Integrate "old fashioned" doorbell into HA with Xiaomi

Hi all,

Just completed a very simple and effective way to integrate my old style (ding-dong) doorbell with my HA, and wanted to share.

I work from home, have my office upstairs, sometimes when I am playing music, I do not hear my doorbell. So I have been looking into adding a second chime.

I have been using Xiaomi sensors through-out the house for temperature/humidity monitoring, as well as some wireless switches.

Old style doorbells use electro-magnets to pull the pistons in, a spring return plunges them into the tone bars. A door/window contact uses a reed contact, activated by a permanent magnet to indicate status.

The electro-magnet in a doorbell is strong enough to active this read-contact. So I purchased a Xiaomi wireless door sensor, that fitted snugly into my doorbell housing.

I use a Xiaomi gateway for the second chime. The gateway is integrated into HA, so with the status signal I also added an e-mail notification with camera snapshot.

I had to “debounce” the signal (it is activated twice), but all in all this was a very cheap and easy way to extend functionality, without any wiring/soldering.

If anyone is interested in any code, please let me know.

Cool
I did something very similar with the xiaomi button:

The doorbell circuit triggers a relay which triggers the slightly modified button.

Is your approach completely passive
(No soldering , fiddling with electricity, etc. )?

Cheer
Jochen

Hi Jochen,

I ordered a switch for the same reason as well. But to my surprise my solution worked great!

Yes, completely passive and reversible. Just inserted the unit (it fits perfectly) and added an automation to the Xiaomi app for my chime.

I might give this a try as well.
My button solution has the drawback that it sometimes gets triggered when someone turns the outside lights on or off. Guess the relay is a little too sensitive.

Let me know how it works for you :slight_smile: