Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

That’s normal, Proxmox does not know what is going on “inside” your VM unless you add stuff so the two talk to each other. Proxmox is not a method to check if Home Assistant is “running” to me.

For the random reboots and crashes, I had the same, so I installed Home Assistant OS 8.3 (VM) and switched to the Edge Kernel (Proxmox). Have not had a crash since 5 days now after doing this.

Edit:
To update to 8.3, in the VM shell: ha os update --version 8.3
To switch to PVE Edge Kernel: run script found at Proxmox Helper Scripts | Proxmox Scripts For Home Automation

Just accidentally rebooted to get you this information :sweat_smile:

Thanks a lot, I found the guide from the previous few posts. Will monitor.

Both are using the Intel Celeron N5105 Processor

Hello, I have the problem that you are dealing with in the last messages. I have a VM with HA OS, core version 2022.6.7, operating system version 8.2. If I update to core version 2022.7.6, the HA VM loses connection and cannot access my instance in any way. I have tried updating the operating system to version 8.3 and updating to the latest version of the core, with the same result, the VM keeps losing the connection. I have installed kernel 5.18 edge, along with operating system 8.3 and core 2022.7.6, also with the same result. I’ve even done a cleanup of old kernels. I have loaded a backup with HA core version 2022.6.7, operating system 8.2 and the kernel I have returned to 5.15 and everything works fine here. I don’t know what else to try, my knowledge is not very extensive. My proxmox is installed on a NUC i3. Sorry for my English, I’m using a translator.

That sounds like a totally different issue. May wanna start a new topic?

Home Assistant OS 8.4

• Linux: Update kernel 5.15.55

Changed

• Home Assistant OS VM
    • Present the drive to the guest as a solid-state drive rather than a rotational hard disk. There is no requirement that the underlying storage actually be backed by SSD’s.
    • When the VM’s filesystem marks blocks as unused after deleting files, the SCSI controller will relay this information to the storage, which will then shrink the disk image accordingly.

Thanks for these updates!

Are these settings we can manually change in an existing installation or does this require a reinstall?

1 Like

Click on VM > Hardware > Hard Disk > Edit
enable the following
Screenshot 2022-07-24 1.51.55 PM
Then reboot VM. I don’t know if previous unused blocks will be removed.

Changed

• Home Assistant OS VM
    • Set the real time clock (RTC) to local time.
    • Disable the USB tablet device (save resources / not needed).

1 Like

Edge only was not fix for me. 8.3 and 8.4 did the job. I am stable now too!

1 Like

Screenshot 2022-08-01 7.16.24 AM

v4 Script - Whiptail menus
The goal is to get input from the user in a friendly way.

3 Likes

Hi guys,
I’ve tried running the install scrip but keep getting this error:

Is anyone able to assist?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Run pvesm status -content images | awk 'NR>1' in the Proxmox shell and share the results

You have no designated storage for images.
Tell me more about your Proxmox setup. Did you follow this guide setting it up?

Ok thanks…
I followed: Network Chuck’s install guide as it’s my first attempt at this…
This is what disks are in the machine running Proxmox:

Are you able to assist in designating storage?
(Again, apologies, I’m a newbie at Proxmox)

Bad guide, he tells you to delete local-lvm (lvmthin), terrible idea! I’d suggest starting over following this guide!

Ok cool, will do so- thanks so much!

When you delete local-lvm, you loose thin provisioning.

Thin Provisioning

A number of storages, and the Qemu image format qcow2, support thin provisioning. With thin provisioning activated, only the blocks that the guest system actually use will be written to the storage.

Say for instance you create a VM with a 32GB hard disk, and after installing the guest system OS, the root file system of the VM contains 3 GB of data. In that case only 3GB are written to the storage, even if the guest VM sees a 32GB hard drive. In this way thin provisioning allows you to create disk images which are larger than the currently available storage blocks. You can create large disk images for your VMs, and when the need arises, add more disks to your storage without resizing the VMs’ file systems.

All storage types which have the “Snapshots” feature also support thin provisioning.

1 Like