Interesting issue with upgrade

This is an existing install from Oct 16.

I upgraded HA from 35.3 to 36.1.

All went ok but when I do a hass --version it comes back 36.1.

When I go to the GUI it shows 0.35.3.

All seems ok except for the above.

Is there a fix or should I ignore it?

Do a refresh of your browser cache; HA makes extensive use of caching.

Nope. It even shows an update available.

I used another computer that has never been on the site before just in case.

Curious.

I had this issue once before. Is your original installation within the Virtual Env? If so, you have to go back into the VEnv before executing the upgrade bash. When I had this problem, I literally installed a separate instance of HASS outside of my VEnv, so when I did a version check, it came back as the current revision, but inside of my VEnv, the original (running) HASS was still the old rev level. Hope this leads you somewhere.

1 Like

I will check on that.

I followed the instructions provided here for an All-In_one upgrade but who knows I may have made a mistake.

Just FYI, for the All-in-One installer, (clipped from the installer page)
The virtualenv with the Home Assistant installation is located at /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv.

This means it is within the VEnv. To upgrade this instance, you have to run

$ source /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin/activate
to enter the VEnv, then

$ pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant
to upgrade the HASS.

Basically just follow the upgrade steps on the page here (but I’ve outlined it above):

I was thinking about this too, but usually when you do this outside the venv there are so many errors it’s obvious. But it’s definitely worth checking.

Yea, if I remember correctly when I had my blonde moment, mine did “upgrade” and complete (with hundreds of billions of errors), and when I ran a version check, it said it had the latest rev. But alas, I wasn’t upgrading the right instance.

1 Like

Note that his paths will be different as he installed on October 2016. The paths were changed as of December to what you copied and pasted here. Check the docs for the correct path and user names.

That’s what I did. Don;t know how as I do the upgrade reading the upgrade section.

Oh well.

Thanks everybody.

Good point, I don’t have a reference to those past documents regarding path and usernames so I really can’t be of help there. I didn’t use the AIO installer myself as I found it more useful to go through each line myself with the manual install.

It’s actually noted in the AIO docs. Right under the upgrade instructions in case anyone goes looking for it.

1 Like

I just re-read and noticed that. jswalls110, if you didn’t catch that, for your Oct 16 install, follow the upgrade instructions per this link and take a close look at the NOTE in the section.

1 Like

I did that.

I THOUGHT I did that on Saturday but must not have.

I just redid the instructions,

What I get is:

Requirement already up-to-date:

For each line.

And still 0.35.3 in the gui and on the command line

Maybe you have two instances of HASS installed then. Outside of the VEnv, if you do a
$ whereis hass
what is returned?

1 Like

I pretty sure I do.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ whereis hass
hass: /usr/local/bin/hass

1 Like

Navigate to /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin and ls that folder, is there another hass file in there?

I think you nailed it @redwngsrul.

Yes there is.

You have two instances of HASS on your system. The instance that’s running is the /usr/local/bin but the one you upgraded is the /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin. You need to do several things.

1. Stop the /usr/local/bin/hass instance that is running 0.35.3
  2. Delete that instance of hass
  3. Run the correct instance of hass in /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin that is 0.36.1