Integrate Amazon Smart Air Quality Monitor

Amazon offers a product called Smart Air Quality Monitor (ASAQM). It is a Wi-Fi device that monitors temperature, humidity, carbon monoxide level, particle count, and airborne VOCs. The sensor does work pretty well. I sprayed some isopropyl alcohol onto a paper towel to clean something in my garage and it started talking about a change in air quality. Same deal when I started using a stationary disc sander.

I bought one for my garage to let me know when I should be wearing a mask. I make woodworking projects in the garage and this produces copious amounts of dust. The process of applying finish causes an increase in VOCs.

I’d like to be able to turn on some red lights in the garage when the air quality is bad to remind me to wear a mask and to act as a signal to my wife and little girl that they should probably leave the area. I would also like to be able to see the data in Home Assistant’s charts and graphs.

I am a Nabu Casa subscriber, but I can’t see any way to get data from the ASAQM into Home Assistant. Maybe this feature already exists but I can’t figure it out. Thanks.

Hi Wayne,
have you been able to find how to do this?

The best I have been able to manage so far is to use Alexa routines (I think) to turn the lights on when the air quality goes above certain threshholds. I have to manually turn the lights off later. It is better than nothing.

I agree - better than nothing.
And a timer to switch it off would no option?

A timer isn’t necessarily telling the truth. I went and looked at the routines again and added one that turns the lights off then the aggregate air quality goes above a certain level.

So there are three routines:

1. routine A turns the red lights on when the particulate count rises above x
  2. routine B turns the red lights on when the VOC measurement rises above y
  3. routine C turns the red lights off when aggregate air quality rises above z

I would still appreciate integration with Home Assistant because it can do extra stuff like make the lights flash when the air quality is extra bad, keep charts in the Lovelace UI, etc.

3 Likes

I am also looking to do the same thing. I would like to take the air quality data and track it in a database and compare that to weather conditions and pollen count and pollution. I am also testing out various air purifiers as well. Routines are great for triggers, but I would like to track the data in time series.

1 Like

Anyone find a solution?

No solution yet, but I looked into the thing. My unit just arrived, and I decided to dig around in the FCCID photos - great thing the US has, basically any device that uses wireless communication needs to go through FCC certification, and for that, they do a teardown with in-detail photos (including stuff like removing EM shields).

This device is running on an ESP32-PICO-V3 chip. Unfortunately the primary UART port isn’t exposed through USB like standard ESP32 developer modules would, but there is an unpopulated 6-pin header on the mainboard which could be an entry point. I don’t have a logic analyser on hand so can’t really get into the nitty gritty. But if someone’s willing to check that port out, we might just be able to get ESPHome running on this bad boy.

Alternatively, the mainboard could be replaced - the main sensor is a Sensirion SEN44, which does all the detection, including humidity and temperature. Oh, fun fact, it can do PM1.0, PM4.0 and PM10.0 detection, beyond PM2.5! And it has a pretty standard interface, which is well documented (both UART and I2C support). An ESP32-S3, combined with a USB-C male to female cable could replace the board with ease, with only the RGB LED and the physical button missing.

4 Likes

That is some great Intel and avoids having to tear it down. The question is whether or not esphome has full support? If we were to use our own esp32 chip, and stick a demultiplexer in front of the sensor, could we not then allow the Amazon controller to poll the sensor while our MCU also polls it? There would likely be times when both poll simultaneously but how much of a problem would it cause with accuracy of the readings? I’m not sure how frequent the Amazon MCU polls, and Ive never used a demux logic before, but it’s just an idea that maybe someone with more experience could make into a reality? I like the integration it has with the Alexa app so I’d prefer not to lose that, but I’d also like to get the same data into HA if possible.

If I’m not mistaken, I2C would allow two simultaneous “host” connections without a demultiplexer - but that would heavily depend on Amazon’s own board using I2C as well (and my guess is they went with the cheap and quick UART approach, since the Sen44 supports both).

ESPHome support would need the Sen44 library ported over first (we do have the Sen5x library ported already, which means a tad bit easier porting), but otherwise should be straightforward for either UART or I2C implementation.

Anyone made progress on this? I would love to have this work. Looking at buying one, but really want to have it integrated into HA. I’d gladly be a guinea pig on setting it up, (including some soldering or whatever), but would probably need someone else at least point me in the right direction as to what needs to be done.

2 Likes

Some day’s ago, there was a hacs-update (ALEXA-Media-Player) and within this update was “AMAZON AQM” added. The only thing you have to do is, mark in the ALEXA-mediaplayer-integration:
“Add with ECHO connected devices”
and then you have 6 new entities from the AQM.

10 Likes

Oh man, that works great HaraldGithub! Thanks for the heads-up!

Can you share what exactly those entities are?

Trying to decide if it’s worth buying vs some other options

7 Likes

Hi, I’m unable to see nothing about AQM…
I had checked the option from the Solution but I only see my Echo Dot and Show devices, never the AQM.

What I have to do in order to see this device in HA?

Thanks

Are you using the “Alexa Media Player” integration? (It is separate from the integration you get in Nabu Casa)

Hmm this did not work for me. I have two AQM devices but I don’t have a real Alexa device. I wonder if this only works if you have a real Alexa device in your account.

I would assume so. I get to see the AQM using the “Alexa Media Player” integration. It integrates all your Alexa devices (primarily as media devices) but as well brings in devices attached to each of them (eg AQM). Thus if it doesn’t find an Alexa that “hosts” the AQM, then no AQM. I’m not aware of any integration that will access the AQM without identifying an Alexa device first - but that’s only my experience.

The AQM is connected into an Echo Show 8 device.
I can see With Alexa Media Player all Echos, Flex, Dot, Show, but I can’t see the AQM device. In Alexa App I see it, but I bought it to see the values in Home Assistant, no with the Alexa App…
What can I do to meke it work? Thanks :slight_smile: