Integrating GE Concord alarm system

I’ll need to check the Jason Carters concord232 program to see where the Master code input is mentioned.

I thought when I originally installed his client/server program I had to supply a Master code which then became hard coded into the program.

The numeric keypad on the Hass interface is basically redundant as you don’t need to supply a code to either Arm or Disarm. The Hass interface is acting as a security keyfob and has similar functionality. It’s not really a problem for me.

I did notice you opened an Issue on Jason Carter’s GitHub. Let’s see what he has to say.

I’m assuming you’ve already parsed the Concord.py code. I have to say it’s a little confusing seeing the master pin defined as 0520 yet it has no effect at all on the system.

class AlarmPanelInterface(object):
def init(self, dev_name, timeout_secs, logger):
self.serial_interface = SerialInterface(dev_name, timeout_secs,
self.ctrl_char_cb, logger)
self.timeout_secs = timeout_secs
self.logger = logger
self.logger.debug(“Starting”)
self.panel = {}
self.partitions = {}
self.zones = {}
self.users = {}
self.master_pin = ‘0520’

It’s the only instance of a preconfigured master code I can see defined anywhere within the program.

I think the 0520 is just run at init and is basically irellevant. It just acts as a placeholder. If you look at the rest of the code it looks to me like key presses and the code itself should be passed via code to the alarm system.
Also the instructions calls for having to input a Master code in the client in order to disarm.
This is a problem if you want to implement a panel in your house and use that to disarm the system instead of the keypad.

As I mentioned earlier the Hass interface acts like a security keyfob as far as I can see. It’s numeric keypad is redundant as a result.

I seem to remember in an earlier release that the code was required to arm/disarm the panel but there hasn’t been an update to the code for over a year.

As an experiment to test the functionality of your Concord AM you might want to test this on a Raspberry Pi. Simple to build and install. It’s a stand-alone program.

Let me know the results of you decide to use it

As I mentioned earlier the Hass interface acts like a security keyfob as far as I can see. It’s numeric keypad is redundant as a result.

I seem to remember in an earlier release that the code was required to arm/disarm the panel but there hasn’t been an update to the code for over a year.

I really doubt thats the intent. Lots of people use Home Assistant via a panel and not having to enter a code to disarm the system would be ridiculous.

If you look at the documentation for the module it specifically mentions using a code to disarm the alarm via the client. Have you tried to use the client to disarm your system? In my case it doesn’t matter what code I put in.

Disarm

```
$ concord232_client disarm --master 1234
```

Yes I’ve tried that too. The upshot is in its current format you do not need a code to arm/disarm on the Hass api. It’s much more convenient as you’ve only the need for a one button press to arm/disarm

It severely limits the use in my eyes and definitely not what’s intended.

What else do you require from the api. I’ve used a number of other home automation systems that included a Concord 4 feature and the keypad feature always had timing issues.

As you probably know the panel times out if keypresses are not received in a timely fashion. I’ve installed enough of those panels to know that.

I just want it to do what it was designed to do. It’s fine if it has the ability to work without a code, but that should not be the default behavior.
I never have any issues with my keypad being slow to recognize code entry.
I was considering replacing my keypad with an IPad running HA.

The timing issues are between the api,the Concord AM and the panel. I’ve used different api’s with Concord AM and the panel and every time entering a number sequence the panel times out.

It’s easier just using a single arm/disarm button press.

As I asked earlier what exactly do you require from the Hass api that it doesn’t do already.

I already told you. Hopefully the developers will respond.

If indeed no code is needed on the superbus module in order to disarm the alarm system and its not just a case of misconfiguration, the alarm panel needs to be recoded so it performs more like the Manual Alarm Panel and you can configure the code within Home Assistant.

Ok. So you want the ability to input a code to arm/disarm the panel via the Hass api.

Maybe others using the Concord platform will comment on how they view it’s functionality.

Just checking the the Concord.py code and this section in particular

def alarm_disarm(self, code=None):
“”“Send disarm command.”""

Edit this to read your panel code save it and see if it forces you to enter your panel code to disarm. This might solve your problem.

That wouldn’t work. What you are describing would be a fix if the code worked as intended and you wanted to NOT have to put in the code.
The problem, if there is one, is that the Concord232 Server is able to disarm without receiving a code, so not really a Home Assistant issue. I can use the Concord232 Client and disarm without a code as well.
I see 3 scenarios:

1. Some kind of misconfiguration on my Concord Alarm Panel that allows the bus to disarm without a code.
  2. No code is by design necessary on the bus and the code works as intended. If that is the case, the HA Alarm Panel code should be changed so it is possible to ad a code thats defined in the HA config.
  3. There is a problem with the Concord232 Server Code.

Well according to this post other panels can be disarmed without a code. Lovelace: Alarm card

Not sure what level of coding experience you have but maybe you could clone the GitHub yourself and make the changes you feel are needed. The GitHub hasn’t had an update for over a year so you might be a while waiting on a response.

Yes, other panels have the option of specifying wether you want a code or not. It most likely wouldn’t be that hard to implement on the Home assistant side of things. My main problem is that I don’t know enough about how the SuperBus 2000 RS-232 module is supposed to behave. It doesn’t make much sense for me to go change the code on the HA side of things if its just my setup thats somehow misconfigured.
From what you are saying about the communication over the SuperBus being buggy, the best solution would probably be to keep the authentication within Home Assistant. I would be happy about that. I just would like some of the original programmers to chime in on what was intended etc.

Could you implement what you need via the Manual Alarm https://www.home-assistant.io/components/alarm_control_panel.manual/

There’s a feature here to force a code. I wonder could this be used.

I’m assuming you’re familiar with this document. I think it gives you all you need to know about the RS232 AM and protocol https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2YZbA-Smf2WMW9udFZJUVZ4YTg/view