Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

Does anybody know if there is a roadmap for when SSD boot on the Rpi4 will be implemented into the stable releases?

1 Like

The transfer from RPi3B+ to RP4 8GB with SSD on the USB3 went smooth with HASS-OS v5.6, had to add an usb2-hub to get the Z-wave stick to work.
But the Bluetooth reach is now only 1/2 meter or so. Anyone else who encountered this?
Looking around the community USB3 and 2.4GHz interference seems a good candidate for trouble. Any solution?

Not on Z-wave, using Conbee2 zigbee with a USB 3 1meter extension cable on the USB3 port and it seems to work as normal. Conbee2 zigbee stick is about 0.5m away from the Pi.

Thanks for this write-up. I was able to follow it on a RPI4 2GB using version 5.6 (64 bit) of the OS.

At first I tried 32 bit on the USB 3.0 port but it nothing worked until I tried 64 bit on that same port.

1 Like

i am very happy to say it finally works with this adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLL41MA/
on hassos_rpi4-64-5.6.img with my samsung ssd 120gb and rpi4 2gb. one single usb C for power. running headless since i didnt have any micro hdmi lying around. took at least 5 minutes to see it on my network.
thanks for the instructions!

1 Like

Hi.

Rpi 4gb HassOS 5.6 64bits boot on SSD without issues, but itā€™s not able to add a secondary empty SSD.

HassOS not starts, with hot-plug recive a clash ā€¦

Same hardware configuration works well using a rasbian 32bits with HassOS in docker.

Is it a known problem?

Any trick to solve it?

@tung256 - great news.
How big difference in performance (and reboot time for example) do you see on your setup between SSD and SD card ?

i am actually using Proxmox on a laptop. i got the rpi4 n ssd just to see if i can do it. no intent to use rpi setup unless my laptop dies or something.

I did flash the HassOS 5.6 32-bit dev version (I am using the GPIO), and according to my router it got wired connection. Waited for a long time, but I was unable to get reach the UI.
After a while, 20 minutes or so, the connection got lost according to the router.
Restarted the RPI, and I got connection again. But the same thing as above.
I make a third try, now. If that does not work, I will install RaspBian and use HA from there instead, as that did work in a previous test. Awkard though you need to download an precompile python3.8.

Edit: Also, I am running my RPI headless, so I am unable to see what is happening with HassOS installationā€¦

Edit2: Will try the 4.4.16 version againā€¦

Edit3: Testing to install 5.3, not network connection here, as with the 4.4.16 version. It seems I only got a network connection with 5.6 (5.4 and 5.5 not tested), but not access to UI and the device looses connection after 20 minutes or so. Raspbian works great though, so I reinstall it now.

Why donā€™t you use 64bit. I read somewhere that it should support GPIO.

I have read otherwise. :crazy_face:

Edit: But I will try it just because you said it. :grin:
Edit2: I got a UI connection with the 64-bit version of 5.6 development build (in opposite of the 32-bit version). I will post an update if the GPIO works or not.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I donā€™t use it on Rpi4 8Gb myself, but it will help others to confirm whether it works or not.

I am not 100% sure if it works, as I have old Razberry connected to my GPIO pins.
If I remember it correctly, you need to disable the bluetooth device on the RPI, as it is interfering with the Razberry, but I am not sure how to do it in HassOS. But the Razberry does show in the /dev folder as ttyAMA0, which I expected.
More problemsolving to follow. :face_with_monocle:

Okay, it seems its hard to do anything with HassOS, I cannot find any way to disable bluetooth. So I will reinstall and use Rasbian as a base instead.

Edit:
Now I have installed Raspbian, compiled Python 3.8, and somewhat setup HomeAssistant.
Now my Razberry fitted on the GPIO pins works, by disabling bluetooth.

How did I disable bluetooth?

1. Edit file /boot/config.txt by adding this line:
   dtoverlay=disable-bt

2. Disable bluetooth via terminal:
   $ sudo systemctl disable bluetooth.service
   $ sudo systemctl disable hciuart

3. Enable the serial interface via the raspi-config:
   $ sudo raspi-config

4. Reboot

Note that this is not the same procedure with HassOS, which I do not know how to do.

I have just migrated to SSD and using hassos_rpi4-64-5.6.img.xz and my GPIO are working although at this point I am only using few of them as binary_sensors.

GPIO is officially working in the current 64bit version. Reports that it does not work are from older versions.

1 Like

I can also confirm that:

1. in order to update on-board RPi EEPROM I have used Raspbbery PI Imager (Misc utility images / Raspbbery Pi 4 EEPROM boot recovery) to create a SD card, which I have inserted to RPi, connect power and I guess it was done in less then a minute. I have switched off power after 2 minutes and it was OK

2. was not able to use link to restore snapshot during HA setup. I had snapshot on my laptop and when HA asked to upload it, it was trying and after 10-20 seconds gave error NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource - tried 4 times and gave up. Created user and first screen setup, then restored snapshot (using Samba Add-on) and restored whole HA from snapshot.

3. @Jpsy - might be a suggestion to add to your guide step to check/update configuration in case 1-wire or I2C (or other similar RPi modules) are in use. To my knowledge those are not covered by snapshots and needs to be enabled by editing config.txt file on SSD (and in case of I2C some more steps).

Thank you for this guide and this topic. It helped me a lot to migrate from SD to SSD in approximately 2 hours.

Hi all,
Is it possible to install Home Assistant on a SSD in combination with a raspberry pi 4b with (only) 2gb?
I read all kind of articles about this and all the named rpiā€™s are at least 4 of 8 gb.
I made a mistake when I ordered mine.

Thanks in advance

Iā€™m running it on an ssd with a 4b 2gb myself after following this guide. Itā€™s been up for 1 week working flawlessly. Just remember to use the 64bit version.

Thanks for your reply. Iā€™am struggling to get it to work. But now I know that the hardware is just fine. I have to go back to the settings.

Thanks