Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

So i got everything up and running per the helpful guide and tips from others on here. Iā€™m having one issue iā€™m not sure about. It seems like every time i wake the screen it revers the adaptive brightness option in the display options and also prevents the screen from going to sleep. Is this a issue related to provisioning not fully taking or something else?

Iā€™ve noticed that too when using with wall panel. Now trying ha companion

Iā€™ve also noticed that but thought it had something to do with Fully Kiosk Browser.

For now, Iā€™m using the FKB integration to dim the display when my computer is not active and brighten it when Iā€™m at my desk. Itā€™s not great though and Iā€™m debating adding a brightness slider to my dashboard or using an external a lux sensor, neither of which I want to do.

I need some inspiration for a fancy and lightweight dashboard :slight_smile:

This is the best thing I have seen all year! Have you tried a DIY voice assistant setup on it and does it have a far field mic? I would absolutely love to say goodbye to Alexa!

1 Like

Yes, the hardware is present.

We just need to figure out how best to use it!

Have you played with bubble card yet?
@Cloos may have just what you need :blush:

Really took my dashboards to the next level!

@flyize ā€¦ please clarify?

Unless I did something wrongā€¦

The instructions say to unzip the files into the EDL directory. The command you wrote expects the files to be in the flash/ directory. I think it needs to say:

1. Download the files , extract into the EDL flash/ directory.

This is fscking Awesome. Once I read the manual and finished the provising steps, everything works amazingly well.

I used WallPanel so the device wakes on motion.
GitHub - TheTimeWalker/wallpanel-android: WallPanel is an Android application for Web Based Dashboards and Home Automation Platforms

Virtual Soft Keys, and Nova Launcher.

TLDR: dont skip steps just because you think you dont need them.

1 Like

Is anyone else having problems enabling Developer Mode on the device?
It doesnt matter how many times I tap ā€œBuild Numberā€, Developer mode does not get enabled and I cant provision any adb command because of that.

As mentioned above; If this is happening, you did not properly provision the device. Make sure you follow all the steps (#6 & #7)

1 Like

Tapping developer does not work anymore. What you need to do is boot into EDL mode.

EDL took me a while to figure out. Use a surge strip, hold down both volume keys, and flip on the tablet.

There will be a brief flash of the Lenovo screen, and then a black screen. Thats it. Thats EDL mode. Connect a USB cable to a linux box and type ā€˜lsusbā€™ and you should see it connected.

Still having trouble, booting into EDL to use the adb commands makes my Arch Linux identify the device as Bus 001 Device 018: ID 05c6:9008 Qualcomm, Inc. Gobi Wireless Modem (QDL mode), which I believe should be right.
From there, I am able to flash the ROM with no issues, but still I am not able to use the adb provisioning commands. adb doe snot find devices connected.

Iā€™ve been repeating the whole thing many times, but step 7 I cannot do due to the adb issue.

You can loop mount the partition images from Linux and modify the various .prop files within.

iirc vendor, oem or resource.bin should have what you seek, follow the include trail.

Android must be running in order to execute adb commands. As you saw, edl mode exposes a different device id, which adb wont recognize.

On Linux, you need distinct udev rules for each state.

Updated 1st post. I must have compressed it from within the top level. Away from my pc and didnā€™t check though.

I also added @adamsguitarā€™s adb script to the troubleshooting section. It seems to have been helpful for Mac users.

Thatā€™s a nice, clean dashboard. I really like the room temp graph. Makes me curious about the trends in my own house.

Everyone, please keep posting your dash pics. Makes me smile and serves as inspiration for others :grin:

Haha thanks! Really tickled that so many others are enjoying my (very small) contribution to the HA community :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

Apparently the sellers on Amazon are also enjoying this. I originally got mine for $22, but now I see they are $35.

Iā€™ll bet that @mattmon didnā€™t know that he was an influencerā€¦

2 Likes

You and I both got lucky with that $22 dip. Thereā€™s a seller on eBay right now with them for $30. A few hours ago theyā€™d sold 29 and now itā€™s saying 37 sold with 10 left.

This is my living room dashboardā€¦Iā€™ve gotten three of these things at this point and this one lives here. Itā€™s primarily meant for light controls and entertainment (mostly for our four year old as you might see by the number of buttons for kids shows). There are buttons to launch various apps on the AppleTV as well as a couple of buttons that just play random episodes of specific kids shows on Plex and YouTube.

Iā€™m using the mushroom chips at the top to show alarm state, weather, the temp in the room, and the state of the kids doors upstairs (no sneaking out). Clicking the room temp brings up the climate subview

Thanks!

Though I think I have since had a breakthrough on this. There must be something incompatible with the thunderbolt ports on my MacBook Proā€”once I switched to connecting a thunderbolt or USB-C POWERED docking station to the laptop all of my USB/ADB woes went away immediately. The two units I had already forced my way through setup with things like that script immediately worked as expected with ADB over USB, and the third unit (which I could not get EDL to connect to no matter how many times I triedā€¦) immediately connected and flashed without any issues.

If most Mac are connecting the device with a standard USB-C cable directly to their laptop (not sure if the ports in a Mac Mini, iMac, etc. would have this issue) then try using a powered docking station/port expander.

I tried early on using an unpowered expander and that did not make any difference. I did not try plugging a power adapter into it to see if that would help, so could also be worth a shot.

2 Likes

So my problem with adb still persist, iā€™ve tried different high end cables too.
To be clear, I think i am able to successfully flash the device and boot into android. But I am not able to send any adb command, as my linux does not find the device.

Something that I noticed when flashing the tablet again, is that the output of edl says that it cannot find some .bin files, but the flash process still goes on and finishes.
I looked around and it doesnt seem like these bin files like tz.bin are included anywhere.
Are these needed? Where can I get them?

firehose_client - [qfil] raw programming...
firehose_client - [qfil] programming /Users/monty/kingston-ha-rom/bin/rawprogram.xml
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/NON-HLOS.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/sbl1.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/sbl1.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/rpm.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/rpm.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/tz.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/tz.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/devcfg.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/devcfg.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/adspso.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/sec.dat doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/splash.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/emmc_appsboot.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/emmc_appsboot.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/boot.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/recovery.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/system.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/vendor.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/cache.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/persist.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/oem.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/mdtp.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/lksecapp.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/lksecapp.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/cmnlib_30.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/cmnlib_30.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/cmnlib64_30.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/cmnlib64_30.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/keymaster64.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/keymaster64.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/resource.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/userdata.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/gpt_main0.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: flash/gpt_backup0.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client - [qfil] raw programming ok.
firehose_client - [qfil] patching...
firehose_client - [qfil] patching with /Users/monty/kingston-ha-rom/bin/patch0.xml
firehose_client - [qfil] patching DISK sector(14), size=8

Do you have a powered USB-C docking station you can try if you are currently connecting it to your computer?

Itā€™s normal for some to be missing but check the flash/ folder in the downloaded files. It should not complain that any of those are missing and you should see progress messages for each of them. If not, post your EDL command hereā€”there may be something up with the paths. I switched everything to be full, absolute paths and this is ultimately what worked for me.

1 Like