Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

Anyone have a method for getting it onto the SSD when SSD is connected to rPi and you cant connect it direct to a PC? I brought m.2 rpi case and didnt think of a usb adaptor to flash it on PC :frowning:

The HA image download page says:

• Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (1 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB model) 32-bit (32-bit is required for GPIO support)
  • Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB model) 64-bit (64-bit is required for 8 GB model)

So it seems you have to use the 32-bit version to use GPIO. And it seems there is no way to use GPIO on an 8Gb model because it requires the 64-bit version.

I saw the info from HA image download page and made some research before using the 64 bit image.
It seems that info is outdated and I received some confirmation that GPIO should work also on v5.5 64 bit.
After my post i notice something, the sensor receive some data from time to time (not reliable) but this confirm that it should work.

And anyway, booting from SSD works only with 64-bit, so i had no choice.

@leo23 this is interesting news. Where did you find the info that GPIO is working with the 64 bit version? Couldnā€™t you use HAā€™s serial integration to directly test the GPIO communication? I guess you would have to temporarily disable the mhz19 sensor platform for that test.

Tried to install the new homeassistantOS with rpi4 / 2Gb but it did not work, have installed hassos 5.3.img/32-bit ,on a SANDisk ssd 120Gb, connected to DELTACO SATA connector, have followed exactly as stated in the description.
With the same DELTACO SATA connector and the same Rpi4/2Gb ,I got started new raspberry pi OS to boot from ssd CRUCIAL 120Gb and worked.
Could it be SanDisc SSD that is the problem?

Did you try the Crucial with the 64 bit version of HA and it worked? If 64 works with Crucial but not with SanDisk then it very much implicates that the type of SSD is relevant too.

I would really like to know what the background logic of these malfunctions is. It is weird that for you the Crucial solved the problem while for me the same Crucial works too but only if I use a certain adaptor. Sounds definitely like there is more than one factor that can break the chain.

@Jpsy, for GPIO on 64 bits see: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hass-io-transfer-from-sd-card-to-ssd-or-usb/97452/438?u=jodur and a few posts below it!

see: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hass-io-transfer-from-sd-card-to-ssd-or-usb/97452/444?u=jodur

HI,
the Crucial120Gb working with Deltaco SATA connections on RPi4 /2Gb boot, but with
Firmware Raspberry OS.
Have not trayed with HassosOS firmware on Crucial.

The firmware HassosOS have trayed with SanDisk with the same Deltaco SATA connections on RPi4/2Gb, with hassos_rpi4-5.0, /5.1/ ,5.3/, 5.4. 32&64-bit .img ,
but Not work,
(rnc0 Timeout waiting for hardware cmd interrupt).
Have not tested HA OS with Crucial120Gb yet.

after installing HASSOS need login and password, which are? there are several who wonder about it. Is there a login / password or no
Can update in the description above if there is or no login / pw.
Then after the installation is done, appear:

Starting HsaaOS supervizor....

[ OK] Started HassOS supervizorā€¦
[ OK] Started Getty on tty1ā€¦
Welcome to Home Assistant
homeassistant login:

what to do after that?

If you press enter, the following will appear:
homeassistant login,
if press enter
will appear:
Password
If I ignore this comes up again this:

Starting HsaaOS supervizor....

[ OK] Started HassOS supervizorā€¦
[ OK] Started Getty on tty1ā€¦
Welcome to Home Assistant
homeassistant login:

How to proceed with it?

Everyone is speaking about SSD. It is connected to a USB port using an adapter.

I have a USB flash drive (usb mass storage). Booting from this device is possible when using a RPi debian distribution. Of course after writing to Rpi EEPROM correctly for RPi 4b 2 GB. But I am not able to boot HassOS. Why not?

Has SSD on USB port same behavior as USB flash drive?

Use HassOs version 5.5 64 bit

Long time lurker on this thread but this is now my first attempt to actually switch over to an SSD install. Iā€™ve followed all of the OP instructions with a headless install to the end where I ā€œStart Home Assistantā€ by plugging the SSD (with fresh HassOS 5.5 x64 install) into the Pi and removing ā€œany remaining SD.ā€

This is where I appear to be stuck (Boot mediation?). No onloading screen appears when I check ā€˜pi.ip.address:8123ā€™ in a browser; it just times out. Similarly, if I try and SSH with a terminal (I only have Windows machines) with ā€˜[email protected]ā€™ I get a ā€œConnection timed out.ā€ When I look in my router settings I can see the pi.ip.address is recognized and connected. Both the Pi (in an ArgonOne case) and SSD have lights on.

