Insteon configuration panel

I just got the new stuff and I’m looking at the Insteon Panel. Thanks a lot for doing this.

Now for the bad news. I also can not see the column headings and I’m using Edge on Windows 11. it looks to me, by using Edge Developer tools, that the headings are specifying a Roboto font. I haven’t looked yet, but I don’t think I’ve see that particular font in the list of fonts. Are you loading that font dynamically? If not, I’m guessing that is why it doesn’t show up. I’m a little surprised I don’t see any error messages in Edge. But, you know, UI development :wink:

… time passes …

I see that Roboto is a GOOGLE font. I would have thought that now that Edge is based on Chrome engine, it would have worked, but maybe that is an Edge issue. I would probably look at what font is used by all the rest of HA and use that as your default because this is the only place I’ve see missing text. (so far)

… time passes …

Also, for the second time for me, something caused the whole list to disappear. I think it was when I went to another tab and then back to the HA tab. Refreshing the tab makes the list appear again. FWIW. Good luck to you. This is bringing back pre-retirement memories of having to deal with browsers. I LOVED Silverlight (oh well).

… time passes …

Well, so much for my thoughts on the font. I see what looks like the exact same font and size and sans-serif used in the body of the table and shows up just fine.

Is there an official place to give you feedback on Insteon Panel or is this thread to do it?

… time passes …

I see that text for “Device” is in a span tag. I haven’t coded html in a long time, but is the span supposed to have a font specified?

Thank you. Saved me some time. I will have to look at that. I am not setting that font directly. It is part of Home Assistant’s style library but worth a look. For me the titles show up when I used Chrome but not Edge. @kenrok1 appears to have that same result but @logistician appears to have an issue with Chrome. So the pattern is a bit difficult here too.

Maybe there is no default style for <span> tags? Just guessing.

FWIW, I DO see that the generated html DOES have the text there like “device”, it is just not showing.

I see that the Insteon Integration just shows my 42 entities now and NO device count. When I go to the devices tab, there are NO devices there? Is it supposed to be that way?

… time passes …

OH, never mind. sort of. I refreshed the screen and then the device list showed up.

… time passes …

And now when I look back at the Integration, I see the devices count. Maybe it was just taking a long time for the initial load. I’ll try close out of the HA UI, restart the Docker and go back in and see if things are there right away or not.

… time passes …

Ok after restarting everything, it appears that devices show right away. Probably that UI ought to show “loading” or something until the devices are loaded. I suppose the same thing for the entities.

I had 38 devices before updating to 2022.5. Now I have 39 devices. I think it picked up the mini-remote that it didn’t pick up before. (that is a GOOD thing)

However, I had one device, 2477D, that was not responding to commands in the old version and also not in this version. I’m almost 100% certain that it DID respond when I first set things up. But, at least, with the new version it doesn’t respond to “on” and immediately turns itself off in the UI. So I thought I would do a manual add of the device in the Configure of the integration card. Now that I did that, it disappeared from my list of devices AND the card I had for it in the Overview panel now has an Exclamation point in it and says “Entity not available”.

Any ideas? I think I will do a reset on the device hardware.

I see this in the log:

2022-05-05 09:53:21 ERROR (SyncWorker_3) [root] Uncaught exception

RuntimeError: module compiled against API version 0xf but this version of numpy is 0xe

2022-05-05 09:56:35 ERROR (MainThread) [pyinsteon.managers.aldb_read_manager] 50.21.F0: ALDB Load error: 0xff

2022-05-05 10:11:59 ERROR (MainThread) [pyinsteon.protocol.http_reader_writer] Client error: (<class 'aiohttp.client_exceptions.ClientOSError'>) [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

Don’t know if that provides clues or is even related to the device problem.

… time passes …

Resetting didn’t help and I don’t seem to be able to add it from the list of devices panel.

[pyinsteon.managers.aldb_read_manager] 50.21.F0: ALDB Load error: 0xff

The error 0xff means that the KPL does not see the modem in its All-Link Database. Unfortunately, KPLs are notorious for problems with their ALDB. One option is to “reboot” the KPL which you can do by pulling the set button out for a few seconds.

If that does not work, try relinking your KPL and Hub. If that still does not work the last resort is to factory reset the KPL then relink

KPL? Key Pad Light?

KeypadLinc but yes.

Not sure what that is. I don’t have any keypads. The closest thing is the miniremote. Is that the one it is complaining about? Unless the SwitchLinc is a KeypadLinc.

Oh, sorry, I though you were talking about a KPL device type but I now see we are talking about a 2477D.

My answer is still the same, however. Sorry for the confusion

I “linked” it again after factory reset. I went to the Insteon Panel and clicked on the plus to add to the “all links” database. I adjusted the brightness of the light and the pressed the set button (not a long press, just single press and got a beep). After maybe a minute, the add dialog said it was ok.

Now when I select the hub and look at the links database, I see the new device is there. It shows an “18” and “Controller” and has the correct address and device type.

But it doesn’t show up in Devices or Entities. Next idea?

… time passes …

I did a “load from device” while looking at the hub device. I sorted the device numbers. I see MULTIPLES for the address of my switch. I think that is not a good thing?

Little off topic (awesome work on the panel teharris1 and congrats on having it merged!) but catching up on some old posts and saw this question. Yes, someone has done RF sniffing and mostly reverse engineered the protocol. ‘evilpete’ did it about 7 years ago and presented a paper on it at DefCon. You can see his paper here:

https://github.com/evilpete/insteonrf/blob/029aad308b36e814b1bbde634250524c4d93fbae/Doc/insteon_defcon23.pdf

and here is his code base:

https://github.com/evilpete/insteonrf

I tried to follow his steps and managed to get it sorta working a few years back. I wrote up the steps I took here using a software defined radio:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/17474-how-to-receive-send-log-spoof-all-insteon-rf-traffic/

Looks like rfcat moved to GitHub but it should be enough for someone to go on if they want to run with it. The actual over the air protocol seems to look a lot like the serial PLM communication.

Edit: it also looks like he’s since added Insteon decoding to the rtl_433 project, detailed here:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/31253-rtl_433-now-decodes-insteon-wireless-protocol/

I am LOSING my mind when it comes to these scenes.

1. linked everything for my scene on insteon tab
  2. Added this to a script
  3. added script to scene(Just like teharris posted)

When I press the button in home assistant it works perfect. Everything turns on simultaneously.

After running a discover in Alexa, to get the new UNIQUE(never before used)scene name to pop up, when ask Alexa to turn on the scene, the lights turn on 1 by 1 popcorn effect

How for the love of GOD is this possible? Moments away from throwing in the towel and ripping all insteon out of my house. Any help would be very appreciated.

For those that may be interested, I can share code I put in Lovelace for adding/removing things in an Insteon group. GUI looks like below. I am sure that the general Insteon Control Panel will grow to include many of these things, but I use this for now.

Top item is an input select populated with the Insteon devices (NOTE: it uses the friendly names to make things a bit easier).

Next item is the selected item in the input select. You can set on/off or drill in and set brightness. You can also do that at the physical switch if you like. Of course you only need to do this if adding to a scene.

Next item is selecting the scene number. Of course it would be great here for many things that are well beyond me, like a list of existing scene numbers with friendly names, or a separate display of all devices in a particular scene. I could get those by parsing the insteon_devices.json but that is a bit beyond me at the moment.

Next item you can add or delete the device from a scene. Of course once selected you need to go to that device and push the link button. Again would be great to display something to show the link is done like it does in the Insteon Control Panel.

Last item is testing … you can execute scene_on and scene_off to make sure everything works for you.

1 Like

I just created my first scene (100) to test this. Followed steps 1 & 2 (not 3) in HOW TO: Trigger an Insteon Scene using Alexa or Google Assistant, modified my smart_home section to include the new scripts, discovered new scenes in Alexa, created 2 routines Living Room On & Living Room Off and when Alexa ran the routines, the devices I linked to scene 100 turned on/off simultaneously without a popcorn effect.
I then tried step #3 to create HA scenes to activate those new scripts but when I run the HA scenes nothing happens…

You are using Nabu Casa? If you go to:

Settings → Home Assistant Cloud → Under Alexa click “Manage Entities”

What do you see? Or more importantly, you go to “Manage Domains” then what is checked?
If you go to your Alexa App, what scenes are listed?

It is likely that you did not discover any newly created scenes you made and somehow it has old ones

He did mention he created a brand new scene name…

I presume you edited the Alexa routine deleting the old scene name and adding the new UNIQUE scene name??

If you look in the Nabu Casa screens you can see it can execute a script, you really do not need a scene I do not believe. Like I have scripts like “Mute Music” which will mute every device. In Nabu Casa I expose scripts to Alexa and say “Alexa, Mute Music” which executes the script directly (no scene) and works perfectly.

That is correct…an HA scene is not required; HA scripts show as scenes in Alexa and work just fine.

2 Likes