanks!

if it is local you do not need ports on your router
you can connect to the vm in synology vm manager to make sure you have the correct ip
press ctrl-F5 in your browser on ip-8123

I’m able to connect to the vm in synology, and the ip should be correct. I tried to use Advanced IP Scanner, and that’s what it say:

Ping to ..*.109 is working

Are there any news about the guest agent. I have a recent Hassios Installation running in a synology VM via the OVA image and the guest agent does not show up. I have read the stuff about the ovf id and the missing software packets. Does anyone know how to install the guest agent or change the id on a running installation so that the agent shows up running?

You won’t be able to connect via advanced scanner, because it tries with address “192.168.1.109” which is uncomplete. Proper address is “http://192.168.1.109:8123”, or “homeassistant.local:8123”. (note that :8123 at the end!) - did you try that?

With Advanced Scanner was a fast test, but I previously tried with htp://...109:8123 and with homeassistant.local:8123 but it starts a never ending load (nothing happens in a lot of mins).
In the Virtual Machine Manager it tells me “running”, I’m able to connect to HA VM, and I can navigate to the observer: