Integration with Orbit B-Hyve Irrigation System

Any new updates?

Hi everyone,

I managed to get this running last night (bhyve-mqtt).

Building the docker image wasn’t too too bad, just had to figure out the .env file variables and repackage each time. May look into setting a volume with the file so that it can exist outside of the image.

After you clone the github repository, edit the /app/.env-sample file and add your details, then save it as .env in that same /app directory. For the MQTT_BROKER_ADDRESS value, if you’re running mqtt as a docker image, you should be able to refer to it as the container’s name. I’m running my mqtt as “mosquitto-mqtt”, so the MQTT_BROKER_ADDRESS=mqtt://mosquitto-mqtt. No port, the “mqtt://” at the beginning is required. Once all your info is in, go back the the root directory of the project and do a “docker build”. This will create the image for you to deploy. There are a tone of blogs out there with the steps to follow, but my docker-compose is very simple:

bhyve:
image:
depends_on:
- “mosquitto-mqtt”

I haven’t played around with commands yet, but I was at least able to see my device info in the container log. :slight_smile: Looking forward to playing around with this. Thanks!

1 Like

Great news! We’re you able to get commands working yet?

Not quite yet, been focusing more on a video/NVR solution for us which was more pressing.
But hope to do some work on it soon! I’ll keep this thread posted.

Count me in as a tester!

I’m definately interested as well.

This is awesome. Would you be willing to share some of your sensor configurations?

Count me in as a tester as well, I’m using one to water my garden.

Would be epic to get info or turn the sprinklers on via HA.
Count me in for testing too :wink: thanks for your hard work!

i tested, and as you , at least i see something in the mqtt server, i need to spend some more time to figure out next steps…

thank you

Looks promising, any more updates?

got some infos by api

4 Likes

Hi, can we expect any progress here? My Irritation hardly needs some improvements which HA could provide.

Until someone figures out a way to integrate directly with the device itself, potentially through the Web interface or by the use of an API, we’re out of luck. Having to go through a middleware (ie. MQTT) is not a viable option for most people. However, it may be useful to help build knowledge around a scalable and “permanent” solution.

Thanks!

Ok, agree. We should open a request. Thanks

I have it running in docker mqtt is connected but I get this error, which I have seen many times in my setup but unable to fix.

2019-10-06T01:44:46.414Z - Orbit Error: Error: write EPROTO 140181838559040:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol:../deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/s23_clnt.c:797:

Everything in google is relating to a proxy but I dont use one.
Any ideas?

1 Like

Hey folks.

I have started building a b-hyve integration for hass. It currently exposes a sensor for battery levels and binary_sensor for rain delays, with some plans for switches to trigger watering commands.

If anyone wants to try it out or pitch in and contribute, repo can be found here:

https://github.com/sebr/bhyve-home-assistant

YMMV!

5 Likes

thanks! i’ll try today!

Thank you, it is already installed, the battery level sensor is shown as “unkown”… please continue with your project…

Great job @sebr!!

I just installed and it worked fine!

Keep going!

Thanks.

2 Likes