Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

Hi all,

I just followed all the instructions. SSD and USB boot seems to work. I installed 5.6 64bits version of HA. When I started the rpi from the USB boot, it worked as spected. I uploaded my full snapshot during HA set up. After some restoration done I got the EXT4_fs (sda8) error in loop. It never ended so i turn the rpi off and then on. HA is set up however It doesnt work as spected. My config is restored but i cant get some addons like mqtt to work (due to a docker error aparently).
I guess the snapshot wasnt restored correctly, how can I do it?

Ty for the guide.

I followed the instructions for 64 bit - 5.6 version. It is now working for the following SSD drive:

Usb312sat3cb - ASMedia - ASM1351

Please update the firmware using XY_135xFWUpg2030_150708B10103_V3.exe
See section Drivers/downloads

and

Kingston SA400S37/120G A400 SSD, 120GB, 2.5

Before doing this, I tried to work with ADATA SSD 240GB External SD600Q.

However it is not bootable correctly. I see a lot of USB reset commands when using the dmesg running from SD ā€œrasbian OSā€

Do not use the snapshot upload function on the first login screen. Instead do a fresh login (i.e. define a new admin user). When the system is completely up and running, go to Supervisor ā€“ Snapshots and use the dot-menu in the upper right corner to upload and restore your snapshot.

Guide updated:

• Added warning to NOT use the snapshot restore feature of the first login screen.
  • All HA OS version references updated to v5.6.
1 Like

Hi!

Thanks for the guide!

Unfortunately Iā€™m stuck on ā€œUse raspi-config to set boot config to SSD bootā€
Iā€™ve flashed an SD card with ā€œRaspberry PI OS (32bit)ā€ and gone through the steps of updating and rebooting.

Running ā€œsudo rpi-eeprom-updateā€ gives the information

BCM2711 detected
    Dedicated VL805 EEPROM detected
    BOOTLOADER: up-to-date
    CURRENT: Wed 28 Oct 2020 17:32:40 UTC (1603906360)
     LATEST: Thu  3 Sep 2020 12:11:43 UTC (1599135103)
     FW DIR: /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable
    VL805: up-to-date
    CURRENT: 000138a1
     LATEST: 000138a1

When running ā€œsudo raspi-configā€ the menu options differ a bit but Iā€™ve done
6. Advanced options -> A6 Bootloader Version -> E1 Latest -> Reset boot ROM to defaults? No

Then the problem occurs
6. Advanced options -> A6 Boot Order -> B1 USB Boot
No EEPROM bin file found for version 2020-10-28 - aborting
There was an error running option A6 Boot Order

Iā€™ve also tried with a reboot after ā€œReset boot ROM to defaults? Noā€ but no change.

Any suggestions on how to solve this?
Should I choose a different Raspberry OS when flashing the SD card?

Thanks in advance!

Are you using RaspiOS or Ubuntu? since the bin file is missing?

Iā€™ve flashed the SD card with ā€œRaspberry PI OS (32bit)ā€ using the Raspberry Pi Imager tool.

okā€¦ did you update the eeprom? did you flash the USB Drive to HASSio that support SSD? I believe you need to flash special Hassio that can boot from USB. Else it wont boot since it didnt find the right files to boot

The EEPROM should be updated when I have done the steps I describe (as I understand it).
But it fails when doing 6. Advanced options -> A6 Boot Order -> B1 USB Boot with the error message
No EEPROM bin file found for version 2020-10-28 - aborting
There was an error running option A6 Boot Order

I have flashed my SSD with latest Hassio dev version 5 but havenā€™t tried booting since the EEPROM is not updated to support USB boot.

@rock3r you may use another option to update EEPROM, mentioned few posts earlier:

You may try this method and then get back to check version.

