Introducing Hass.io

I have been trying this for a bit now and all I keep getting is

ssh: Could not resolve hostname 10.0.1.44:22222: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

You can use the ā€œarchā€ on config to limited the visibility on UI. See on add-ons config doc. Other looks good :slight_smile:

Done, thanks for the reminder !

On modpy. If you use map: ['share:rw'] you have write access from itā€¦ Without a prƤfix it will be mapname:ro

I know, but with my test so far I didnā€™t seem to need write access. Do you think of a use case which could benefit from write access ?

No. That is also the reason why we use ro as default value. Most in time we need no write access, so we can not make a misstake that break other stuff. I had missintepret your descriptions. Good work :thumbsup: I have tweet it.

hi Dale,
iā€™m a beginner, kindly help. I managed to access my SSH using the privatekey.ppk, do you know how can i go to the folder of the .homeassistant to configure my configuration.yaml? I want to try this manually because the samba share folder does not show on my windows PC after i install it.

Hass.io is a beta that looks like itā€™s going to be great for those of us who arenā€™t programmers.

As a beginner Iā€™m guessing you should start with something like Hassbian https://home-assistant.io/docs/hassbian/installation/
And ask your question here: https://community.home-assistant.io/c/configuration and Iā€™d be happy to help you if someone doesnā€™t beat me to it. Iā€™ve received tons of help from reading other peopleā€™s problems here and asking a few questions myself. The developers and community are both great, but there is definitely a learning curve to get started.

For the access with samba, you need to set "config": true in the configuration of the add-on. And then you should be able to access it. If it doesnā€™t show, try typing \\hassio.local\config in Windows explorer.

For ssh, if you are using the ssh addon, you can access the configuration files in /config, and then use a command line editor to modify them.

You can also install the hass-configurator addon to have a web editor.

is it already stable, or better wait some more time?

Hi Macsito07

You will need to navigate it using cd commands in bash, it might not show up doing a ls as a ā€œ.ā€ means its a hidden directory.

The file editor on this image is Vim.

When you configure Samba it wonā€™t be visible on the pc, in file explorer type \0.0.0.0\ where the zeros are the IP of your Home Assistant, it will show the folders you have shared with Samba.

Alternatively you can use WinSCP.

thanks everyone i manage to config now which is located at config.

I have gave it a try, but I found itā€™s not really that usable at this point. The documentation suffers a bit for new users, especially when trying to get a workflow going with git for configuration when building it.

I have written some basic documentation for it that I can post here if people find it useful, but I stopped using it for now.

The workflow looks really cool and I was really looking forward to it, but the problems made me go back to hassbian for now.

I think its almost usable for my config now :slight_smile: My main issue is just the missing Bluetooth support on raspberry pi so home presence is not working like it did on Hassbian.

Bluetooth support come with next HomeAssistant update.

1 Like

So I like the idea of the add-ons, but for the life of me, I canā€™t figure out how to edit the config file in this. I had been using the hassbian image for my RPi3 and was using winSCP. I just literally canā€™t get to the files now on my pi. Iā€™ve tried both the SSH idea using Putty just so I can get into the Pi itself, and that didnā€™t work, and in winSCP, I am attempting to connect to it from my host ip and port 22222 with a username root. It keeps asking for a password though and I donā€™t know it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Please find below what I wrote when I did try hass.io, maybe itā€™s helpful:

Hass.io

Docker based installation

Pre-Steps

First startup

• Wait for homeassistant to get downloaded and started (With default config)
  • Install and configure samba - very important to modify configuration easily from a laptop

Access the system

Either set a static ip address (as mentioned on the official guide), use something like nmap to scan for it or just hook a monitor to your pi and read the ip. Make sure you have the key installed on the boot partition before booting up, and just use:

ssh root@<ip_address> -p 22222

Update configs

Configs can be found under: /mnt/data/resin-data/homeassistant/. This can be found with:

docker inspect -f '{{ .Mounts }}' homeassistant

This folder is on the host not inside the container, so you can scp file easily.

Git sync

Git setup is good also because if you come from a previous installation you can easily get configs back in the right state. https://home-assistant.io/docs/ecosystem/backup/backup_github/

Debugging

$ ps
$ netstat -ntl
$ docker ps -a

Enter container using

docker exec -i -t homeassistant /bin/bash

Check logs with

docker logs -f homeassistant 
2 Likes

I think I need some direction on configuring samba. That would help. Iā€™m using a rpi3 and windows 10 on my laptop

1 Like

Use the panel to add the samba container, and the just use windows Network to search for it like you would do any other Windows computer.

The base SSH access is only for development. Try out the ssh addon and access to log/config inside /config Folder. On ssh addon is vim installed.

You are also able to call the Hass.IO API with curl on ssh docker addon like:
curl http://172.72.0.2/homeassistant/logs
curl -X POST http://172.72.0.2/homeassistant/restart