Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

@dror I believe it will work either way but for sure the first one should work for you (assuming your are running this from the proxmox shell). Proxmox is already running bash so you probably don’t need to tell it to run bash again. You can run which $SHELL to verify. Also apt install bash would install this but it should already be installed by default.

I ran the first line and it worked great. I did get an error and saying “-bash: sudo: command not found” and simply reran this again without sudo in the front (since I was already logged in as root).

Thanks for the script Whiskerz007 and the great writeup Kanga!
Chris

Hi everyone,
Before I added a sfs raid to my proxmox install ha with the .qcow2 image was smooth. Now I’m guetting all the time the same error:

The only thing that I’m changing in the proccess of instaling is to choose my fastMirror storage.

qm importdisk 102 /root/haos_ova-6.6.qcow2 fastMirror --format qcow2

instead od local-lvm I change to fastMirror

No idea qhat can be wrong :pensive:

OK, so I never even made it to first base. Proxmox would not install from the USB stick. I built a NUC using a Ryzen mobile CPU and that was the problem. Some of the proxmox install could not deal with the Ryzen. The fix was convoluted. I first had to load a recent Ubuntu distro, then open and edit some files to do with graphics processing and then install Proxmox over the top. It worked, but not without a fair bit of elephant mating. Involved many hours of googling and learning how to do a Linux install properly. That said, the box now works great and I host HA, Unifi, and Shinobi on it at the moment, and will be adding Plex soon.

1 Like

I believe since you are using ryzen and linux kernel on Proxmox 6 did not able to recognize it on its early detections. I have a documentation to overcome it which is very simple and easily follow. However upon upgrading to Proxmox 7 this issue have been resolve and the USB installation is a breeze.

2 Likes

In case your are still searching, you have to disable the secure boot option in the VM bios.

2 Likes

i have issue about storage the storage on proxmox side is filing up so fast on hass side is free what can i make image

Yes “VirtIO SCSI” is used but the hard disk itself is created as SATA and not SCSI. Why that?

Here a quote from Proxmox 7.1 roadmap:

VMs with SATA as disk bus may show issues when used with io_uring

• For now this can be worked around by switching the disk’s Async IO mode to threads (for cache = >write back/through) or native (for cache = off, none or direct sync), respectively, in the Advanced >options of the disk edit dialogue.
  • Note that SATA is really not the best choice for a VM’s disk bus in general, rather use (VirtIO-) SCSI >for best performance and feature set. For Windows VirtIO support is available through the Windows >VirtIO Drivers

I just migrated everything to Proxmox, and went through this. Frankly speaking, I would follow Proxmox recommendations, that states that virtio-blk is old and has been superseded. It also recommends using virtio-scsi when aiming for performance.

As it is written there, it only has been “superseded” in terms of features, I don’t think that virtio-blk is deprecated in that sense.

But I am fine with virtio-scsi. I was under the assumption the script was using SATA, which I definitly would not recommend at this point.

Not deprecated, but superseded in terms of features, and as I wrote before, they recommend virtio-scsi for performance. So I don’t see any valid reason to recommend virtio-blk and not following Proxmox official recommendations of choosing virtio-scsi with scsi disk.

Agreed. The script is using virtio-scsi controller, and it’s correct, but sata disk, which is not correct.

# Create VM
msg "Creating VM..."
VM_NAME=$(sed -e "s/\_//g" -e "s/.${RELEASE_TYPE}.*$//" <<< $FILE)
qm create $VMID -agent 1 -bios ovmf -name $VM_NAME -net0 virtio,bridge=vmbr0 \
  -onboot 1 -ostype l26 -scsihw virtio-scsi-pci
pvesm alloc $STORAGE $VMID $DISK0 128 1>&/dev/null
qm importdisk $VMID ${FILE%.*} $STORAGE ${IMPORT_OPT:-} 1>&/dev/null
qm set $VMID \
  -efidisk0 ${DISK0_REF},size=128K \
  -sata0 ${DISK1_REF},size=6G > /dev/null
qm set $VMID \
  -boot order=sata0 > /dev/null

