iRobot Roomba

@pschmitt excuse me Phillipp, what your Docker image is the latest? pschmitt/home-assistant:roomba or pschmitt/home-assistant:roomba-vacuum-pr ?
Could you please detail installation on HassIO for noobs like me? I guess I’d install something wrong :thinking:

Update: somehow I figured out how to manage Docker containers )) It seems the container with Roomba is not running:

root@hassio:~# docker ps -as
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                                      COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                      PORTS                                            NAMES                          SIZE
fa4d5ae132db        pschmitt/home-assistant:roomba-vacuum-pr   "python -m homeass..."   22 seconds ago      Exited (1) 17 seconds ago       

root@hassio:~# docker run --net=host pschmitt/home-assistant:roomba-vacuum-pr 
standard_init_linux.go:178: exec user process caused "exec format error"

If is fixable?

My Docker image wasn’t intended to be run from hassio, especially from an ARM device. It hosts the whole Home Assistant project. If you are running hassio there is no point in using it. Just update your Home Assistant instance and follow the documentation: https://home-assistant.io/components/vacuum.roomba/

How are you guys getting this to work? I installed the vacuum component above (thank you for this!) however i get the below error. Ive tried a few other scripts i found on GitHub like doritos to get the password and bld but I can’t get them. I thought this component was asking for my actual account creds but it looks like it needs the cryptic ones i can’t seem to get. any help would be VERYY much appreciated!!
Thanks!

2017-09-15 14:08:35 WARNING (Thread-6) [roomba.roomba.Roomba] TLS Setting failed - trying 1.3 version
2017-09-15 14:08:36 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update for media_player.living_room is already in progress
2017-09-15 14:08:38 ERROR (Thread-29) [roomba.roomba.Roomba] Roomba Connected with result code 5
2017-09-15 14:08:38 ERROR (Thread-29) [roomba.roomba.Roomba] Please make sure your blid and password are correct

go to the equivalent of this directory on your system. The getpassword.py you are looking for is in there.

/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/roomba
(homeassistant) homeassistant@hass2:/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/roomba$ ls
getpassword.py	__main__.py  password.py  __pycache__  res

It took me a while to find it too.

I own the iRobot Roomba 880 and 650 and I have the ability to use them any time I want from wherever I want. They’re pretty convenient and work smoothly without any complications.

Hi everybody !

I have the Roomba 966 !

I’ve got any trouble with the vaccum or his control, but on the official app, I haven’t access to the Clean Map since I’ve connected HA…
I don’t care to haven’t this in official app, but could we display it HA ?

Thank you !!

Just picked up a brand new 690 and I’m having a hell of a time getting my Id and password. Is this stuff region locked or is it possible my Roomba was shipped with a newer firmware ( 3.2.7+26 )

Yeah, I don’t think it supports the clean Map unfortunately… We find if started with HA there is no map in HA or in the official app.

Oh wow! Where did you get these codes? I spent forever looking and couldn’t come up with anything that worked with my Roomba! I think I wasn’t converting the various IR Hex/Pronto codes I found online correctly. Do you have any tips on going from codes found online (usually called hex code or pronto code) into something the Broadlinks can use?

@gorbypark you just use the service on Home Assistant to put the broadlink in learning mode. Point the remote control to the top of the broadlink and press a button you want to learn. Then on your home assistant interface you’ll see code in a card.

Ah, that makes sense. I don’t actually have the remote for my Roomba to use in learning mode. If it’s not too much trouble, any chance you could get me the rest of the codes, up/down/left/right/dock etc?

Did you integrate Roomba 880 with HA ?

I still can’t get the 880 password. Seems the 3.2.10 firmware blocks any attempt.

I’ve got the following error once added roomba to configuration:
2018-07-03 18:01:36 ERROR (SyncWorker_2) [roomba.roomba.Roomba] Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
HA service failed to start, when roomba configuration is commented out - startup is OK.

vacuum:

• platform: roomba
    host: 192.168.1.48
    username: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    password: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    name: Robo

Some more logs:
Jul 6 15:40:00 miniserv scl: 2018-07-06 15:40:00 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.vacuum.roomba] Initializing communication with host 192.168.1.48 (username: XXXXXXXXXXXX)
Jul 6 15:40:00 miniserv scl: 2018-07-06 15:40:00 INFO (SyncWorker_13) [roomba.roomba.Roomba] Connecting
Jul 6 15:40:00 miniserv scl: 2018-07-06 15:40:00 INFO (SyncWorker_13) [roomba.roomba.Roomba] Seting TLS
Jul 6 15:40:00 miniserv scl: 2018-07-06 15:40:00 ERROR (SyncWorker_13) [roomba.roomba.Roomba] Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Jul 6 15:40:00 miniserv scl: Config directory: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant
Jul 6 15:40:00 miniserv scl: CV or numpy module not found, falling back to PIL
Jul 6 15:40:00 miniserv scl: PIL module not found, maps are disabled

Any suggestions?

1 Like

Found a fix for the issue, several steps.

1. Install following packages for your HA virtualenv:
    pip install opencv-python
    pip install Pillow
    pip install numpy

2. PyPI have outdated version of Roomba module (1.2.1). Download and update your virtualenv with version 1.2.3: https://github.com/NickWaterton/Roomba980-Python

3. Modify roomba.py - add catching FileNotFoundError:
    self.log.info("Seting TLS")
    try:
    self.client.tls_set(
    self.cert_name, cert_reqs=ssl.CERT_NONE,
    tls_version=ssl.PROTOCOL_TLSv1)
    except (ValueError, FileNotFoundError):

3 Likes

@gooorooo awesome! nice find. do you find you can do anything with this? i was hoping to look into how the roomba generates the map that the app uses, and maybe create a hass camera that shows the last map the roomba saw

I’ve created a pull request with some code changes and proposed to publish most recent version in PyPI repository. All the next steps are on NickWaterton’s side.
No plans to enhance current Roomba module - I’m newbie with HA code at the moment.

Hi! I have trouble getting trash bin status on my dashboard, I’m using the code below. The problem is that the template sensor says “OK” even though the bin actually is full, can anyone help me? :frowning:

- platform: template
    sensors:
      roomba_bin_state_template:
        friendly_name: 'Cleos behållare'
        value_template: >-
          {%- if "states.vacuum.roomba.attributes.bin_full", "false" %}
              OK
          {%- elif "states.vacuum.roomba.attributes.bin_full", "true" %}
              Behöver tömmas (needs to be emptied)
          {%- else %}
              Ingen kontakt (offline)
          {%- endif %}

Does the bin_full attribute ever change to true?

Mine does every time the bin gets full yeah :slight_smile: and I finally got it working now throught this thread: Get attribute in template sensor