Integrating a car seat sensor: read FSR via ESPHome or wire into an Aqara contact sensor?

I’ve come across two good posts about tracking bed/chair occupancy in HA:

First question: is a car seat sensor, from the first post, an FSR, like in that second post?

Assuming it is, how does wiring it into the Aqara contact sensor work, given an FSR isn’t a switch? Is there some implicit threshold with an FSR where it will close the circuit given enough force/pressure?

I like the simplicity of using an Aqara sensor, but am I likely to be more successful using ESPHome’s ADC and Resistance to read the resistance and set my own threshold?

I am pretty sure the car seat sensor is simply a binary sensor.

I hooked it up to my multimeter (to be clear I’m not 100% sure what I’m doing) and I got fluctuating readings when I set it to measure resistance and then sat on it and shifted my weight around.

I guess there’s no harm hooking it up to an ESP32 like in the second link and seeing what logs I can see :man_shrugging:

I’ll report back when I can get around to figuring out ESPHome (this is my first foray into that side of HA) but if anyone else has thoughts to share while I’m finding the time to tinker please chime in!

1 Like

Well I am probably wrong then.