Interfacing to existing wired alarm system

Hi All,

I’m looking at add some more capability to my smart home by interfacing to existing wired home alarm system. Specifically, all I want to do is tap into the state of the PIR sensors and zones around the house.

From what I can tell, the PIR sensors within a zone are all connected in series as Normally Closed, so that if the PIR is triggered, the loop is broken and alarm is triggered.
I don’t want to break the loop by inserting the ESP8266 in series, but would like to simple monitor the sate of the zone pin.

My thinking is simply to use a level shifter (assume the PIRs operate at 12V) attached to the end of the loop at the main control board and monitor this line.

Has anyone done this kind of thing before ?

Thanks

Have a look at Konnected.io converter

I use an AlarmDecoder (AD2PI) that ties into Home Assistant so I can get all the sensors from my alarm panel, and the alarm system remains untouched (don’t have to wire custom microcontrollers in (like konnected.io))

envisalink does the same thing.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. Have looked at Konnected, but Is expensive for what I think I. Can build myself for about 1/5th of the cost. AlarmDecoder only seems to be compatible with Honeywell or DSC panels. Mines a Guardtec system unfortunately.

Another vote for Konnected. I ripped out all the legacy Honeywell/Ademco crap and when full boat with Konnected. I repurposed my keypad wires to power Fire Tablets, and got custom bezels from Makes By Mike. BWAlarm some node red automations, and a node red alarm interface, and now I have an infinitely better alarm system for a $0/month monitoring fee.

Mylo

Interesting… Can you share more about the sw stack you are using on the Fire ?

I have two 7" Fire Tablets, that are running a “FullyKiosk” browser pointed at the node red dashboard URL. Those are located near the two exits to my home. They mostly sit on a dashboard page that presents this node red alarm panel:

But I also started another node red dashboard page that will have simple, control scenes like “all off” for the lights, etc.

I have two other Fire Tablet (10" models) that run the AppDaemon HADashboard app, that is more concentrated on home control - one in the kitchen, and one in my bedroom. I can also operate the alarm through there, but it is a “secondary” function in those locations.

Keith