Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

Why ? I used to always install under the root user. However, then errors usually occurred with an enviable frequency.

because it’s really bad practice to run as root user and as you see it screws things up

1 Like

Is it possible that a recent docker upgrade messes things up again?
Upgraded docker-ce as part of an overall update of the underlying Debian system earlier on, and now supervisor won’t set up anymore.

To verify, I did the same on a backup system I have and the exact same thing happened.
Reading through this thread and some others, it appears that similar things have happened in the past…

Running suoervised on Debian Bookworm on an Intel nuc 8.

Just had the exact same issue myself. Not yet figured out how to fix

Clear. I checked, there wasn’t a bug reported yet as far as I can see.
Now there is.

1 Like

Someone posted this as a temporary workaround, basically a downgrade of docker ce

sudo apt install \
docker-compose-plugin=2.21.0-1~debian.12~bookworm \
docker-ce-cli=5:24.0.7-1~debian.12~bookworm \
docker-buildx-plugin=0.11.2-1~debian.12~bookworm \
docker-ce=5:24.0.7-1~debian.12~bookworm \
docker-ce-rootless-extras=5:24.0.7-1~debian.12~bookworm
2 Likes

yes I did same for Ubuntu and working again. Thanks for posting, I was about to as thought I was going crazy

1 Like

So my logs from - cat /var/log/apt/history.log

Upgrade: docker-compose-plugin:arm64 (2.21.0-1~debian.11~bullseye, 2.24.1-1~debian.11~bullseye), docker-ce-cli:arm64 (5:24.0.7-1~debian.11~bullseye, 5:25.0.0-1~debian.11~bullseye), docker-buildx-plugin:arm64 (0.11.2-1~debian.11~bullseye, 0.12.1-1~debian.11~bullseye), docker-ce:arm64 (5:24.0.7-1~debian.11~bullseye, 5:25.0.0-1~debian.11~bullseye), docker-ce-rootless-extras:arm64 (5:24.0.7-1~debian.11~bullseye, 5:25.0.0-1~debian.11~bullseye)

Installation - Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 11
So when I downgrade (do I need to include ‘arm64’ or remove it; can someone suggest how to fix it to address my scenario)

sudo apt install
docker-compose-plugin=arm64~2.21.0-1~debian.11~bullseye
docker-ce-cli=arm64 5:24.0.7-1~debian.11~bullseye
docker-buildx-plugin=arm64 0.11.2-1~debian.11~bullseye
docker-ce=arm64 5:24.0.7-1~debian.11~bullseye
docker-ce-rootless-extras=arm64 5:24.0.7-1~debian.11~bullseye

Hello may be I was the first to report in GItHub, but I can confirm as a temporary workaround, you must downgrade Docker packages to the previuos working version.

You can find a brief guide in GitHub post, I wrote for newbies like me!

Hope there will be a long term solution!
Bye

See the commands I used in github post: I think we are in the very same configuration.
It worked for me and now my HA is working 100%
Bye

1 Like

@AlexMPH , @bighead85 @brianuab Please make sure you adhere to the ADR HERE and have Docker CE 20.10.17. If you are not running that specific version you may encounter problems with Supervised.

Also note that Ubuntu is not a supported OS and hasn’t been for about 2 years now. If you have not followed the ADR and the recommendations in this guide, please do not post for support or advice on how to fix problems.

3 Likes

Except that it says that:

Docker CE >= 20.10.17

So an update should in theory - clearly not in practice - break it, as it does not ask for a specific version just a minimum version

Unless something introduced in the newest Docker version does break it, which it seems to have.

Pretty simple solution, follow the ADR and additionally lock your version from updating. No need to update Docker if your HA is working and you are adhering to the ADR.

1 Like

I can confirm that docker-ce update breaks also a running Debian supervised Home Assistant. MariaDB will not start any more. See MariaDb container suddenly stopped starting

That is not what the ADR says though, is it?

Anyway, a fix on Docker side is on the way, which is expected to be retrofitted in version 25.0.1 (it’s the version 25 that breaks things) (ref:

)

1 Like

Docker ce 25.0.1 was just released with a fix for this, and multiple users (including me) have indicated it now works.

1 Like

Better be wise and wait before upgrading Docker. There is absolutely no reason to rush but let it settle and mature before hopping to 25.0.x.

While for some Docker CE 25.0.1 seem to work with HA Supervisor other users are still having issues with some addons like i.e InfluxDB and ebusd. More about the latter HERE.

that’s not what the ADR actually says. The ADR only specifies a MINIMUM docker version. v25.0.1 seems to have fixed all issues I was seeing

1 Like

I understand that, I suggested in my next post…

If you have a working system and have the ADR minimum version of all the dependencies there is no need to update them and risk breaking your install.

Docker updates breaking HA installs has happened a few times now, I don’t see the point in updating it unless it’s to meet a change in the ADR or patch a security flaw.

I only update when HA forces new dependencies. I’ve only update handful of times since 2018. No reason to stay current with Debian when it’s meant to be LTS.

3 Likes