And yes, I DO have a SSD casing with JMS583; itā€™s updated with the latest firmware (and isnā€™t Sabrent).

Couple questions: First, if this is working correctly, am I only supposed to have the new SSD plugged into the Pi4, and never have an SD plugged in as well (whether it be the ā€˜old HassOS sd cardā€™ or the separate ā€˜new RaspOS sd card I made just for this install for updating EEPROMā€™?

Second, is what Iā€™m experiencing right now the ā€œextremely long boot times (>30 min)ā€ error? Like what I said above, SSH and :8123 attempts just time out?

Finally, Iā€™ve noticed that virtually every other single RPi4-SSD guide out there eventually requires copying some files from the SD card directly to the SSD card and messing with data partition sizes. Unless Iā€™m blind, I see no such copying of files requirement near the end of OPā€™s instructions. Is that not necessary with this method?

I havenā€™t tried switching to USB 2 port yet, just in case I havenā€™t waited long enough to see if this is a ā€˜extremely long boot timeā€™ situation. I have a couple other SSD enclosures I can try; unfortunately all have JMS583 but they both have confirmed reports by other users of these enclosures that theyā€™ve had success with this.

Edit: I thought I had a Pi4 w/ 8GB but upon closer inspection itā€™s only the 4GB model. Could that (and the HassOS 5.5 x64 install) be the issue?

Hi mate if it helps I had a similar problem with my 4GB Pi4. Didnā€™t know whether to use x32 version or x64 and even then which version of Hass. All I can you is that I used the RPi4 x64 5.5 Hass image, burned it to my SSD using belena etcher or raspberry pi imager, unplugged my SD card, plugged in the SSD to the USB3 slot and it booted up pretty much instantly. I did the same thing as you and waited for 20 mins looking at a black screen before concluding it wasnā€™t working, but that was with the 32bit image.

Make sure your pi eeprom firmware is up to date think September 3rd or something from memory and youā€™ve enabled boot from usb, from the raspi config loader. Hope that helps.

Thanks; certainly reassuring. Although I donā€™t the luxury of staring at a blank black screen because this is a headless system, but at least I know to stop continuing to wait. Iā€™m certain I have the eeprom up to date per the OP instructions; likewise I enabled boot from USB from the raspi-config menu.

Just to confirm, you are running smoothly without an SD card installed, and you never had to copy any files from the SD card to the SSD during your successful process?

My next move is to try these other SSD enclosures first, both with and without the SD card also installed. If those all fail then Iā€™ll try flashing x32 5.5 instead with Etcher. And trying a USB 2.0 port.

I proceeded as follows:
update bootloader
write HassOS 5.5 64bit to SSD
connect SSD to Rpi without SD card
connect the power and let it start
after startup, upload the original HA backup and have it restored
This is how I launched Rpi4 4Gb and later Rpi4 8Gb

Well, surprise surprise I tried one of my other SSD enclosures and HA onboarding fired up instantly via USB 3 even with the pesky JMS583 firmware. Hoping for a smooth HA system restore!

Yes, you remove the SD card and never insert it again.
If your system does not boot within 10 minutes I recommend to switch to USB 2. If this helps, you can be sure that it is an adaptor/casing/disk type problem.

OLD! butā€¦
@ConcordGE , Iā€™m a cinematographer and thatā€™s why I have a lot of micro SD cards for cameras around here. All are Sandisk ExtremePro, Lexar Professional or Samsung Pro Endurance.
My first experience with HA was with a generic SD card that lasted about 8 months befor die. After that I used a Sandisk already used in GoPros, it lasted about 4 months.
After my HA was ā€œcompleteā€ with HADashboard, HACS and several Add-ons, I ā€œkilledā€ one card for each brand I mentioned above.
Thatā€™s why it doesnā€™t matter what tests other sites do, for MY installation I understand that only something with EMMC memory will work without burning in a few months.
My thinking for now.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

Mine on the other hand has lasted four years and still serving me well. Who knows the inner secrets of the SD card world. What is real and what is not but proper testing has served me well. Like you just sharing a personal experience and a little information.

Exactly, there is a role world using Raspberry Pis with SD cards without any issues!
In theory, I understood why SD cards die, but on real world there are some very specific little things that decide witch will die or survive.(is it you COVID?) :thinking:
Have a great weekend.