Intel NUC bluetooth?

Hello I am controlling Vogel’s MotionMount via NodeRed running RPi.

• hassio switch sends mqtt message
  • NodeRed will receive it and will run gatttol command which move my mount.

Dear Mike, could you please share the mqqt message and maybe a quick how to in node red ,to get things going. Right now i am not using node red, just plain yaml scripts and automations.

Thank you

Hello,
mqtt message is there just to trigger NodeRed exec node which run gatttool command so it can be anything you like. More important is gatttool command arguments:
sudo gatttool -i hci0 -b XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX --char-write-req -a yyyyyy -n zzzzzz

XX - Mount’s MAC address
yyyyyy can be:
0x0012 for back and forth movements
0x0015 for left and right movements
0x0056 for combination of movements

zzzzzz can be:
for 0x0012 - from 0000 to 0064 (from wall to full extend)
for 0x0015 - from 0000 to 0064 (from wall to full left) or from 0000 to ff9c (from wall to full right)
for 0x0056 - combination of all e.g. 0064ff9c (full extend and full right)

So my typical watching position is:
sudo gatttool -i hci0 -b XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX --char-write-req -a 0x0056 -n 0062ffbf

Here is a nice tutorial for HA + NodeRed:

Good Luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, this does not work on NUC, when you type in bluetoothctl you get command not found…

Hi, run the command inside hass.io, use SSH & Web Terminal or ide add-on

Hello, I also haven’t been able to get bluetooth on my NUC able to detect any external devices. My setup is:
Home Assistant running in a VM Virtualbox on a NUC5i3RYB

arch x86_64
chassis vm
dev false
docker true
docker_version 19.03.12
hassio true
host_os HassOS 4.16
installation_type Home Assistant OS
os_name Linux (Alpine)
os_version 5.4.75

When I run bluetoothcl I get ‘No default controller available’.
/ $ bluetoothctl
Agent registered
[bluetooth]# power on
No default controller available
[bluetooth]# scan on
No default controller available
[bluetooth]# list
[bluetooth]#

The NUC is broadcasting a bluetooth signal that I can see it with MAC address on my Bluetooth Pair app on my phone.
Maybe I don’t understand what a Controller is?
My goal is to use my Home Assistant to track output from bluetooth devices, mainly for temperature and humidity measurements.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you,

It would seem the VM doens’t have access to the bluetooth hardware.

what OS are you running the VM in ?

Hi thanks for responding. It running in Windows 10.

Will Bluetooth devices work with HA on a VirtualBox VM under Windows? suggests it wont work.

But have a look at https://askubuntu.com/questions/963424/cant-access-in-built-bluetooth-for-windows-in-virtual-box (the first point - the rest is for windows as as guest)

It works for me in VirtualBox Ubuntu guest under Windows

I followed the 2nd link’s 1st point and confirmed:

• The BIOS / UEFI has Bluetooth enabled: CONFIRMED
  • Your host (Ubuntu in this case) detects the Bluetooth correctly: CONFIRMED
  • You have tested the Bluetooth with a bluetooth device and can confirm it is working correctly. This 3 points are to avoid issues with the guest that might not be the guest at all.: COMFIRMED with bluetooth headphones.

Did you have to configure your system after the original setup to get bluetooth working or did it detect bt immediately?. What types of devices is your system detecting?

check here - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48279646/bluetoothctl-no-default-controller-available

(maybe the account you are using doesn’t have access to controller…)

Thanks Jon, I added the bluetooth group and that didn’t work either. I’m going to bite the bullet and by an external bluetooth dongle.
I really appreciate the help you’ve provided though.

I ended up getting a usb bluetooth dongle and it still didn’t work which told me it’s not the NUC’s inability to pass the bluetooth capacity through to the virtual machine. I found the following post that solved my issues. It got both my internal bluetooth controller working and the USB dongle.

good you got it working - hope the dongle wasn’t expensive

Hi Mike, this is great information! Thanks so much.

Just wondering if I could bug you with a couple of questions on this…

• would you also have the address / values to call / set favourite positions?

… and how did you happen to find the ones you posted? Is there some kind of scan tool for bluetooth connections?

Thanks for any help you can give me :slight_smile:

Hello,
I enabled bluetooth HCI snoop log on my Android phone, opened MotionMount App and move the mount to the front, back, left, right and I activated favourite position few times. Than I load the log in WireShark and dig arround.
Similar to this process:

Hi, With the 2022.8 update taking bluetooth to another level, do you think it would be possible to develop an integration for Vogel’s Motion Mount?

Hello,
unfortunately I am not that skilled yet :frowning:

1 Like