Integration with Orbit B-Hyve Irrigation System

First off, apologies for taking this thread back a step, I’m looking to control my bhyve wifi hub+faucet timer via node-red and MQTT so have installed @billchurch’s MQTT integration. (admission: I’m not a HA user at this point)

However I can’t get seem to get any messages other than the alive notification (on bhyve/alive) on running the app. Specifically I’m not sure where to get the device ID’s. There’s a device data dump (which I can only see on the CLI on the raspberry pi where the app is installed) if I publish to bhyve/device/refresh but no messages are published on any on the topics. There is an ID in the data but it appears to be of the hub and not the actual timer unit. No MQTT messages are received if I use this as the deviceID though.

Any pointers from ppl who have used this app?

Chip, would you mind sharing part of your code where you get your program_a/b/c/d info to display as seen in the graphic “Front Yard Zone”? I have my Bhyve setup and I have the entities in HA but I’m having difficulties displaying all the [object Object] information.
Thanks,

Hey Chip,

Thanks, I see that information now but thought the sensor state would also show ‘running’ or ‘off’ and not just ‘auto / manual’.

The entity sensor.my_zone_state tracks if the mode that the device is in - not the sprinkler status. For example, when the battery levels are off the device will turn itself off and not water.

Regarding your other issues, are you still seeing issues?

Scott - I have a beta version of the integration which will expose the programs as switches that can be toggled on/off. Coming in the next couple of weeks after some soak time (pun intended)

3 Likes

I’m tempted to buy several hose faucet timer’s. Reviews are not that great for longevity. Has anyone here used them for over a year still trusts them?

I have had two of the faucet timers and one wifi module for about a year, no issues to date other than having to change the batteries.

I’ve had mine for over 2 years with no major issues other than one slightly dodgy firmware update about a year ago which they resolved pretty quickly.

I have had 2 hose faucet timers for a little over a year, (well 3 total with a replacement). One has worked perfectly from day 1. The other was glitchy since the start. I thought it was a signal issue, but after about 8 months, I finally realized there was something else amiss. I emailed Orbit support. They had me try a few things, which did not fix the issue. After confirming I was within the warranty period, they sent a replacement. Not exceptional, but good customer service.

I have 3 hose timers and have been using them for over 2 seasons…so this is year 3 for me. The reviews are horrible mainly because the smart app is confusing. The app is designed to support different models and setting up the hose timers feels wrong. Some of the settings are not relevant but you have to configure them anyway. I would definitely purchase again (I have a 4th one that I haven’t setup yet) since I understand how to use the app (which once you setup the devices you don’t need to use that much), since the cost is low compared to similar products, and the fact that @sebr did an awesome job getting this working in HA for us.

2 Likes

Hi Folks,

I’ve been following this thread with interest and have recently ordered one timer and the hub to try out.

I’m intending to look at options to interact directly with the devices via Bluetooth, or perhaps with the WiFi module, in order to avoid dependence on the external services provided by Orbit.

Has anyone else already done any work in this area?

Hello,

Are you guys able to share which Orbit B-hyve you are using with this integration? I found this on Amazon, any idea if it works with the integration @sebr created:

Can you add multiple Orbit B-hyve 21004 Smart Hose Faucet to 1 hub?

Thank you!
Tony

Yes you can use that device but you require the wifi hub with it. The hub can control multiple faucet timers as long as they are within range.

1 Like

Ok, you guys convinced me to hop on the bandwagon. Got my hub and timer but still waiting for my drip irrigation stuff to show up before I start hooking things up. I’m sure you’ll be hearing more from me :grin:

1 Like

Hi,

How do I change the manual_preset_runtime: to something other than 600 seconds.

When I press the HA button I created for switch.zone I would like it to run longer than 600.

State attributes are as follows:-

manual_preset_runtime: 600
smart_watering_enabled: false
program_a:
  enabled: false
  name: Rust wall
  is_smart_program: false
started_watering_station_at: null
friendly_name: Backdoor Tap
icon: 'mdi:water-pump'
device_class: switch

@tux43 . I was looking for the same thing. I tried and I was not able to change it. Replacing the value of the parameter to something else, which I was able to do, does not actually apply it as the value reverts back immediately to the default when the zone is activated. Please post back if you find a way.

My understanding is the only way to do it is through the app. Once you make the change in the app it will be reflected in the HA attribute.

That’s what I think too. Where in the App is that done? I was just trying to find out and I could not find it to change…

Click the “my b-hyve” button in the lower right of the app. Then, select “devices”. Select the appropriate device and you should see the preset runtime setting there.

Hummm… That’s the thing. I was expecting to see it there, but I don’t. I found that I should be able following this as well:

" Using the B-hyve app you can set how long you want the preset manual cycle to run for. Go to Settings>Devices>Device>Preset Runtime. Default runtime is 10 minutes".

But I can’t find that in the App…