Insteon configuration panel

OK, quick update. I found another mention of an issue similar to mine and seems like it might have been due to the web browser (Firefox) and/or the computer I was using. I was able to go into the Android App and delete the scripts. Didn’t see the UI error there, so might not have needed to delete. Started over, rebooted my computer and the script is working again.

I’m hesitant to do a “duplicate” again so I guess I’ll just create scripts for the rest of my Insteon scenes one by one. Thanks @kbrown01 for the idea. It works very well.

I’m not sure what created your original problem with the duplicated script not being stored in scripts.yaml. I duplicate automations and scripts all the time without any issue like that. You do have to click the SAVE SCRIPT button bottom-right corner or it won’t get written to [scripts|automations].yaml.

FYI, I only have 4 inseon switches and 1 dimmer and since I have no need or use for scenes, I’ve never used them so I can’t provide any feedback related specifically to scenes.

Your welcome. How is the speed? I would think it is pretty fast but of course the Cloud is involved so it would depend totally on your connection.

The other tidbit I would be interested in is have you examined the state of the light/switch in HA Gui? Meaning if you say “Alexa, turn on Kitchen” and that goes Alexa->Nabu Casa->Your HA->Your Hub->multiple switches, does the state in the GUI update and how fast?

I’m thinking the flow probably looks something like this?
“Alexa, turn on kitchen” → EchoDevice → AlexaCloud (SCENE : SCRIPT) → NabuCasaCloud → HA (SCRIPT : SCENE) → InsteonHub (MULTIPLE COMMANDS) → Switches → (STATE REPORT) → Hub → HA

With my Alexa, from voice command acknowledgement beep to things happening is under a second and when the light turns on, the state in the HA Companion App on my phone, which adds another transmission sequence via Wi-Fi, appears instantaneous.

For me, it all happens almost in the blink of an eye!

1 Like

Just tested it. I would say it takes a little more than 1 second from Google acknowledging the command to the lights actually turning on. This is a noticeable amount slower than when I used Google with Homeseer, but still livable.

The status of the lights (on vs. off) was not updated at all in HA after the script was executed. The lights still show as off 5 minutes after. I also noticed that the light status was incorrect before I ran the script (lights were off, but were shown as on) so I turned them off in HA before running the script.

I think I saw mention somewhere else in this forum that others have had issues with status in HA being incorrect. Will have to look into that some more.

Here’s one post on the subject…

1 Like

Understood and I have similar/same issues … BUT … only using insteon scene on/off. Which (in your post you referenced) is amplified by direct “scenes” in Insteon done by linking switches together.

I have several fanlincs. And I went through the process of linking those 6 button controllers to them which in itself is a nightmare just to be sure button “A” turns off button “B,C,D” etc.

Then I put in Home Assistant.

And I “deprogrammed” every direct button in all my multi-button switches because they are not used. Every place that I have a multi-button switch in the house now has a Android pad mounted above it. In fact, most people who visit/stay/live in our house do not even use switches anymore.

The fanlincs are hard wired to always hot (remember to duck when you connect it) and controlled through Home Assistant.

Don’t know what to say. :person_shrugging: I never invested in Insteon past my 2413S PowerLinc serial modem, 5 x 2477S switches scattered thoughout the house and a 2477D that I’m not currently using. I did have it in the bathroom for a while but it did not play well with the 6 LED bulbs and switched it out for a Zooz ZEN77 dimmer which does. And I’ve never used scenes of any type at any time.

I have a question. If I remember correctly, you’re the one with the 80 or 90 insteon devices lol

I want to pick up a fanlinc for the bedroom

I actually don’t care about the Lights part of it because the ceiling fan the lamps a couple light strips, etc. are all Phillips wiz and are controlled by their compatible light switch on the wall. The fan itself will be hardwired and I only want to use Home Assistant to control the speed of the fan.

No fancy insteon touchpad and no factory remote

My fan has six different fan speeds. Is that a problem with Fanlinc? Does it have to be three? Can you customize it to whatever amount of speeds you need so I don’t burn the motor out?

Thats all, wondering if you know the answer thanks

I think it is only three. Four if you count off. My fans are exactly like that. Hardwired, no switch, fanlinc only but are all three speed low, med, high.

https://www.insteon.com/ceiling-fan-controller

Clearly states three speeds plus off.

I wonder if it would still work with my fan . I’m fine with only having low medium and high

I just don’t get how fanlinc knows what speed low is for example versus pressing it on regular remote

Orrrr, does that not matter at all the way a fan operates, and fanlinc just does the math itself

If you still have the remote and it is IR or RF, i would buy a broadlink and program the codes. That way you have complete functionality without potential damage.

