Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

I used this tutorial on a Pi zero W and it was solid.

I’m hugely dunning-Kruger-ing myself here, but if it can run on a pi zero w then surely this Lenovo has the chops? @synesthesiam (sorry to cold summon you, think of it more like a “hey buddy, any thought on this?”). Please don’t let your creativeness be impeded by my poorly thought out technical waffling - but….

Automate seems like a good option, I wonder if the delay would be too slow?
Something like
Automate hears wake word, which enables the micRTP stream. Then it would need some kind of trigger to disable the stream again after.
The micRTP app could always be running, it would just need pausing somehow so could rapidly resume state on a wake word?

Any other android apps that could use the mic for wake word detection and trigger the stream to HA to use the awesome Wyoming pipeline (is flattery working :stuck_out_tongue: )?
It makes sense to use Stream Assist for the audio pipeline server side.

So far LOVE these devices - I have 5 now and a bunch of friends bought some too.

Edit: picovoice

Regarding audio streaming for these devices - does any of the panel apps? Fully kiosk or wall panel, have any interest in using its mic capability and adding a wake word plugin?

Would be kind cool if the kiosk/panel app provides a streaming source as well as a speaker source to start. And then added wake word detection to kick off the audio streaming and pause it when the session finishes?

Edit: there’s a guide here:

I’ll have a look and see if I could fork the code, and try with this or RTPmic - but I fear I am WAYYYYY out of my depth

Is there a way to do that on the Android 11 ROM?

It’s a system option so maybe but I don’t have A11 any more.

Has anyone experimented with a native screensaver instead of the ones built into wallpanel/FK? Im trying to decide if this would work: Releases · 3rob3/ImmichFrame · GitHub vs my half s$$ed implemenation of it as a HA dashboard via the google photos integration. I use both gphotos and immich but gphotos api has a request restriction so if i have multiple devices showing a slideshow they end up erroring out and showing a missing image icon instead of the photos. There is also this integration GitHub - outadoc/immich-home-assistant: Home Assistant component to display random pictures from your Immich library. but it doesnt have a configurable interval (just fixed to 5 minutes) and it also doesnt have a few nice things that the gphotos integration has like aspect ratio cropping settings and stuff. Was thinking about just trying that immichframe as an apk for the screensaver and then flip to wallpanel/fk when someone touches the screen or something.

The hardware itself is more than capable of running local wakeword detection software. And the HA companion app provides an easy way to connect Automate to the assist pipeline (it can be called directly as a service).

There’s technically nothing preventing you running wyoming satellite on these devices, android is Linux based after all. But even with root access I lack the technical skills to get it working.

My devices running hotword plugin have a very short delay, the device recognizes the wakeword and is ready to take a command with a 1-2 seconds. Overall I’ve been very happy with it’s performance, my only issue is that you can’t use the same wakewords as other wyoming satellites, because hotword plugin doesn’t use the same software for its detection. You can see it working in the video I posted here: View Assist - Visual feedback for Assist voice assistant on an Android tablet (Install info provided on Wiki) - #20 by Endlessvoid

2 Likes

2 quick notes on picovoice, cause I looked into this as an option as well:

1. It doesn’t use the same wakeword detection method as openwakeword, it’s an entirely different software (porcupine), so it has the same issue where it can’t share a wakeword with any wyoming satellites you have setup with openwakeword.
  2. I’m not convinced it’s a local wakeword detection method, since it requires creating an account and using an API access token. But I can’t say for sure.
2 Likes

Where is it and what’s it called on A8? Couldn’t find anything on A11

Its been a while since this was mentioned. Is there a timeline for maybe getting vad and oww added to the ha android app? Currently im using streamassist with ipcam (and wallpanel) and its doing pretty decent but would be great to go from 3 apps down to 1.

1 Like

@pgale @mattmon im having issues with adb remount command running Lineageos on the TVS. It seems as though i have to install magisk since lineage removed root abilities. Has anyone else with multiple devices and the same MAC address gotten around modifying the MAC on the lineageos rom?

Edit: looks like this might not be an issue anymore: Getting Stuck at adb remount · pgale/lineage_15.1_Installation_TSV · Discussion #3 · GitHub

@janstadt I tried to do the same and then after investigating, the three I deployed all had unique MAC addresses so I moved on.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been asking a few people who install multiple TSV from new if they have duplicate mac addresses and no one so far has reported it. I removed that section from the guide as it doesn’t appear to apply. I have two additional brand new devices that I’m going to install today to check for myself but I expect them to be ok.

Do you actually have duplicate mac addresses ?

I’m having trouble using adb with the TSV. I have two, one with A11, and a new one where I just finished edl for Lineage 15.1. I can’t adb from my mac to either of them. The cable should be fine - it’s the same one successfully used by edl, but I’m seeing no devices in adb.
I was able to connect to a different android device (though a USB, rather than USB-C one, so not the same cable).

Important note: for the A11 developer mode and USB debugging is turned on. For the A8, I’m booting into recovery in order to sideload Lineage after edl.
Any ideas?

How far have you got with Lineage 15.1?

Have you got a working OS and you’re now trying to use ADB OR are you still trying to install the OS package and OpenGApps package?

Unfortunately my Lineage guide is only for Windows and Linux, so might not be able to help with Mac though. I seem to remember someone else having problems with their Mac and the install but I can’t remember what stage they were at.

The latter - finished edl, booted into recovery, and trying to sideload lineage and gapps

I would imagine it’s down to the USB port type possibly. How are you running ADB on the Mac?

Have you got any other machine you can try it from?

I’ve also heard others using USB 2.0 hubs to resolve problems. Worth a shot if you have one but I wouldn’t buy one on a bit of a guess.

@mattmon did you ever get a TSV upgraded to the larger RAM module you had?

ok, was able to get a Windows laptop, and sideload lineage and g apps. Booted again, connected to WiFI, and it’s now stuck on “Checking for updates” for over 15 minutes…

UPDATE: Rotating the device solves that and allowed me to continue. Looking forward to comparing Lineage to A11…