Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Thanks for the update! Oh so you think it’s fully kiosk that’s causing it? I’m using wall panel. Wonder if those settings are for underlying android settings???

It seemed that way for me, I don’t think they are underlying Android settings - FKB features I think. Remind me, your tablets disconnect and don’t reconnect, or eventually do? How often do they drop and for how long? Have you tested without WallPanel running? How about with FKB instead, just to see if you can find any pattern… What does your AP / router show, just TSVs dropping without any errors?

My difference before and after…

2 Likes

I realise this probably falls into the category of ‘dumb question’, but have just picked on of these up and am trawling through the wealth of information available to figure out how to get it up and running as an HA dashboard; my question - can I use a regular USB cable to do the flashing or do I need an ‘EDL Cable’?

Also, I use a Mac day to day but have a Windows laptop knocking around - is one platform easier to do the flashing on than another?

Have a look at my guide:

And my dashboard:

2 Likes

Oh fantastic, this is exactly what I was after, thanks! Will get stuck into it this evening :slight_smile:

As a bonus question; have you tried using any voice assistant stuff on it? I’ve been looking to dabble with Wyoming Satellite (or similar) so I can start to get rid of Alexa devices…

Right now there are two methods to get voice assistant working on these.

There’s Dinki’s view assist method:

And my Tasker method:

Both use 3rd party applications to bridge the gap between Android and your HA server, each method has its pros and cons.

2 Likes

Was just about to mention that - you beat me to it :grin:

I’ll have to explore your other method.

1 Like

All up and running thanks to your instructions - much appreciated - would have taken me hours to figure out without them!

1 Like

Great to hear :slight_smile:

If you’re willing to give up on wake words (which always seem like a recipe for disaster anyway - between TVs uttering the wake word, or someone outside shouting them / playing them), you can have an assist button in your dashboard, without needing to install anything. All you need is a regular button card.

I spent longer than I care to admit trying to get a root su binary into system.bin to flash. Can you please point me toward the one you posted? I wasn’t able to find it.

Thanks for all the work on this!

1 Like

Sold out sadly.

They come up now and then on there.

I’d add to the install process that with the amount of messing around on windows, someone could download 20.04 livecd, flash it to a drive, boot and install everything they need and get the flash done in about 15 minutes start to finish.

With windows you’ll be messing with python and the USB drivers for way more than 15-20 mins.

1 Like

Would someone please share how tall the device is, lying sideways and standing up? The official dimensions are not too clear. Thank you!

Is the SD-8501F compatible with this mod?

I managed to snag 2 in the sale but one was doa and the second I can not get it to work I tried all the methods in this thread checking the path over and over and trying to ever suggestion. Tried the git hub pgale and even the 2 xda methods but always error out here. It uploads then can’t find the file even though I am looking right at LOL and its find the other files I think. Using my usb c hard drive cable and tried another amazons basic one and both did the same. Thanks in advance for any help given.

sahara - Uploading loader /home/edl/kingston-ha-rom/bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn …
sahara
sahara - [LIB]: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/home/edl/kingston-ha-rom/bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn’

You’re trying Mattmon’s install with those commands?

Try a USB-2 port rather than USB-3. If you don’t have one, try an older device that does, or a basic USB Hub inbetween.