Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

Have you checked that Virtualization is enabled in the bios?

Section 1 - Installing Proxmox VE 7

1.1) You will want to ensure UEFI Boot & Virtualization is enabled and Secure Boot is disabled in the bios of your machine.

The Mini PC is a Mele Quieter 3Q which has way to many BIOS options even for my liking :smiley:
It is enabled in the BIOS and e.g. lscpu says it has vt-x and vmx, so assuming it is OK.
I don’t mind bugs in my free software, just weird there is no clue or crash log :slight_smile:

Best results so far with one core per VM… will look for similar bugs in that direction.

I have tried to use the guide and it seems to work perfect! Thanks a lot.

I do have one question - I moved from a RPI with a static IP adress allocated by the router. I have done the same for Proxmox now, but what about the VM with HA - can I also allocate that a fixed IP or does that not make any sense in this regard?

Generally speaking, if you do VM, each VM instance should be getting its own IP, which would be different from your Proxmox box, and different from your other VM’s.

So in your router, you likely could do the same (allocated IP) for the HAOS VM… your router likely wouldn’t know or care that it is not a real metal box.

Just did the installation on a Nuc. Very easy and fast. thanks!
I have had some trouble (random lockups) running Home assistant operation system direct on the Nuc. With Proxmox I can monitor if something goes off the wall.

Thanks

2 Likes

The Home Assistant OS VM script now supports the following storage types:
lvmthin, nfs, dir, zfspool and btrfs.

Hello there! I had the same issue after upgrading above Kernel 5.13.19-3. HA OS VM restarting or hanging randomly at least one time every hour. Other VM working fine with uptimes over a month
Mini pc with n5095 proxmox 7 tested with HA OS 8 and 7.6. installation with scripts or manually no diference.
UEFI Boot & Virtualization is enabled and Secure Boot is disabled
When returned to Kernel 5.13.19-2 which was my 1st install kernel I had no such issues.
If I have time I will look into it but for now I will stick to Kernel 5.13.19-2.

That’s interesting! Have you tried the latest 5.15.39-1-pve kernel?

Tried
pve-kernel-5.15.35-2-pve: 5.15.35-5 some time ago
and
pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve: 5.13.19-15 which noticed this behaviour for first time

1 Like

I noticed that 8.3 updated to kernel 5.15.52

8.3 ? do you mean 7.3 ?

Sorry, HAOS 8.3

I can try that with new VM. Do you think HAOS 8.3 and latest pve kernel will solve this ?

Have no idea. This is the first time I’ve heard about a possible kernel issue. Good investigative work though.

I have tried everything I could think. there are some posts on forums for possible problems with pve kernel above that I posted earlier so I noticed that when I did new proxmox install with my old downloaded proxmox (after I messed up something) everything was normal. when tried to upgrade proxmox HA restarts came back. Reverted to old kernel fixed the issue.
I will try latest kernel and then HAOS 8.3 when I have time to play.
Thank you @tteck !

1 Like

I also downgraded the PVE kernel to the last 5.13 and still had these types of issues. In my case the VM is/was only rebooting/hanging after a longer time usually. I’m back on 5.15 currently.

I tried a lot of different things already and so far the only situation without any of this is where I’m only using n-1 cores for all containers/VM.

Now using 3/4 cores (1 for Adguard container, 2 for haos VM) and I guarantee you if I start my homebridge container (1 core) that haos will crash after a few hours :slight_smile:

In the rare case where it hangs, I get somewhat these errors: rcu: INFO: rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU | Proxmox Support Forum

If it reboots, nothing usable in the logs. Not ruling out that the reboot and crash are two different problems.

I’ve been using Proxmox edge kernels, running 5.18.10-edge now.

Some have suggested that the edge kernel has fixed all of their 5.15 issues.
I’m using it on one server, I like that it’s keeping up with new kernel releases instead of LTS.

EDIT: There’s a Edge Kernel Tool
Screenshot 2022-07-13 1.30.13 PM

2 Likes

Installed PVE Edge Kernel and HAOS 8.3… fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Edit: still running after about 35 hours…

1 Like

is anyone having random restarts installing using this method? HAOS restarts but proxmox stil shows that it is still up