I use this for an 8 speed Big Ass Fan. Just program speed up, speed down, power on, power off, fwd, rev, and whoosh mode.

I actually do have a BroadLink for a couple other things. And I’ve tried to do exactly that with this fan but per my Google search, Harborbreeze runs on 304 MHz and BroadLink range is between 315 and 433.

I’ve tried a million times and I can’t get anything to be recognized

I bought this fan along before I was into Home automation and it’s the only one I have that I want to automate I might end up buying a whole new fan to suit my needs lol

Thanks for the replies

I have a gate opener (non rolling code) that is on 310 and managed to get the Broadlink to pair. It did take many tries and being sure to hold the action button for a long time until the frequency scan completed and then tapped it once to grab it. Certainly at least 10-15 tries before I got it right.

304-310 are normally like the range of those little visor ones in a car.

I took a spare one button remote used to open the gate and a spare Broadlink I had at the house and after many tries, got it to work and could see the light flash. I took the base64 code and copied that into a script at the gate Broadlink which is even on a different Home Assistant instance and voila. I would note that I was not succesful just sending Broad Link + Device + Button name, it did not work even after it was memorized. It does work in the broadlink app though which is confusing … but the b64 code did the trick so maybe there is some frequency stored in that code.

Better, added that to a webhook and can tell my Alexa’s here … which goes … Alexa → Alexa Cloud → Nabu Home Cloud → Home Assistant → Home Asssitant Remote → Open Gate. Works in less than a second,

I drove myself crazy all day trying to do the BroadLink with ten fan . I was gettting the green check mark I. HA finally but nothing happening on the fan . Not sure what that b64 part means

The .storage directory under .homeassistant. in that direct is a file that has every command for your Broadlink.

I have two at this house, and look:

And If I look inside one of those files:

This file shows that that Broadlink has a device called “Master Denon” and a command called “Open”. That command is the “bcAIA…” b64 encoded code.

You can actually send that command to a Broadlink and it will send out the signal.

Ok my bad I do know that is. If you look at my screen shot, fireplace and cigar(exhaust fan) hav been working great.

I just was able learn the power and speed one command for ceiling fan. When I close send remote command In developer tools it gives the green check mark. The light flashes on BroadLink. But nothing happens with the ceiling fan. Is the b64 command supposed to start with the letter B?

I do it like this (edited the command, but it starts with b64:):

alias: Open Gate
sequence:
  - service: remote.send_command
    metadata: {}
    data:
      device: Gate
      command: >-
        b64:bcAIA4y6BAARc0VCQ0JDREJDQ0NCQxEABKMRdERCQ0NDQ0NCQ0NDQxEABKISdENDQ0JDQ0NDQ0NDQhEABKISdERCQ0NDQ0NCQ0NDQxEABKISdENDQ0JEQkNDQ0NDQhEABKMRdERCQ0NDQ0NCQ0NDQxEABKISdENDQ0JEQkNDQ0NDQxAABKMRdERCREJDQ0NCRENCQxEABKMRdERCQ0NDQkNDQ0NDQxAABKMRdERCREJDQ0NDQ0NCQxEABKISdERCQ0JEQkNDQ0NDQxAABKMRdERCREJDQ0NDQ0JDQxEABKISdERCQ0NDQkRCQ0NDQxEABKISc0RCREJDQ0NDQ0NCQxEABKMRdERCQ0NDQkNDQ0NDQxEABKISc0RDQ0JDQ0NDQ0NCQxEABKMRdERCQ0NDQ0JDQ0NDQxEABKMRc0RCREJDQ0NDQ0NCQxEABKISdERCQ0NDQ0NCQ0NDQxEABKISc0RCREJDQ0NDQ0NDQhEABKMRd....
    target:
      entity_id: remote.broadlink_gate
mode: single
icon: mdi:gate

You add the b64: part in the remote.send_command service.

So did the remote actually have 6 speed buttons and a power button?
Or does it have power on/off and speed up/down?

ITs one power button and 6 separate speed buttons.
I dunno, this might be a failed project. I dunno what IM doign wrong now, but I do the learn remote in developer tools, when broadlink light comes on I hold the button down on remote until ligth goes off. I press the button again when HA prompts me to… The Call service button turns green. But when i go to the storage file, there is nothing new added

SO now I can’t even pull hthe dam codes, to try and use them

And to make matters worse, I’ve just learned that I have a DC motor, which eliminates fanLinc

Ouch!

Note to Self: Don’t buy that type of fan!
Obvioulsly you are saying it is RF remote. I have seen issues reported for IR and not enough power to send the light beam unless perfectly pointed.

Most all mine are RF.