iOS Dark and Light Mode with easy background change - A theme pack

Ok this is what I’ve done to fix this.

• Installing the theme created the folder themes\ios-dark-mode in config and placed ios-dark-mode.yaml in it
  • I looked at ios-dark-mode.yaml and found the following section
  # Other
  paper-dialog-background-color: rgba(55, 55, 55, 0.8)  # e.g., background of more-info
  paper-item-icon-color: white  # also should mini-media-player icon white (but doesn't work by itself)
  more-info-header-background: rgba(25, 25, 25, 0.5)
  lumo-body-text-color: var(--primary-text-color)  # see https://github.com/basnijholt/lovelace-ios-dark-mode-theme/issues/42
  app-header-background-color: rgba(155, 155, 155, 0.8)
  markdown-code-background-color: "#464646"

changing app-header-background-color: rgba(155, 155, 155, 0.8)
resulted in the header being changed. Works a treat - see attached

One thing I don’t understand yet is why the second theme is not picked up >> I created a copy of the ios-dark-theme > ios-dark-theme2 and applied some changes so I can select from 2 different ios-dark-mode themes. I created a new directory called ios-dark-theme2 in themes and put a modified ios-dark-mode2.yaml in it. However after restarting HA I couldn’t find the theme ios-dark-mode2

1 Like

How do you guys change the background image of the theme manually? I don’t understand the automation part at all. I don’t know if the instructions are confusing or I am stupid.

@NdR Maybe it’s a bit offtop, but could you tell me how you configured these switches to be 1:1 ratio and arranged in 3 column way? I would really like to have something simmilar in my app.

i am noob, can you tell me please how can i make a custom-header component and the weather like yours ?

Hi there,
I’m working on getting my newbie status, so at this point I’ve got everything sorted except the above instruction. I can’t find a frontend.yaml file so at this point totally lost.

Can you please advise.

Regards,
Paul

Hello Bas,

I installed iOS Dark and Light Mode with easy background change after using IOS dark theme.
After installation in profile settings, I can choose this new theme but cannot find how to change background and teams. For me no need to automate I just like to select theme, and colour and it is ok for me.

I hope you can help.

Thanks

Wilfried Baars

I love this theme! I also have everything working except for the fact, not all widgets refresh correctly when moving from dark to light.

It doesn’t have to do with which type is selected in the widget because some with the type mini-media-play change to white and some don’t.

After refreshing the entire page everything is okay.

Using this since a year or so, i am really amazed.

But since 2022.3 the entity filter in the developer tools (the first line before the entities) in dark mode is now black (on dark grey background), hard to read. Anybody knows what to change so it’s displayed in white?

I have no means to debug this at the moment, I am moving internationally and do not have a permanent house at the moment (so no HA either.)

If anyone knows which attribute has to change, they can make a PR or just tell me and I will do it.

Don’t have a link handy for you but look for comments on the release notes blog from Tom the moderator. They discuss this exact thing with parameters I believe.

I believe I have fixed the issues now. Can someone please confirm? :slight_smile:

In addition, copying my issue in git.

Thanks, the main problem is fixed. The description when typed nothing is still in black and hard to read, but it is now usable again. Picture of it:

I just pushed another update.

There are some more alternatives that people proposed and because I don’t have means to test it ATM, it would be great if someone could report which one of these look better:

# TODO: Below contain alternatives that have been proposed in comments
  # If anyone can test out the lines in the comments and report
  # Which one looks better, that would be great!
  mdc-text-field-fill-color: var(--card-background-color)
  # mdc-text-field-fill-color: var(--ha-card-background)
  mdc-select-fill-color: var(--card-background-color)
  # mdc-select-fill-color: var(--ha-card-background)
  input-label-ink-color: var(--secondary-text-color)
  # input-label-ink-color: var(--primary-text-color)
  input-disabled-ink-color: var(--secondary-text-color)
  # input-disabled-ink-color: var(--disabled-text-color)
  input-disabled-fill-color: var(--card-background-color)
  # input-disabled-fill-color: var(--ha-card-background)
  input-fill-color: var(--card-background-color)
  # input-fill-color: var(--ha-card-background)
  input-dropdown-icon-color: var(--primary-text-color)
  # input-dropdown-icon-color: var(--light-primary-color)
  input-idle-line-color: var(--secondary-text-color)
  # input-idle-line-color: var(--card-background-color)
  input-hover-line-color: var(--secondary-text-color)
  # input-hover-line-color: var(--light-primary-color)

Updated, but there was no change in the developer tools for me.

This one did it, now it looks fine again.

Thanks very much!

Nice theme, thanks for sharing.

I have two issues though:

No background

I added this in the raw editor of my dashboard, right before views:

background: var(--background-image)

Second issue is that it scrolls with a low fps. I assume it is because of the transparency or blur effects. If so, how can I disable this?

I installed manually:

Added this:

frontend:
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes

Added the themes folder from the zip and restarted. No HACS installed.

I am completely new to all of this and I’m stuck. I have diligently searched and failed to find info on how to resolve this. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Installed theme with HACS.
Edited configuration.yaml and added:

frontend:
… # your configuration.
themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes
… # your configuration.

Created file lovelace-ui.yaml in the config folder.

Added this line to the empty lovelace-ui.yaml file:
background: var(–background-image)

Failed to restart Home Assistant
The system cannot restart because the configuration is not valid: Integration error: themes - Integration ‘themes’ not found. Invalid config for [frontend]: expected a dictionary for dictionary value @ data[‘frontend’]. Got ‘…’. (See ?, line ?).

You need to indent themes:

frontend:
  themes:

Also no need to create the lovelace ui yaml file.

when editing your doashboards you can access the yaml from the top right 3 dots menu and selecting raw configuration editor

Thank you! I should have guessed that spacing was critical. That did it.

I don’t get the option to choose any of the colored backgrounds. :expressionless:

It was solved by reloading HA after editing yaml files