Is Insteon Dead?

I am surprised I did not do this before. I just added media_players and all are there. I have a Dayton Audio DAX 88 and can control on/off, vol up/down, mute on/off on each zone automatically now through Alexa. So much more to do.

I did exactly the same thing (network reset during troubleshooting) and sure hope this didn’t impact my ability to use HA with the hub. Did you get an answer?

If it does work do you use the login info on the bottom of the hub to setup?

Thx

I’m really bummed about no longer being able to use apps and Alexa for my insteon devices. I see some comments about maybe being able to substitute HA for the Insteon hub so I will pursue that. I don’t understand why the hub relied on Insteon’s servers in the first place. Couldn’t it have worked independently??

Took about 2 hours to read and setup home assistant with nabu casa Thanks to all and this link Windows - Home Assistant
I have yet to see how to add devices but if I remember there is a manual way to link the devices just have to dig that up but at least i can remotely control stuff at the Vacation Rental I’m set up so i don’t need to change much just keep an eye on things and have remote control and alexa google integration so all my accounts after adding nabu and doing some house cleaning in alexa account are working fine…
at least half the house was zwave due to limits on insteon motion sensors that they never fixed… they were not a good company from the get go. This day was coming and I ignored it.

Will wait for Matter to arrive… Here’s how Amazon, Google, Apple, and Samsung plan to work with Matter - The Verge

Try the directions I posted here

1 Like

I just added s sensor… manually no software involved that’s whats was nice about insteon many things could be added without software. now the trick is find out how to set the timers

So I now have my Insteon hub connected to HA and can confirm that the “network” reset was fine. You use the default login info on the bottom of the hub when setting it up. All my switches appeared after the discovery and function as expected. Just had to determine which was which so I could rename them. I used the Virtual Box image to test but will set up a permanent solution when I am confident that the connections are reliable. Good luck.

I did a network reset, but now no IP address to use HA… How did you get an IP address after a reset

So my hub was using dhcp and after the network reset I went onto my router and looked up the MAC address to find the assigned IP. That is what I used in HA to communicate with it. If your router supports the feature the other option is to reserve an IP for the hub so it always gets the same one after a reboot.

Thanks, interesting read. I guess there’s no real news there, but this line jumped out at me:

In 2017, Smartlabs Inc. was acquired by Richmond Capital Partners, a private investment firm founded by Rob Lilleness, and Lilleness was installed as CEO.

This isn’t the first time a “private investment firm” has jumped in to pillage and destroy a company. We’ve all seen it happen before.

Makes me appreciate HA, local control and open source all the more!

@mwav3 can tell you the story of the rise and fall of Wink, by Will.i.am.

1 Like

Lol, yes I’ve ranted about Wink quite a bit over the years. That sure was a disaster.

But at least it was a slow death we kind of saw coming. This Insteon thing almost seems to have come out of nowhere, which I think makes it tougher. Although there were some warning signs in hindsight I suppose:

Its just the most recent example in a long line of shutdowns of cloud connected Smarthome tech though

The bottom line is you absolutely want local control - And Home Assistant is the way to go. Very glad I switched and am here.

2 Likes

I contacted aartech.ca Where I have usually bought all my Insteon over the years. They have write a few articles about the situation and all the available options. They have been left in the blind same thing as us…

https://www.aartech.ca/insteon-alternatives

1 Like

If you have missed the Insteon update:

https://www.insteon.com/news2022

Dear Insteon Community,

In 2017, after many successful years, Smartlabs, Inc found itself in financial difficulties and the path forward was unclear. That year, Smartlabs took in additional capital and brought in new management to turn the situation around. These efforts resulted in new investment into the fortification of the technology and development of new products. The future was looking bright.

In 2019, the onset of the global pandemic brought unforeseen disruption to the market, but the company continued to move forward. However, the subsequent (and enduring) disruption to the supply chain caused by the pandemic proved incredibly difficult and the company engaged in a sales process in November, 2021. The goal was to find a parent for the company and continue to invest in new products and the technology. The process resulted in several interested parties and a sale was expected to be realized in the March timeframe. Unfortunately, that sale did not materialize. Consequently, the company was assigned to a financial services firm in March to optimize the assets of the company.

The pioneering work in smart lighting and world-class products have created an extraordinary following and community. Clearly, all Smartlabs’ employees who have worked so hard to produce such world-class products and technology hope that a buyer can be found for the company.

Although incredibly difficult, we hope that the Insteon community understands the tireless efforts by all the employees to serve our customers, and deeply apologize to the community.

Worked for me and yes to the login information … but HA is AGES slower than Insteon Hub in doing scenes

Assuming you still have the scenes already programmed in the PLM or HUB. To execute them with speed you are accustomed to you will want to run the PLM/HUB scene from Home Assistant. You can execute them using HA and from Alexa or the others. You can create Automation and Scripts for the scenes. The trick was to convert the hexadecimal scene number from the link database to decimal for the functions in HA. If you dump the link database and then sort the table by group number, it’s easy to determine what are the scenes and how they relate to devices.

Here the final Nail! Just receive that by mail…

I may not be completely following, but I think this may be what you’re referring to:

• The scenes I have on my Hub I haven’t seen anywhere; those weren’t automatically imported into HA and I haven’t done anything to add them (didn’t know one could)

• I separately created a scene within the HA browser and then ran the scene from my HA browser

• I’m not running any automation, just simple scenes, like “all on” and “all off”

• I haven’t done anything with hexadecimals or decimals (and don’t know how to do that); have only added the scene in HA using the embedded scene function