Installing ozwdaemon in docker on RPi with HA

I have just removed the default Z-wave integration in favor of Open Z Wave (beta). I have a MQTT installed and working, but not listening for anything. I understand with the latest OZW beta that ozwdaemon is required. I’d like to keep it all on the RPi for now, but I’m having difficulty installing. I’m running HA core 2021.1.5.

I’ve attempted to install a docker on the RPi through HA’s SSH add-on, but after I run the docker install script, I get ERROR: Unsupported distribution 'alpine', which I assume means I’m trying to run the wrong docker installer package… but I’m not sure how to, 1) get docker installed, so I can 2) install ozwdaemon on the docker, so then I can 3) get Open Z Wave (beta) going.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance…

Home Assistant OS is using Docker already. You need to go down to the OS of your RPI and run the ozwdaemon container there.

If you are using Supervised HA, you don’t need to install anything. You don’t even need MQTT installed. Go into the HA UI, Configuration -> Integrations, add the OpenZWave integration and it will guide you through the installation.

Well, I did that… and I’ve added OpenZWave to my left-hand menu, but all I’m seeing is this. And when I select my Z-wave dongle and click Start, it disconnects.

My USB dongle is located at /dev/ttyUSB1, according to the hardware listing on the System tab:

serial:
  - /dev/ttyAMA0
  - /dev/ttyUSB0
  - >-
    /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_C1301B05-if00-port0
  - /dev/ttyUSB1
  - >-
    /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_C1301B05-if01-port0
input: []
disk:

I have previously added Z-wave devices and controlled them using the default Z-wave integration. I wanted to use OpenZWave to gain some additional control over devices. Any help would be great.

I haven’t been able to SSH into the RPi since I set up https access with Lets Encrypt/DuckDNS. I can access Home Assistant via the SSH GUI… different issue, I know.

This morning, I removed the OpenZWave add-on and integration restarted HA server, and tried again. I checked the box to use the Supervisor add-on. I entered /dev/ttyUSB1 for USB device path and 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY, 0xYY for my network key, where “YY” is some hex. I got the message, " Success! Created configuration for OpenZWave."

In the integration, though, I don’t get any further than this. And I hit the same roadblock in the add-on as I linked to above.

You have already confirmed that the z-wave port is not /dev/ttyUSB0 instead?

In post #4 above, I believe it confirms the z-wave port is /dev/ttyUSB1, does it not?

The hardware listing doesn’t tell you which one is zwave, how did you determine that? Other posts I am seeing say USB0 for z-wave and USB1 for zigbee.

If USB0 is the correct one, then you should pick /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_C1301B05-if00-port0 for best results.

Ahh, brilliant! Thank you. Yes, this helped. It was in fact USB0 for Z-wave. I’m now seeing some (all?) of my previously-added Z-wave nodes. It looks like OZW is still getting status for many of them.

I’m sure I will have more questions, but I really appreciate the help.