Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 12

Im tried few times to re install the home assistant version and seems to be succesfully installed with that command that should be the latest version:

wget https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/releases/latest/download/homeassistant-supervised.deb

but for some reason on docker is the same version…

Make sure you have deleted older versions of `homeassistant-supervised.deb which might be still existent in the download directory before using a newer version of the script .

If you have followed the above Upgrade Guide to Debian 12 note the paragraph saying:

cd /usr/local/src
sudo rm -f homeassistant-supervised.deb
sudo wget https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/releases/latest/download/homeassistant-supervised.deb
sudo dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb
2 Likes
  1. I stopped the Home Assistant on Docker.
  2. I deleted everything related to homeassistant-supervised.deb in the /usr/local/src directory.
  3. I redownloaded and reinstalled it as shown in the logs below.
  4. The version has now changed as seen in Docker.
  5. I installed the latest version of Docker, which, according to reports, solves the problem.

Finally, as you can see, unfortunately, the result is the same; I am getting the same error.

@Raspi:/usr/local/src
homeassistant-supervised.deb  os-agent_1.6.0_linux_aarch64.deb
@Raspi:/usr/local/src$ sudo dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb
(Reading database ... 168477 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack homeassistant-supervised.deb ...
[warn]
[warn] If you want more control over your own system, run
[warn] Home Assistant as a VM or run Home Assistant Core
[warn] via a Docker container.
[warn]
[info] Stopping hassio_supervisor service
[info] Stopping hassio_apparmor service
[info] Removing existing hassio_supervisor container
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.real by homeassistant-supervised'
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default to /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default.real by homeassistant-supervised'
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/docker/daemon.json to /etc/docker/daemon.json.real by homeassistant-supervised'
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/network/interfaces to /etc/network/interfaces.real by homeassistant-supervised'
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/systemd/resolved.conf to /etc/systemd/resolved.conf.real by homeassistant-supervised'
Unpacking homeassistant-supervised (1.7.0) over (1.7.0) ...
Setting up homeassistant-supervised (1.7.0) ...
[info] Reload systemd
[info] Restarting NetworkManager
[info] Enable systemd-resolved
[info] Restarting systemd-resolved
[info] Restarting docker service
PING checkonline.home-assistant.io (104.26.5.238) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 104.26.5.238: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=35.7 ms

--- checkonline.home-assistant.io ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 35.706/35.706/35.706/0.000 ms
[info] Install supervisor startup scripts
[info] Install AppArmor scripts
[info] Start Home Assistant Supervised
[info] Installing the 'ha' cli
[info] Within a few minutes you will be able to reach Home Assistant at:
[info] http://homeassistant.local:8123 or using the IP address of your
[info] machine: http://192.168.1.15:8123

@Raspi:/usr/local/src$ docker ps -a
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                                                             COMMAND                  CREATED          STATUS                             PORTS                                                                                  NAMES
9b77130351bf   ghcr.io/hassio-addons/influxdb/aarch64:4.8.0                      "/init"                  22 seconds ago   Up 19 seconds                      0.0.0.0:8086->8086/tcp, :::8086->8086/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8088->8088/tcp, :::8088->8088/tcp   addon_a0d7b954_influxdb
d9fa19cb8768   ghcr.io/hassio-addons/adguard/aarch64:4.8.17                      "/init"                  22 seconds ago   Up 21 seconds (health: starting)                                                                                          addon_a0d7b954_adguard
18519c25a303   ghcr.io/hassio-addons/uptime-kuma/aarch64:0.9.1                   "/init"                  22 seconds ago   Up 19 seconds                      0.0.0.0:3001->3001/tcp, :::3001->3001/tcp                                              addon_a0d7b954_uptime-kuma
4cb9a97891c8   ghcr.io/hassio-addons/grafana/aarch64:9.1.1                       "/init"                  22 seconds ago   Up 19 seconds (health: starting)                                                                                          addon_a0d7b954_grafana
79d446f71d8e   sabeechen/hassio-google-drive-backup-aarch64:0.111.1              "python3 -m backup"      22 seconds ago   Up 19 seconds                      0.0.0.0:1627->1627/tcp, :::1627->1627/tcp, 8099/tcp                                    addon_cebe7a76_hassio_google_drive_backup
d9c70bfadb48   ghcr.io/home-assistant/generic-x86-64-homeassistant:landingpage   "/usr/bin/landingpage"   26 seconds ago   Exited (1) 21 seconds ago                                                                                                 homeassistant
f569fa6da944   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-multicast:2024.03.0         "/init"                  33 seconds ago   Up 32 seconds                                                                                                             hassio_multicast
a14eeda76bce   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-audio:2023.12.0             "/init"                  34 seconds ago   Up 32 seconds                                                                                                             hassio_audio
c5bc23db497e   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-dns:2024.03.0               "/init"                  34 seconds ago   Up 33 seconds                                                                                                             hassio_dns
3133efaabe81   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-cli:2024.03.1               "/init"                  35 seconds ago   Up 34 seconds                                                                                                             hassio_cli
69c04699b30b   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-supervisor:latest           "/init"                  41 seconds ago   Up 39 seconds                                                                                                             hassio_supervisor
e72aa6be55dd   ghcr.io/home-assistant/aarch64-hassio-observer:2023.06.0          "/usr/bin/observer"      5 months ago     Up 53 seconds                      0.0.0.0:4357->80/tcp, :::4357->80/tcp                                                  hassio_observer

