Is the Google Travel Time Sensor Broke

I have a few sensors that I occasionally use for reminders to leave for work and a few other things, but not stuff I pay attention to all the time. Today I realized that all my sensors were not working.

I think they have been not working for at least the last couple of versions (maybe since 74, possibly .73 (I’m on .75 now and still not working)

Here is an error from the logs

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/google_travel_time.py", line 112, in run_setup
    hass, name, api_key, origin, destination, options)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/google_travel_time.py", line 147, in __init__
    self.update()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/util/__init__.py", line 325, in wrapper
    result = method(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/google_travel_time.py", line 228, in update
    self._origin, self._destination, **options_copy)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 356, in wrapper
    result = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/distance_matrix.py", line 130, in distance_matrix
    return client._request("/maps/api/distancematrix/json", params)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 260, in _request
    extract_body, requests_kwargs, post_json)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 260, in _request
  [Previous line repeated 7 more times]
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 203, in _request
    raise googlemaps.exceptions.Timeout()
googlemaps.exceptions.Timeout

Not sure if this is related as well

File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 253, in _request
    result = self._get_body(response)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 276, in _get_body
    raise googlemaps.exceptions._RetriableRequest()
googlemaps.exceptions._RetriableRequest

Mine seems to be working.

Mine’s working too, on 0.74.0.

Could it be related to th new auth?

Same Issue here. 0.75.0

sensor:
  - platform: google_travel_time
    name: Home to Work
    api_key: !secret google_travel_api_key
    origin: zone.home
    destination: zone.work

About

Home Assistant

Path to configuration.yaml: /config

Developed by a bunch of awesome people.

Published under the Apache 2.0 license
Source: server — frontend-ui

Built using Python 3, Polymer, Icons by Google and MaterialDesignIcons.com.

Frontend JavaScript version: latest
Try out the new Lovelace UI (experimental)

>> Set lovelace as default page on this device <<
Error doing job: Future exception was never retrieved
12:56 components/sensor/google_travel_time.py (ERROR)
12:56 components/sensor/google_travel_time.py (ERROR)
Setup of config is taking over 10 seconds.
12:55 bootstrap.py (WARNING)

Press the button to load the full Home Assistant log.
Log Details (ERROR)
Sun Aug 05 2018 12:56:46 GMT+0200 (Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 253, in _request
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 276, in _get_body

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 253, in _request
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 276, in _get_body

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/google_travel_time.py", line 112, in run_setup
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/google_travel_time.py", line 147, in __init__
    self.update()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/util/__init__.py", line 325, in wrapper
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/google_travel_time.py", line 228, in update
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 356, in wrapper
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/distance_matrix.py", line 130, in distance_matrix
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 260, in _request
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 260, in _request
  [Previous line repeated 8 more times]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 203, in _request

Is it possible this is because of the policy and pricing changes google made a couple of months ago?

https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/user-guide/

Maybe. I created a new API key today. I got one hit and then 100’s of errors. One of the sensors showed up. The other few did not. Google showed one successful hit. I restarted HA and now nothing. All errors on the google end. Like too many hits at once? Not sure yet.

Same issue here, all sensors stopped working about 1-2 days ago:

Log Details (ERROR)
Mon Aug 06 2018 10:46:23 GMT+1000 (Australian Eastern Standard Time)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/google_travel_time.py", line 112, in run_setup
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/google_travel_time.py", line 147, in __init__
    self.update()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/util/__init__.py", line 318, in wrapper
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/google_travel_time.py", line 228, in update
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 356, in wrapper
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/distance_matrix.py", line 130, in distance_matrix
  [Previous line repeated 8 more times]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/googlemaps/client.py", line 203, in _request

Running 73.2, no changes since it worked last, just stopped working :confused:

Same issue for me as well. Was working fine on 0.74.1. Upgraded to 0.75.1 today and have the same error. I tried updating my Google Billing account, which created a new API key for the Distance Matrix API. Added the key to the .yaml and restarted HA, but still receiving the same error.

edit: One of my Google Travel Time sensors started working again the next morning. So maybe you do have to update your billing account, add the new key, and wait for the changes to happen on Google’s side.

I remember seeing somewhere that you need to add a credit card… No i’m not joking.

EDIT: Maybe that’s why it’s working for you now @dwinnn

I actually did that too. Still did not fix the issue. Like the few other comments here, It was working and then suddenly not. So weird. But is has been less than a day, so maybe that will fix it for me. We’ll see

I have the same issue after upgrading to 0.75 on hassbian

Yes I’ve been having this too. I saw one successful hit and then 100% failure. My google calendar still updates fine with a separate API key.

same for me

My account already has my Credit Card, got a new API, and the problem is still there, no sensors respond.

Following up. Same as others, new API, CC info entered. Have waited over 24 hours. Restarted this morning, one sensor showed up, the others did not. Looking at google, I got one good request followed by many errors.

Just guessing, but I have 5 sensors. I suspect that after a restart they all request info at the same time. Maybe google is getting too many requests, using the same API, so it locks HA out, then HA finishes starting and the sensors are not there to request any data.

Those of you who have said they are good, do you have more than one google sensor?

I have four sensors set up, and a CC in the account. Checking the usage I’m well under the free limits and I’m not seeing any issues in the sensors updating.

Cool, what version of HA are you running. I’ve been noticing issues since 74, and have not made any changes to the sensors. The only other things I’ve messed with is the Alexa TTS stuff, maybe something realted, but I could not see how.

I did install this

pip install lxml

Other than that, I’ve made no configuration changes other than updating HA to the lastest versions 74, 74.1, 75, 75.1, etc

I’m on 0.74.0 (yeah, behind the times).