Is this a new Sonoff device? Sonoff Mini

:roll_eyes:

I was replying to a post

I don’t know if this fits behind the switch in a normal European socket. You need to also consider the extra length of the wires which reside on the back of the switch in the wall socket, which is not that deep

Can’t see how this is any better than the Shelly, which already has CE approval and is smaller.

Shelly 1

In fact it’s less interesting than Shelly as mone complicated to integrate in existing wiring (I used Shelly in my house and it was easy for wiring as it’s supported that the switch be wired on L line and not the two wires on its own at Shelly…

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382989642493
You mean like this one? Its tuya/ smart life dimmer with optional physical switch input. I bought one, it uses an unusual esp8285 module. Managed to reverse engineer some of it and got it to dim with ESPHome. Unfortunately blew it up before I could get the switch part sorted. Cant justify buying another yet as I dont need a dimmer module (yet).

2 Likes

Nice find!
Can you share what you discovered to date?
Some of the tuya dimmers got supported already by tasmota so might be able to apply some of their work here, too.
It would be excellent if the switch works (can be made to work) with a momentary/retractive switch - e.g. click on, click off, hold for dim up and down.

I bought one to try it :slight_smile:
Hopefully tasmota community can crack this…

And sorry for this off topic stuff… no more now :wink:

Great find!!

On the Shelly 1, the accessible GPIO pins all carry high voltage when the device is connected to mains. If Tx and Rx are isolated from mains voltage on the Mini as are in the other Sonoffs, then the Mini will certainly have an edge over the Shelly 1 in my opinion.

Question: does anyone know if this will let it work in a 2-wire light switch?

Literally: white in from outside box —> switch —> white out to outside box
Instinct tells me no, but I’m deferring to the experts :raised_hands:

That depends on whether the GPIO pins in the Mini are accessible and isolated from mains voltage (like the Sonoff Basic). Is yes, the mini would have an edge in my opinion. The GPIO pins on the Shelly 1 carry high voltage when the device is connected to mains, and cannot be used to control sensors and for other purposes.

2 Likes

It’s now on the itead website:

https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-mini.html

I’ve received 6 minis. Soldering onto those pins to flash will be difficult.

Can you post a photo?

Sonoff are advertising DIY mode which will apparently allow LAN control from third part software. When that’s out soldering might not be needed at all.

There is a photo in the thread already.

Found this, think it’s out already

This looks promising. It says “Flash the firmware via OTA”. I hope is ANY software.

See here, think it looks/says you can upload DIY firmware

I’ll try this DIY tool out soon. No mention of it with docs of the product.