@Raspi:/usr/local/src$ docker logs d9c70bfadb48
exec /usr/bin/landingpage: exec format error
@Raspi:/usr/local/src$ ^C
@Raspi:/usr/local/src$ docker version
Client: Docker Engine - Community
 Version:           25.0.4
 API version:       1.44
 Go version:        go1.21.8
 Git commit:        1a576c5
 Built:             Wed Mar  6 16:32:20 2024
 OS/Arch:           linux/arm64
 Context:           default

It looks like you have really screwed your installation!

Only containers built for the native platform can run on a host. If you run Debian 32bit on a RPi4 it is arm32 v7 docker builds or if you run Debian 64bit it is arm64 v8 docker builds.

Do yourself a favor and follow KruseLuds advice or even better stay away from HA Supervised since this kind of installation makes solid Linux knowledge mandatory.

4 Likes

Try this:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

I am running HA on a NUC running Debian 11 along with Portainer and a few other docker containers. It has been running fine, however today I noticed that I could no longer see logs for add-ons - might have been after a recent update. I only got the following error: Failed to get add-on logs, No systemd-journal-gatewayd Unix socket available

I followed the steps noted to upgrade to Debian 12 and system-journal shows as version 252.22-1, however the error remained. One thing I have noticed is that I would see there was an upgrade available for the agent, but when I disable portainer and restart hassio-supervisor the update would disappear and not come back even if I got it to check for updates. I checked and saw I was still on an old version and so manually updated to 1.6.0 by doing a wget for latest and installing. Then rebooted. I have had the message Unsupported system - Systemd Journal issues for quite some time, but the logs still showed.

After all the updates and upgrades, I now have the following (when Portainer is also running):
Unhealthy system - Docker misconfigured
Unsupported system - Systemd Journal issues
Unsupported system - Unsupported software
I believe the first and third is due to Portainer running and other docker containers being on the Nuc.

Wondering what I may need to do so that logs will again show for add-ons.
Not sure if this may fix it: SystemD Journal warning is still there after 6 months - #8 by francisp
Current versions, etc:

Edit: I followed this and it fixed the issue: SystemD Journal warning is still there after 6 months - #10 by ShortPutt

This is correct. There are no other docker containers allowed except the default which come with HA Supervised.

If you need Portainer I recommend to use alexbelgium’s excellent “Home assistant add-on: Portainer” which is well maintained and wont render your HA Supervised installation to “Unsupported/Unhealthy”.

2 Likes

I followed the guide up to the step sudo apt full-upgrade -y. However, I then got an error

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x82 in position 6: invalid start byte dpkg: error while cleaning up: installed python3-debian package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/python3-debian_0.1.49_all.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

And have been stuck since. I tried manually downloading and installing the package, rebooting, purge, uninstall, etc… never gets past that message. Any help?

Try the following from CLI:

sudo -i

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/python3-debian_0.1.49_all.deb
apt --fix-broken install
apt full-upgrade -y
apt --purge autoremove -y

Unfortunately, it just results in the same error. I also tried manually downloading the package and installing it, to make sure it’s not a corrupted download from that one source, but again, same error.

I assume you are trying to upgrade from Debian 11 to Debian 12 (not a new Debian 12 installation)?

Correct.

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Release:        11
Codename:       bullseye

What does

sudo locale -a

show?

C
C.UTF-8
en_US.utf8
POSIX

Looks correct.

What SSH client are you using for connecting to the Debian console? Make sure Character Encoding is set to “UTF-8” on the SSH client side.

Putty, and encoding is set to that, yes.

So the issue happens after running

sudo apt upgrade --without-new-pkgs -y

and before

sudo apt full-upgrade -y

Is this correct?

No, it happened at the end of sudo apt full-upgrade -y. It went through a few hundred (?) packages fine, then ended with the error above.

Well, that upgrade command is obviously failing.

Please show the output of the following commands:

sudo cat /etc/apt/sources.list

and if available:

sudo cat /etc/apt/apt.conf

Please also show the output of:

sudo python3 --version

Any update on support for this witrh RPI5?