Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

I did a full wipe as well and reinstalled everything and it had been stable for about a day but now its happening again. Kind of a bummer. I’ll see what i can figure out tho, maybe i have a misconfigured setting or something. There is a setting in wifi that says “Wifi doesnt turn back on automatically” which is off (on my other devices as well). Could this have anything to do with it? It requires location and a bunch of other settings to be on (turn wifi on when you come into your house to save battery on your phone essentially which isnt something we need) so i havent enabled those things. Has anyone experimented with that?

I haven’t but can confirm that WiFi does seem to drop/reconnect with LineageOS. And seems to go through phases. My WiFi is storng, and I have many devices that have weaker radios that stay connected, so I think the issue is in the TSV, not my setup.

Here’s one of my units over the course of June - you can see it connects and disconnects:

I’m going to experiment with an Automate automation to take the device into Airplane mode for 30 seconds if disconnected for more than a few minutes, and then get out of Airplane mode. Just to see if that can help the unit from getting stuck in a disconnected state.

Thanks @dimatx. Thats very helpful. I did exactly that (toggled airplane mode) and it seemed to get me back on wifi. Its just weird cuz when it drops, ip cam flips out and comes full screen in front of wallpanel and my daughter was like “why is there a camera on my screen” in her room. lolol. I went to the audio only endpoint in ipcam after that for stream assist. ha!

I don’t have io cam but my device seem very stable (LOS+wallpanel with motion detection via camera).
When it wakes via the motion detection the clock that I have on that dashboard is always on time so the connection is good and not an “old” image/page

Doing a quick google search for Lineagos and wifi and there are a lot of other posts about it, some having to do with incorrectly cleaned up partitions during recovery/flashing/etc. I wonder if mine is just goofed up from all the flashings i’ve done? I’ll wait back to see if @dimatx has luck with airplane toggling but ideally this wouldnt be required. I do have tasker so i could do the same, but really dont want to. Sounds familiar: https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/5wcujz/comment/de99z9c/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

1 Like

Has anyone had any success getting their screen set up as a Chromecast device? I tried CastReceiver, but it doesn’t work. Music Assistant finds it but won’t stream to it, probably related to this issue. The speakers aren’t great, but they’re not terrible, either. It would be cool to use them as a small media player.

1 Like

I have Snapcast running on each of 5 devices. Linked to MA using the inbuilt snapcast server. Works well and reliably so far.

2 Likes

Ooh, thanks, I’ll give it a shot!

1 Like

Oh, and I think it’s called snapdroid - available on the play store but a later version available to download as an apk.

1 Like

Has anyone had experience transitioning from A11 to Lineage 15.1? I’m very interested in this because I’ve personally experienced changes in partition sizes when transitioning from A11 to A8.1, which turned my first ThinkSmart into a brick. Does this also happen when transitioning from A11 to Lineage OS?

Never heard of the TSV being bricked as the Lenovo RSA normally works to reset partitions and re-install stock software. I went from A11 to Lineage 15.1 on one machine and have heard others doing the same. If you think you still have a brick, I’d try the recovery tool and try again.

Same advice for A11 if you’re going Lineage 15.1.

Brand new user here just installing Lineage. I have screen timeout disabled in developer options but the screen goes black after the timeout anyway. Problem there is that it doesn’t come back on touch, I found that toggling the camera will turn the screen back on. Anyone seen anything like this? I just want the display on all the time.

Yes standard behaviour.

Things to help:

1. enable wake on volume buttons - easier than camera privacy slider. You can disable that in buttons options too in settings.
  2. I think the option you enabled only works when charging. As there’s no battery, it doesn’t work.
  3. use fully kiosk and enable always on. Not sure if the free wall panel also has this.
1 Like

Good day everyone…
I am finally a proud owner of this thing and i got til point 15 of the github instruction:
Select the Tools menu and then Partition Manager.
But when i try i dont get any partition manager shown…
The initial write to device part seemed to be successful according to the logs.
Where do i take the wrong turn?
Thx for any advice

Basic troubleshooting questions first - you restart everything? and have you tried reinstalling everything, starting the guide from the top? and when you try to access the partitions, are you holding volume up & down?

1 Like

Hello and thx for the answer. Windows was restarted, so was the devcie, i always boot it into the volume down black screen and then let go the button and start doing something with the qfil tool. Is there any step where the vol buttons have to be kept pressed while playing with the qfil?

1 Like

For the partition step and loading of the recovery partition, you need to boot the device holding BOTH volume buttons (+ and -). You said you were booting holding the vol - button.

The buttons only ever need holding while the device boots initially. I hold them until I see the first flash of the logo.

1 Like

Thx, i am doing both buttons, my volume down was meant saying that, just in a short form.
So device is in black screen mode, i can flash/downlaod the said software components as pictured in all steps til step 15. I can repeatedly do that without sahara error, but i am doing this with a usb 3 port.
Logs are saying all success, but after rebooting device into black screen again and selecting the pirt again, the tools section stays only equipped with three items and non of them is anywhere close to partition managaer.
I assume that tools menu is dynamic and changes according to its “findings” on the com port?
Thx alot for any further clues

So, now i got version 2.0.19 instaed of 2.0.0.9 of the qfil tool and all the sudden it shows the partition manager

2 Likes