Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

I had assumed there was an internal CMOS battery (or equivalent) for time maintenance, but now I see that it’s losing the time and date whenever there’s a power loss. The inability to utilize a standard local NTP server is baffling, and a real problem.

Success!!! Thank you!

I used your bash script, but moved the ‘tcpip’ command directly beneath ‘devices’:

#!/bin/bash

while true
do
    adb devices
    adb tcpip 5555
    adb shell settings put secure user_setup_complete 1
    adb shell settings put global device_provisioned 1
done

That made the Lenovo start listening on port 5555. The other commands appeared to still fail, but once I knew 5555 was open, I was able to connect to it over the network.

adb connect kingston.lan:5555

(I confirmed 5555 was open by doing a quick port scan of the Lenovo IP using Angry IP scanner before moving on. I’m sure there are terminal utilities to do the same, but I’m lazy :slight_smile: )

Then I was able to run the provisioning commands. This allowed the home button to work, as well as enabling developer mode. With developer mode enabled, I could access the usb settings and change from charging to mtp.

I can’t seem to get the adb network connection to persist across reboots yet, I’ve tried

adb shell setprop persist.adb.tcp.port 5555

as well as

adb shell
su
setprop persist.adb.tcp.port 5555

to set the property as root. I’m still hoping to resolve this as well, but I’m much further along now!

2 Likes

Quick followup. It appears that toggling USB debugging off and back on re-enables network debugging(after a reboot/power loss). Meaning I won’t have hook up a laptop to the Lenovo if (when) there’s power loss. I think I’m at a ‘good enough’ spot now, YAY!

just tried this, doesn’t work on mine.
I was already thinking about rooting the device, in order to automatically enable USB debugging over WiFi.

does anyone know, if the steps from this xda-developers post - below You can also technically install Magisk without reflashing your device. - can be used with the files/image provided by @mattmon?

essentially it is: installing root app, unlocking bootloader, flashing a Magisk boot.img, lock bootloader again

The boot shim for magisk is not present on this rom.

Magisk is a systemless root solution; installing it on a userdebug rom where you already have root and the ability to modify the file system is…. Pointless :wink:

Would someone with a unit mind checking if the power supply works on 230V?
I’m looking at buying a couple units in the US for use in Europe.

Exactly what I’m looking for as well. I’ve tried a few Airplay/Cast “receiver” apps and none of them seem to work. Casting from Spotify will get to a very brief Spotify splash screen then exit immediately. And no cast device is auto-discovered by HA. I suspect adding “Enable Cast endpoint” to Fully would be a thing many people would enjoy, but is just wishful thinking. I’ll reply if I ever find a way to do it.

Please do! This is really the only thing keeping me from getting several more.

It appears so

1 Like

Excellent work! Following for updates.

It looks like a few people have been trying already, but in my mind with two additional features, this would be pretty much perfect:

1. Local wakeword detection
  2. Being able to cast to this (ex. a YouTube video) or use it as a media player

Regardless, pricepoint is hard to beat for the functionality it already has.

Failing to properly provision like the instructions mention will definitely create the issue described. I did the same thing, skipping that step and experiencing odd behaviors.

Bugger I forgot about that. Bloody US adapters, pita. What’s on the device end?

So I’m finally getting around to trying this. The installation instructions mention to extract the 7zip into the edl directory. However, since there is no flash/ directory in the 7z, I think you mean that we should extract it to the edl/flash/ directory.

You could splice on another 20v adapter or just use a converter. Be aware that the barrel jack end is quite a snug fit on the molded section so you’d have a find/modify a similar connector if that’s the approach you choose.

I believe the connector is 4.0x1.7 but can’t explicitly verify that.

2 Likes

I have a few 19v laptop supplies that may work.

The devices arrived by courier to the office yesterday, but I am trying to avoid it as I am on holiday.

This my issue. User error. Let me fix that and try again. Thanks everyone

Get ready to buy more…

It’s already built into Fully Kiosk Browser. I just installed the Fully Kiosk component in HA, and lo and behold:

Too late to mess with audio, but looks like Fully gives you a standard media_player to use!

2 Likes

Good to know! Let us know if it works; playing media has been hit or miss depending on the source/app on the device.

Great looking setup. That thinksmart fits right in!

Seeing all of you successfully deploying these devices is SO satisfying :grin:

It sure does beat the landfill :orange_heart:

4 Likes

@mattmon Can you please correct this in the OP?