iOS Notifications not working in 2020.4

Hello
After updating today in the night Home Assistant aplication for iOS my notification are not working anymore. After removing app from iphone and all mobile app integration from Home Assistant, and after changing the name of the iphone it has been started to work, but after some time it stops again :frowning:
In HA I’ve got an error:
obraz
But in my services there is service notify.mobile_app_iphone_wojtek
obraz

There is currently a known issue around notifications which may be a result of the team transfer currently underway.

We believe this issue is now resolved. If you are still experiencing issues, please try resetting your Push ID in the app and waiting 12 hours. If you continue to have issues after that, please contact us via Twitter or Discord.

I don’t think the problem is resolved.

My automation did always work and all other notifications (android/ persistent) are still working. tried te reset push ID and waited 12 hours, still not working.

some other things I could try?

Did you verify a new slightly different mobile_app name didn’t get created? Awhile back the mobile app was creating “new” devices with slightly different names than originally… an underscore in a place it wasn’t etc…
I’m pretty sure that was resolved awhile back though… you may just want to delete the integration for that device, reinstall the app and go through the setup process again.

It worked before, also with the new name, when I use the service

notify.mobile_app_iphone_van_bram message: test

and press call service the message is send but nothing happens.

I did however found out that I have 2 iPhone entities for the same iPhone and am not able to delete them both. Is there an option to delete the entities, it is not possible within the GUI.

I’m having the same issue. I just deleted my phone from the integration, logged out of the app and logged back in and that hasn’t helped.

I also just tried logging out, uninstalling the app from my phone then deleting it from the Mobile App integration and setting it all back up and that didn’t work either.

Any chance notifications accidentally got turned off on the phone itself? Did you check the log for errors right after sending?
Maybe try sending a message from services page ?

Notifications are on for the phone and I’m testing it from the Services page. I did forget to check the logs prior and there is an error. It says:

Requested entity was not found.

4:09:08 PM – Mobile App (ERROR) - message first occurred at September 15, 2020, 10:58:33 AM and shows up 399 times

I’m not sure what other entity I should pick, there is only one for my phone.

Okay - a Home Assistant restart fixed it. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Restart is not working at all and I am still not able to delete the unused iPhone mobile app integrations.

this is the error within the logs:

Logger: homeassistant.components.mobile_app.notify
Source: components/mobile_app/notify.py:161 
Integration: Mobile App (documentation, issues) 
First occurred: 10:41:24 (4 occurrences) 
Last logged: 10:46:16

Requested entity was not found. This message is generated externally to Home Assistant.

The requested entity is available within entities.

I am also have ios push notification issues. It looks like everything works and I do not receive any errors but I do not receive any push notifications. This was working previously.

EDIT: was able to make it work. I changed the name of my iPhone and deleted and reinstalled the app and rebooted the server and everything is working as intended.

Since yesterday i suffer the same issue.
No errors in logs (actually logs confirms send success). HA Application counts sent messages, indicating no errors. But my iphoneX doesn’t HA show notifications at all.

What is even more strange, my wife receives the same notifications at the same time (those are the same messages sent to both of us).
Of course I’ve tried to send a message just to me (usual automated messages about HA restart)

BTW no changes, updates etc (except of supervisor being updated to 2020.12.7 - but don’t know exactly when since the date is not shown anywhere). I’ve restarted the iP without change

Did you reset your push id? Check the logs, and also make sure a duplicate entity/service didn’t get created…

HA logs says it has been sent. iOS app logs shows nothing. No entity duplicates.
Yes I did reset push id. Is it enough to reset it, or I have to copy new pushid somewhere?

I removed my profile from ios integration, refreshed app which readded sensors to integration.But notification still don’t work. However those are counted by application as on image above, those are not displayed by my phone.

Did you try a restart of HA at all during the course of this process and maybe your phone just for the heck of it?

May want to turn on debug logs for the mobile_app also

No, I didn’t restarted HA during this procedure. But restarted some weeks ago (already after I noticed the issue for the first time)
I just have read in posts above I need to wait 12 h after changing push id. So I’ll do that.

How can I enable debug logs in the app?

you would want to use:

homeassistant.components.mobile_app: debug

If you do this in configuration.yaml remember to remove it/change it back to “warning” when done with this issue, or you can call it under services logger.set_level

If that doesn’t provide enough info you could change:

logger:
  default: debug

but you may have to filter through a lot of stuff depending how many components/integrations you have.

At the end I made it work, but:
Debug log was showing nothing. TBH I thought it would somehow turn on more details in ios application log. But it only affects HA log.

2021-01-26 00:07:08 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mobile_app.notify] mobile_app push notification rate limits for MaXyM’s iPhone: 2 sent, 300 allowed, 0 errors, resets in 0:52:51
2021-01-26 00:07:11 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mobile_app.notify] mobile_app push notification rate limits for MaXyM’s iPhone: 3 sent, 300 allowed, 0 errors, resets in 0:52:48

default logger level set to debug doesn’t show much more:

2021-01-26 00:43:48 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [547846122608] Received {'type': 'call_service', 'domain': 'notify', 'service': 'mobile_app_maxyms_iphone', 'service_data': {'message': 'Hello World'}, 'id': 76}
2021-01-26 00:43:48 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event call_service[L]: domain=notify, service=mobile_app_maxyms_iphone, service_data=message=Hello World>
2021-01-26 00:43:49 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mobile_app.notify] mobile_app push notification rate limits for MaXyM’s iPhone: 6 sent, 300 allowed, 0 errors, resets in 0:16:10

Anyway, I followed troubleshooting from this page https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/troubleshooting/faqs/
It mentions reinstalling the app at last resort option (despite an Android app is mentioned only)
After reinstalling app, notifications are by default disabled. So I enabled them and it started to work.
Maybe those notifications had been turned off somehow regardless what was shown in the settings.

Anyway… hours of trial and errors. It’s really hard to figure things out if application gives no cues. Also reinstalling as a solution doesn’t “sound” good.

Thank you Bartem for help.

1 Like