Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

Hi, 𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙘𝙠𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙧 for sure, here’s the Output:

ii  libproxmox-backup-qemu0                 1.4.0                              amd64        Proxmox Backup Server client library for QEMU
ii  pve-qemu-kvm                            8.0.2-3                            amd64        Full virtualization on x86 hardware
ii  qemu-server                             8.0.6                              amd64        Qemu Server Tools

Thanks!

Looks correct, are you using SSH when you execute the script?

Hmmm I would say no, as I don’t start with ssh, just run it as followed:

sudo bash -c "$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/raw/main/vm/haos-vm.sh)"

I did install Debian with SSH server enabled though.

In my view, opting to install Proxmox as the operating system is the most straightforward approach and helps prevent potential future complications.

1 Like

Yes, agree with you, I usually take the least hassle approach, but I’m aiming at a dual boot hence Proxmox over Debian.
I tried the Script these time avoiding Starting HAOS after install so it is in Proxmox but when starting… it won’t, sigh.

I found my solution to this issue in this forum post: Solution to hanging “Preparing Home Installation” screen. Just want to close this issue for those troubleshooting in the future.

I don’t remember if I got the same error message … but in my case it was because my hostname contained an invalid character - tried again with a hyphen instead of underline and it installed OK.

1 Like

I only used step 2 to create the VM, since I already have a fresh Proxmox running on a NUC 13 and wanted to move Home Assiatant away from my Raspberry Pi 4. I encountered two issues:

1: The default VM starts with a 32GB disk. During the restore it appeared the disk ran out of storage and left me with a barely working HA. It took me a while to find out it was storage related instead of SSL. HAOS is very limited for troubleshooting.

2: is a Proxmox thing in combination with ZFS and RAM ballooning. I thought it would be nice to give HA a bunch of RAM (12 GB) to speed up the process. With a total of 32GB RAM and only this VM running, this shoud’ve been plenty. However, during the restore, the Linux Out Of Memory Killer kicked in and killed the VM.

After this, and a good night of sleep, I finally managed to move Home Assistant away from the RPI 4 with the “unsupported OS” Ubuntu and it’s 2 GB of memory.
Thanks for the script!!

Worked like a charm for me. Proxmox 7.4-16 on an HP Mini PC. Thank you very much for this gentle onboarding.

BTW: you have to --force the qmrestore to allow restoring onto another VM id.

Responding to a post that’s nearly a year old, I’d like to clarify that the mentioned “backup” in that post pertains to the backup created within Home Assistant, not a backup of a virtual machine.

Oh, sorry for resurrecting this. I first thought that “reply” means “directly under that post”. Didn’t know that it comes way below here.

Anyway, this thread is found when searching for “proxmox homeassistent reboot problem” - and thanks, this is a very important detail - you should maybe edit your post there - if that is possible.

I believe that when the entire post is read, it becomes evident that the discussion pertains to creating a “full backup of Home Assistant and downloading it.”

Additionally, when restoring a VM backup from the same storage where the VM backup is located, a new VMID will be assigned.

Yes, but that are >1000 posts. No chance getting an overview within reasonable time.

Then take your time.

1 Like

I’m getting an unusual wget error when trying to use the Home Assitant OS script from post #1

[ERROR] in line 384: exit code 4: while executing command wget -q --show-progress $URL

It’s a fresh install of Virtual Environment 8.0.3

I manually had to download the first script as well. I’ve tried to update wget via apt. It say’s it up to date and installed.

# wget -V
GNU Wget 1.21.3 built on linux-gnu.

-cares +digest -gpgme +https +ipv6 +iri +large-file -metalink +nls 
+ntlm +opie +psl +ssl/gnutls

Any ideas?

In most cases, an exit code of 4 from wget could indicate network-related issues or errors.

Thanks for the post, just migrated last week to a NUC7 J5005 with 16GB RAM. Restoring the 2GB backup took 4 hours… I left the machine as i440fx, with q35 was not booting.

Haven’t used proxmox before. The cpu I have is 4 core. If I assign 2 cores to Home Assistant, will I be left with 1 core? I am assuming proxmox will need some cpu for itself…

Are fractional cores supported? like 1.5 cores etc? Planning to have 2 VM’s on the machine with one running HA and the other running a few docker containers.

Stuck at stage 2.1. I paste the script, press Enter and nothing happens. Please help.

1 Like