Just need to replace sata0 wth scsi0 (needs to be tested):

# Create VM
msg "Creating VM..."
VM_NAME=$(sed -e "s/\_//g" -e "s/.${RELEASE_TYPE}.*$//" <<< $FILE)
qm create $VMID -agent 1 -bios ovmf -name $VM_NAME -net0 virtio,bridge=vmbr0 \
  -onboot 1 -ostype l26 -scsihw virtio-scsi-pci
pvesm alloc $STORAGE $VMID $DISK0 128 1>&/dev/null
qm importdisk $VMID ${FILE%.*} $STORAGE ${IMPORT_OPT:-} 1>&/dev/null
qm set $VMID \
  -efidisk0 ${DISK0_REF},size=128K \
  -scsi0 ${DISK1_REF},size=6G > /dev/null
qm set $VMID \
  -boot order=scsi0 > /dev/null

I’d like to thank @kanga_who for all his amazing contributions with his installation scripts.

UPDATE: I tested the modified script, it works correctly:

1 Like

I see no “cons” nor “pros” to the scsi change.

Made the change in my repo, perception Is everything :wink:

If you choose a SCSI controller, you want to configure a SCSI drive: it’s not perception, it’s consistency, and it’s very important in the magic world of IT, it can prevent unintended consequences. :wink:

1 Like

Hey Guys,

I used this script to install Ha on a Intel Nuc running proxmox, everything worked fine and it says it is running. I am just stuck trying to get the IP adress of the Ha installation.

afbeelding

If i log on to the server (via console) I see that there is no IP v4 set

I tried these url’s:
https://[2001:1c03:5c0d:1a00:2a40:a1c3:cff6:992f]:8123/
https://[fe80::8546:98d9:3e23:ea24]:8123/

Is there any way to revert back to IP v4?

Edit: Tried to old “take the plug out of the modem” trick and now I have a ip v4 adres

afbeelding

Thanks for the scripts/tutorial!

Hi - super, super new user here…

Firstly, thank you so much for writing and maintaining this wonderful guide. My installation experience with it was so much better than my multiple previous attempts. All seems to be working perfectly, now for the newbie question…

How do I configure a static IP address. All of my searching points me to a “Supervisor” link on the home screen of the UI. The problem is that I don’t have such a link. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.

UI change! Doh!

Time to noodle on this… apologies for the disruption.

1 Like

I found this tutorial from @kanga_who to install Proxmox 7 and HA OS on a RPi4! Thank you very much for this! I was planning to use the RPI4 as test/dev system, and when this works fine i plan to move my prod. HA on a NUC also to Proxmox.

However in Section 3, installing Home Assistant, I get at the end this error / [WARNING] message about the serial port and configuration console:

hass@RPi4-PVE-01:~ $ sudo bash -c "$(wget -qLO - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kanga-Who/home-assistant/master/hassos_install.sh)"
[sudo] password for hass:
[INFO] Using 'local' for storage location.
[INFO] Container ID is 100.
Getting URL for latest Home Assistant disk image...
Downloading disk image...
Checking for unzip command
Extracting disk image...
Archive:  haos_ova-7.2.vmdk.zip
  inflating: haos_ova-7.2.vmdk
Creating VM...
Adding serial port and configuring console...
Installing 'kpartx'...
mount: /tmp/tmp.DelaKGmQpX/mnt: /dev/mapper is not a block device.
[WARNING] Unable to configure serial port. VM is still functional.
loop deleted : /dev/loop0
[INFO] Completed Successfully! New VM ID is 100.
hass@RPi4-PVE-01:~ $

Is there something I might have forgotten, previously before starting the install script?
Kind regards, Bert

The guide is not for an Rpi4.

Ok, @kanga_who , My mistake. I’l try to find other info for installing on RPi4. Will keep this for when I am ready for converting my NUC.
Thank you for your swift reaction! Kind regards, Bert

I would not recommend trying to use an Rpi4 to run Proxmox. It’s very much underpowered for this sort of thing.

If you have a NUC, use that. If not, install HA OS on the Pi4.

1 Like