Thanks!
That seem to have solved the EEPROM update. Running sudo rpi-eeprom-update shows:

BCM2711 detected
    Dedicated VL805 EEPROM detected
    BOOTLOADER: up-to-date
    CURRENT: Thu  3 Sep 2020 12:11:43 UTC (1599135103)
     LATEST: Thu  3 Sep 2020 12:11:43 UTC (1599135103)
     FW DIR: /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable
    VL805: up-to-date
    CURRENT: 000138a1
     LATEST: 000138a1

And I could run sudo rapsi-config and select the USB boot option.

Next ā€œproblemā€ā€¦
Iā€™ve attached my Samsung T5 SSD, with the cable that was in the box, to one of the USB3 ports. When starting the Pi there is boot information shown on the screen and the green light is flashing.
After a short period the screen goes black and the green light stops flashing.

Is Hassio booting or has things stopped? I guess I should see some Hassio info on screen?
I know that there is a suggestion to try USB2 if the boot time is slow.

Are you talking about screen connected directly to RPi HDMI ?
If so, that I would try with USB2. I believe I have similar symptoms when using ā€œwrongā€ cable with USB3 (it workded with USB2 though)

Yes, sorry for not being clear. I have a screen connected to RPi HDMI that shows boot messages and then goes black. The green light on the RPi stops flashing.
I tried USB2 as well but same behaviour, i.e. black screen, green light stops flashing and nothing shown from Hassio.
Will try and flash image again to SSD to see if that can solve it.
Otherwise I guess I need to try with a different cable from SSD to USB2 or USB3.

Flashing again didnā€™t solve anything.
Iā€™ve tested with the USB-A to USB-C cables I have and none is working.
I noticed that for most of the times the blue led on the Samsung T5 SSD starts to flash blue and then turns to red, no flashing, and then blue, again no flashing. I take that as a sign that something is not working.
Any recommendation on a USB-A to USB-C cable that works?

I saw the same behavior as rock3r and I was using the ELUTENG adapter and the Sept 3 2020 bootloader. I ended up just loading Raspian on the SSD, booting from that, and using Docker for HA so I could get something working. If a solution comes up, I would love to switch to a pure HassOS install.

I suspect the issue is the Samsung T5 itself. Itā€™s probably designed as a portable storage medium, not as a boot device. You may need to go for a simple M.2 SSD + enclosure on this list.

Thanks for all the info and tips! :smiley:

I had a short progress yesterday evening. I flashed hassos_rpi4-64-5.6.img.xz and when attached to the upper USB3 it booted and showed a lot of info messages, e.g. Bluetooth being enabled. Then it stopped and showed a ā€œpower save enabledā€ message. I kept it running during the night but it only shows the same message.

Switching power on/off this morning didnā€™t help and Iā€™m back to seeing the boot message from RPi4 and the Samsung T5 led blinking blue and then turns to solid blue.

To bad if the Samsung T5 canā€™t be used as a boot device :frowning:
I saw that there is a new release (5.7). Will try and see if that might work or if Rasbian and Docker will be the way to go.

A happy update! =)

I flashed hassos_rpi4-5.7.img.xz but that didnā€™t boot.
I then flashed hassos_rpi4-64-5.7.img.xz and then it worked :smile:

A lot of info messages was shown.

And then it ended with

After that I could access http://homeassistant:8123 and continue the installation.
Next step is to import a snapshot from RPi3b and also see what happens when I restartā€¦

Iā€™m a little bit unsure if there are any drawbacks using hassos_rpi4-64-5.7.img.xz when it comes to Deconz Conbee II stick, IKEA TrĆ„dfri and TP-link smart outlets?

Congrats to get it working!

I have a Conbee II running on 5.7 64 bit and it works just fine. Just make sure that you plug it in and restart HA once before you install any integration that accesses the stick.

I also recommend that you use a male to female USB cable to get some distance between the stick and the Pi. Otherwise you might experience bad connection quality.

@Jpsy Thank you for this guide! That worked like a charm. I have a super fast Home Assistant now :smiley:

For reference, I use this UGREEN USB 3.1 Adapter.

1 Like