Installing HAOS in a VM on TrueNAS SCALE

I don’t know if this is the right thread.

But have someone the problem, if the vm start/restart,that the addons where not loaded?

I’m not sure @daschmidt - Please confirm that each add-on has Start on boot enabled.

Thank you so much for this writeup, this really helped me solve an issue with my VM on Truenas.
In case anyone else is having similar issues to me I will describe the issues I was having. I created my Home Assistant VM on Truenas and moved my Home Assistant instance without understanding all of the settings. My VM seemed to be working fine but I was having some trouble with some add ons and the HomeKit integration. My AirSonos add on would stop working after someone tried to play music on a speaker. I have several HomeKit bridges configured and when I reconfigured one of them I was no longer able to add it to the Home app. This was really driving me crazy and all signs seemed to be pointing to some type of network issue. After reading this post I created a test installation and by turning on “Trust Guest Filters” I was able to use AirSonos and connect to HomeKit bridges. I did not create a bridge NIC but did use the VirtIO adapter type.
After recreating my VM using this posts guidelines everything seems to be working so far. Hopefully someone else having issues similar to me can benefit from this great post.
Thanks

1 Like

the problem is, that the Addon’s in the submenu is not listet settings->addons.

I got this error ever time i try to pass through my conbee 2

group 10 is not viable
Please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.

I’m running into an issue with DNS. My router is configured to use pihole, which is running as a docker app on TrueNAS. I’m guessing the issue is that HOAS can’t roundtrip to PiHole out of the same network interface.

I’ve tried updating the DNS nameserver using this guide, but none of the options stuck. “resolution info” still shows DNS errors and “network info” still shows the pihole is being used as the nameserver.

Does anyone have a way around this?

I was able to create a Home Assistant VM successfully. I started it up and imported my most recent full backup.

This brought in my data successfully. I was immediately able to use devices with HomeKit!

However, my add-ons were not set up or configured. I tried adding them manually but many of them don’t start up.

I followed the multiple backup restore process from @fedot on this page and that appears to have worked for me.

It appears my add-ons are installed (including the ones I didn’t install manually, or that were from third-party repositories, like Shortumation and Google Drive Backup), configured, and successfully start up.

1 Like

Works great!

1 Like

Can’t get past the UEFI shell.
Yes, it’s set to Linux and using VirtIO.

I’ve retried many times with different ZVOLs and have used both ones created by using the VM creation GUI and ones I create both before and after with the exact same result. Tried 32GB exact, larger, smaller, no change.

I’ve used different versions of HAOS qcow2 files as well (up to the latest 10rc2 files).

Always boots into the UEFI shell and never shows any file systems when selecting boot from file either.

Tried forcing the file conversion using -f qcow2 -O raw with no luck either.
sudo doesn’t help.

Tried it on multiple vdevs and in different locations as well with no luck. Other VMs work just fine.

Various configurations of other VM settings make no difference.

TrueNAS Scale - Bluefin [release]
Primary VDEV for the ZVOL is a pair of mirrored 2TB NVME M.2 drives.

Been using HAOS for years, hypervisors, including KVM, and other stuff for years, and I’m stumped.

I’ve tried converting from other image types even and I get the same result.

I humbly come to ask for help.

Hi @VDM - I’ve been lucky HAOS has not had this issue, but I had the same problem with a Debian VM.

I’m busy with work right now, so I can only share a link - Hopefully, this will help get you running for now.

1 Like

Hey @troy

Thanks for the reply!

That’s one of the first things I tried, having had the experience in the past before myself as well.

There aren’t even and files listed. It’s like it doesn’t even see the drives.

I’ve continued to work on this since posting and have also tried direct dd image copy after converting the qcow2 file, also without luck and with no files visible.

Confounding for sure!

Thanks again!

Right, so I gave up and went the supervised route.

Even Debian gave me trouble booting after an install and I had to edit Grub but I got it working (Using the link troy shared works great for anyone else who stumbles across this).

Super weird given that Debian itself has also never had issues in the past - I must have borked something somewhere else and just cant find it.

Other OSs work fine - Windows, Ubuntu, etc.

Anyway - Got my Coral M.2 via PCIe riser working via passthrough with Frigate just fine now.

At least now I’m officially a community member instead of a lurker :smiley:

Thanks again @troy

I’m having the same issue. I have a win10 VM running just fine.

I tried both options as well, running the shell and doing it via the GUI. But no go.

Had any luck lately?

Hey there, I had the shell prompt. What I did wront was use the wrong location for the ZVOL. I used the mnt path. I changed the qemu-img convert to use the /dev/{{pool-name}}/{{otherdir if app}}/{{yourZVOLName}}

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I had a dozen or so failed installs and bad configs prior to finding this post.

1 Like

VM stays in a eternal loop in GRUB:

hi there : my HAOS wont boot, because it stays in a loop: Slot A

• then reboots

any advice appreciated :slight_smile:

hi there
did it work out ?
-seems i’m with the same troubles…

Many thanks to @troy for this guide. It has worked flawlessly.

As TrueNAS Scale is evolving, there is a new option, WM min memory. I chose 1GB, with 2GB as the max / nominal value. In that way, the WM is only using 1GB at the moment, with half of that taken by homeassistant. Docs say that RAM amount will be increased up to the max if neeced. For me, a double win, as my modest NUC only has 8GB.

I have a MQTT broker as an App. To be able to communicate the VM with apps I had to create a bridge as explained above.

I am still sweating to have bluetooth working. There is an integrated Intel BT device, which works in TrueNAS after installing extra firmware and even scans nearby devices, but fails completely in HAOS:

[    4.220393] usbcore: registered new interface driver btusb
[    6.277999] Bluetooth: hci0: command 0x0c03 tx timeout
[    7.299711] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[    7.299719] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[    7.299725] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[   14.662033] Bluetooth: hci0: sending initial HCI reset failed (-110)

Advice welcome!

1 Like

I’m trying to use Coral USB with this installation of Home Assistant os on Truenas, but I cannot understand how to do the usb passthrough.