Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

You might need to read the whole thread then.

1 Like

Then it would be good to mention what you flashed. I mistakenly thought it was the wake up issue not the sleep issue since its the most common issue here.

I flashed the version in the OP.

I was referring to the sleep only works once problem (hence why I wrote ā€œworks only onceā€), which has several dozens of messages here, so Iā€™m not sure which one is more common.

Agree. I also flashed the version from the OP and also have the ā€œnot going to sleepā€ issue.
No issue to wake up.
Tried both wallpanel app and homeassistant companion app.

Fairā€¦ I am just trying to helpā€¦ I am not sure about the 8.1 firmware, but according to the XDA post (see below), there might be some Lenovo apps left over (check which APKs are still not removed). This COULD be the issueā€¦

Hi you all I have everything up and running one nagging issue left. I cannot turn off auto screen brightness without it turning back on in a few seconds. I uninstalled of all the packages with "kiosk" "mdm" "provisioning" etc. AND I uninstalled all the packages listed in the other thread "CD-18781Y ..Normal Android" Does anyone know if these or any of other packages are responsible for always turning "auto brightness" back on?

***EDIT:
I solved this. The offending package is:

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.lenovo.oobe

OOBE = "out of box experience." So it makes sense it contains the gear settings menu you get when you startup. This also allowed me to change the screen to "never" turn off and I think I can do screen saver too.

2 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™ll check it out today or tomorrow.

I have exactly the same thoughts as you. However, this format of device is exactly what I want as Iā€™d like to replace the increasingly useless Amazon echo show devices I have several of. Donā€™t want to do wall mounted tablets so these would be perfect. However, at Ā£100 (new and used) and very limited supply on ebay in the UK, Iā€™m gutted there arenā€™t the $20 equivalents here :frowning:

Are these still worth it at Ā£100?

Just had a look at the open source ROM post too - looks pretty exciting. Do we think that the full potential of the device will be opened up? Audio, mics, HA voice assistant etc? Thanks.

Tried it and got:

Failure [not installed for 0]

OOBE was removed from the source rom, along with all the other Lenovo and Microsoft wares.

4 Likes

Donā€™t suppose anyone has these surplus to requirement in the UK and want to sell one or two?

If you are willing to pay for shipping which is about $20-30 USD then signup for a free account (single package) with https://www.myus.com/signup/?aid=1006656 and you will have a U.S address (tax free) that you can use to order the device from a U.S supplier (eBay as an example) then it will be shipped by myUS service to your U.K address.

Thanks - Iā€™ll take a look :slight_smile:

Just came across this topic today and unfortunately there seems to be a big price disparity between buying in the US and Europe. I can only find it in the ā‚¬120-ā‚¬150 (USD 130+) range here in the EU.

You can run adb logcat to find out what is happening. This issue seems something to do with the ROM firmware of 8.1. It is totally the opposite for ROM firmware 11.

If you want to try a work around, check the findings in this comment where you can run a command.

You may want to try using automagic to run the command input keyevent 26
https://automagic4android.com/trigger_device_idle_mode_en.html
https://automagic4android.com/components_actions_en.html

You may as well use the same approach used in ROM with Firmware 11 where the camera shutter is used to wake up the device, in your case it would to turn off the screen. You will need to toggle the camera shutter and find out what are the key events using adb logcat
Hardware Key Event: Triggers
Hope this may help you outā€¦

Check out thisā€¦

Good to know, thanks. I was referring to some comments from XDA forums so I presume it was the original firmware with the bloatware removed.

@pgale Iā€™m not in a position to do too much investigating, but I could be interested in getting a couple shipped if we/you can find a route for getting them here at a reasonable overall cost.

1 Like

Thanks Chris. Iā€™ve literally just bought two from a US Ebayer - not too bad a price and iā€™m going to be paying $44 for shipping total. Plus 20% VAT of course. Used forwardtome.com as the freight forwarder. Will see how it goes.

Thanks. These are all ways to make the display sleep, but they all require some trigger, for which I donā€™t have a reliable solution. Android already has a reliable solution for that - inactivity timeout - I just want it to work :slight_smile: