Is this some sort of weird april fools joke - crooked cards?

@thomasloven nice joke, I love it :+)
Don’t get why people are so annoyed!!

Anyway, if it was up to me, do it again next year, but maybe test upfront :-d

I was going nuts, my OCD was NOT happy. LOL

You do realize that this change is only to custom code. It is installed through HACS or via a custom download. It has nothing to do with HA core or supervisor code. Many times custom cards break on monthly updates. If you are using the custom cards you need to understand how they work and how to remove or fix them. I again feel this was a harmless joke.

1 Like

Not necessarily. I joined he forum and installed HA on a Raspberry Pi3 a few years ago. I was underwhelmed by the performance and overwhelmed with the complexity. I didn’t use HA for more than a year, but I never erased my forum ID.

This is not cool… i installed the update, restarted HA, and the problem still persist

2 Likes

Have you cleared your browser/app cache?

Look up the thread for advice on how. Here for Android, here for iOS, ctrl + F5 to force refresh in most desktop/laptop browsers.

1 Like

I cleared browser/cache and the problem persist :frowning: I had to disable the Minimalist Lovelace…

Ah, ok - I don’t use that, but I think an update has been released for it today as well. Worth a try, or maybe you have already updated? If so, I’m out of ideas I’m afraid.

1 Like

UIminimalist has an update, you have to update that as well.
EDIT: Chris beat me to the punch

Why can’t people just live with a bit of crookedness for a day? After nearly falling for several Twitter posts, in the full knowledge of the date, I nearly choked on my corn flakes when I saw the dashboard this morning! :laughing: Well done @thomasloven Actually thought it was something to do with the HA team as I remember @frenck lamenting the lack of easter eggs in HA in a podcast recently. Maybe he’d seen the code and was giving us a pre warning! :face_with_monocle:

Apart from being hilarious, it is a very good point by Thomas. How do we verify the plugins in HACS without becoming full Apple? :thinking:

5 Likes

… is it though?

1 Like

How do we verify all the dependencies pulled in by them and by HA ? And the dependencies of said dependencies ? How do we verify the Python environment itself and pip ? How do we verify the Docker framework, buildroot (on which HAOS is based) and the thousands of dependencies all that is built upon ?

Open source is a house of cards built on trust. If the chain of trust is broken, then everything falls apart.

3 Likes

It’s because this is an abuse of trust.We trust this code to run our homes. It’s not about “the dev spend so many hours, he can do what he wants”. I don’t use the plugin, but I can certainly appreciate the work. But the work doesn’t grant a permission to intrude on peoples homes with unwanted pranks. This was a bad joke that converted all his fine work into a trojan horse.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what this is though. The trust was broken.

1 Like

Just get over it my friend, and all your friends above and below you.

Lesson learned by all.

At least he has had the balls to apologize for his actions on many, many, many occasions; and IS remorseful for his actions :clap:

There are many like yourself who should maybe do the same :thinking:

There are probably more consequences from all of this in the background for him that we haven’t heard about yet.

If I were YOU , I would just delete ALL of his cards from YOUR system just to be sure :thinking: and after all that; in your free time could you kindly share hundreds of hours developing something please ?

Or better still; leave all your automation to others :thinking: … Not sure …

4 Likes

The dev who did this “joke”should be banned from contributing further. This is inexcusable gross violation of the trust and access granted to the dev by users of HA. I did not consent to allow you to use my home automation system as the ass end of your “joke.”

I’ve recommend HA to a number of people, some that are not that tech savvy. Most who want something that isn’t “spying” on them. How do you think it makes them feel when a stunt like this is made?

A few months back, an-add on got pulled because the dev forgot to disclose that the add-on “phoned home” anonymous data. If that’s an offense then this is certainly one. The dev hacked users HA systems and used them in an unauthorized manner.

The HA team needs to ban the dev immediately and permanently.

A crooked front-end. On the 1st of April. Chill.

3 Likes

I’m note that the dev’s actions in this case could very likely be considered criminal.

Hey. This was a custom object. The dev allowed you to use it. You decided to use it in addition to HA. If you don’t want to use it, remove it. But don’t blame the dev or HA for this.

At least my HA would be <20% so beautiful and useful without the great work from Thomas with all hist custom extentions.

3 Likes