Integrate Amazon Smart Air Quality Monitor

Anyone find a solution?

No solution yet, but I looked into the thing. My unit just arrived, and I decided to dig around in the FCCID photos - great thing the US has, basically any device that uses wireless communication needs to go through FCC certification, and for that, they do a teardown with in-detail photos (including stuff like removing EM shields).

This device is running on an ESP32-PICO-V3 chip. Unfortunately the primary UART port isn’t exposed through USB like standard ESP32 developer modules would, but there is an unpopulated 6-pin header on the mainboard which could be an entry point. I don’t have a logic analyser on hand so can’t really get into the nitty gritty. But if someone’s willing to check that port out, we might just be able to get ESPHome running on this bad boy.

Alternatively, the mainboard could be replaced - the main sensor is a Sensirion SEN44, which does all the detection, including humidity and temperature. Oh, fun fact, it can do PM1.0, PM4.0 and PM10.0 detection, beyond PM2.5! And it has a pretty standard interface, which is well documented (both UART and I2C support). An ESP32-S3, combined with a USB-C male to female cable could replace the board with ease, with only the RGB LED and the physical button missing.

4 Likes

That is some great Intel and avoids having to tear it down. The question is whether or not esphome has full support? If we were to use our own esp32 chip, and stick a demultiplexer in front of the sensor, could we not then allow the Amazon controller to poll the sensor while our MCU also polls it? There would likely be times when both poll simultaneously but how much of a problem would it cause with accuracy of the readings? I’m not sure how frequent the Amazon MCU polls, and Ive never used a demux logic before, but it’s just an idea that maybe someone with more experience could make into a reality? I like the integration it has with the Alexa app so I’d prefer not to lose that, but I’d also like to get the same data into HA if possible.

If I’m not mistaken, I2C would allow two simultaneous “host” connections without a demultiplexer - but that would heavily depend on Amazon’s own board using I2C as well (and my guess is they went with the cheap and quick UART approach, since the Sen44 supports both).

ESPHome support would need the Sen44 library ported over first (we do have the Sen5x library ported already, which means a tad bit easier porting), but otherwise should be straightforward for either UART or I2C implementation.

Anyone made progress on this? I would love to have this work. Looking at buying one, but really want to have it integrated into HA. I’d gladly be a guinea pig on setting it up, (including some soldering or whatever), but would probably need someone else at least point me in the right direction as to what needs to be done.

2 Likes

Some day’s ago, there was a hacs-update (ALEXA-Media-Player) and within this update was “AMAZON AQM” added. The only thing you have to do is, mark in the ALEXA-mediaplayer-integration:
“Add with ECHO connected devices”
and then you have 6 new entities from the AQM.

10 Likes

Oh man, that works great HaraldGithub! Thanks for the heads-up!

Can you share what exactly those entities are?

Trying to decide if it’s worth buying vs some other options

7 Likes

Hi, I’m unable to see nothing about AQM…
I had checked the option from the Solution but I only see my Echo Dot and Show devices, never the AQM.

What I have to do in order to see this device in HA?

Thanks

Are you using the “Alexa Media Player” integration? (It is separate from the integration you get in Nabu Casa)

Hmm this did not work for me. I have two AQM devices but I don’t have a real Alexa device. I wonder if this only works if you have a real Alexa device in your account.

I would assume so. I get to see the AQM using the “Alexa Media Player” integration. It integrates all your Alexa devices (primarily as media devices) but as well brings in devices attached to each of them (eg AQM). Thus if it doesn’t find an Alexa that “hosts” the AQM, then no AQM. I’m not aware of any integration that will access the AQM without identifying an Alexa device first - but that’s only my experience.

The AQM is connected into an Echo Show 8 device.
I can see With Alexa Media Player all Echos, Flex, Dot, Show, but I can’t see the AQM device. In Alexa App I see it, but I bought it to see the values in Home Assistant, no with the Alexa App…
What can I do to meke it work? Thanks :slight_smile:

Not sure if this helps - but here are a couple of screen shots from my integration panels. One is from the device list (Alexa Media Player integration) - note there is no mention of the AQM on that screen. The other shot is from the entity list (also from the Alexa Media Player integration) - showing the entities

3 Likes

Thank you! I was finally able to integrate my two air quality monitors with HA. I added the Alexa Media Player integration through HACS, went to devices page, hit add, selected ‘Alexa Media Player’, authenticated to my Amazon account. I didn’t see the AQM devices at first. I went into my Alexa app, under the AQM and selected ‘Echo Devices’ and selected one of my Echo’s to provide announcements. A few minutes later I searched my entities in HA and I found both of my AQMs with all of their data. I’ve been wanting this integration for a while and thought all hope was lost. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Couple of questions regarding the alexa air quality monitor and Alexa Media Player HACS integration. I have the integration working and it shows my AQM entities like what has been posted above.

I would prefer if it passed the AQM as a single device with all the corresponding entities attached to it. Since that is not the case…is it possible to create a manual device and associate the entities?

Also, I am trying to pass the data from the AQM through to HomeKit. I have all the entities checked in my Homekit bridge, though I understand HK doesn’t know what to do with some of the values. But HK only shows temp. I would think it should at least display humidity as well.

As an example…AirThings passes the radon number as “air quality.”

Just wondering if we can get more out of this device. Otherwise I may scratch it and buy something else.

Thanks.

I got it working. All I did was go to the HA Integrations and find the Alexa Media Player. I then clicked on the gear button next to it and then clicked on Configure. I then check-marked the box that says “include devices connected via Echo”. I restarted HA and then searched for entities related to the Air Quality Sensor and they were there. I DID NOT have to set up any announcements or notifications via any of my Alexa Echo devices.

2 Likes

I’ve set in the ALEXA-mediaplayer-integration:
“Add with ECHO connected devices”
But still my Air Quality Monitors are not showing up. My other devices show up. I’ve tried rebooting, reconfiguring the extension and am out of ideas.

I’m looking to pick one of these up, but we don’t really have any other Echo (Alexa) devices. Just wanted to check if this can be added to Home Assistant with the method above without an Echo speaker or other Echo device?

1 Like