Insteon configuration panel

This is a little weird… After latest updates I now see Garage light switch, which is hidden & exposed as a light, but not fireplace or living room switch (hidden)/lights…

After a few updates this morning (several HACS integrations, an HA add-on and HA 2022.5.0b6) and a restart, the panel is now fully populated but does require a browser page reload (using Edge) every time I navigate to it. Firefox is fine.

Every time I open the panel in Edge:

After browser page reload:

Is this something that can be addressed in the code for the panel?

• EDIT
    Nevermind! I restarted my PC for Windows updates and Edge also updated and now the panel loads correctly the first time.

@teharris1 Just echoing @kevin.aubertin question regarding KPL that is reconfigured from 6-button to 8-button. HA sees the KPL as 6-button regardless of the actual configuration. I know you’re busy with other stuff but are we going to see a fix to this issue any time soon? I really appreciate all the hard work you did to give us the control panel.

BTW, like many others, I am also new to HA. Didn’t even know HA existed until my Insteon Hub stopped working last month. I still use HouseLinc for local programming. Years ago, I quickly got tired of walking/running back-and-forth to push buttons to link and crosslink my 70+ devices. HouseLinc made that task and creating scenes very easy.

Welcome to Home Assistant! You are hooked now on the best home automation software there is!

1 Like

I am looking into making this easier for people to address but there is a workaround.

SmartLabs was not very consistent with their approach to this problem. Technically a 6 button and an 8 button device are physically the same and the only real difference is what the device broadcasts as its category (i.e. cat) and subcategory (i.e subcat).

You can use a device override to change the cat and subcat by going to SettingsDevices and ServicesInsteon - Configure. There you will get the option to setup a device override. Follow the prompts. Here is the list of options that will work:

Dimmable devices
Model     Buttons  Cat    Subcat
--------  -------  ----   ------
2486DWH6  6        0x01   0x09
2486DWH6  6        0x01   0x1B
2334-232  6        0x01   0x42

2486DWH8  8        0x01   0x0C
2486DWH8  8        0x01   0x1C
2334-232  8        0x01   0x41

On/Off Devices
Model     Buttons  Cat    Subcat
--------  -------  ----   ------
2486SWH6  6        0x02   0x0F
2487S     6        0x02   0x1E
2487S     6        0x02   0x2C

2486SWH8  8        0x02   0x05

Once you create the device override HA will recreate the 6 or 8 button entities under the device correctly.

Is this the best forum to come to to find out when this will officially launch out of beta? Thanks for everything you’re working on.

Thanks much for the prompt response. I will surely try this workaround as soon as I get a chance this afternoon.

It launches today.

2 Likes

:tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

So Ive just installed the offical launch version, and I have the insteon tab, I clicked on it and everything there. I went to my overview and just made sure all my lights still worked because this is my first time updating HA. When I went back to the insteon tab it was empty. Any idea why this would be?

Update - Actually this could be a bug. I reloaded the HA page and it was back. But if I leave the page and go to overview its blank agian. Everytime I reload HA web address it returns though. Just wanted to let you know.

So I Follow your example and I believe I have a scene set up now with three of my lights. How do I actually control it? Do I set up a scene a script or an automation? I ultimately want to be able to tell Alexa to turn “everything” on or turn “everything” off.

Thank you guys for your help

Microsoft Edge??

Slowly starting to gain a bit of confidence using home assistant in HA. 1 thing I haven’t been able to figure out is calling an Insteon scene with google? Now with the control panel I’m able to start identifying my scene (group numbers). How do I get google to call a scene?

1 Like

This is such a common question these days I am going to open a specific HOW TO thread on this one.

2 Likes

I think the awkwardness (regarding scenes) for us previous hub users is the condition / state aspect… like an “on” scene and an “off” scene. the helper groups are more what we think of as a scene… but with those you get the popcorn … like microwave popcorn that was nearly done but not quite and you’re waiting for those last few kernels to pop :stuck_out_tongue:

That is a Home Assistant scene not an Insteon scene. That is what seems to confuse everyone.

I created the scene inside the new insteon tab. Works fine when I call device on the developer tool. But how do I put it on its own dashboard button so I can control it with Alexa too?

Am I setting up a scene, automation, script, or something else?

Just installed HA core-2022.5.0 and the Insteon panel again no longer shows all of my devices…

I am so confused. I set up my scenes. They work perfect, and turn on/off at the same exact time when running either a script or automation. When I call the exact name in Alexa, it goes back to the popcorn effect one light at a time. How on earth is this possible?