Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Browser mod currently. I’ll give snapcast a try.

1 Like

I’m using separate Yamaha MusicCast devices. I’m not using the TSV’s for audio playback at all. Just for touchscreen control of the whole-house audio system

1 Like

Issue: Screen blanks (turns off) after a few minutes

So I’m having the above issue after setting this device up as described in the original post. No matter the settings of the screensaver (right now completely off), after a few minutes, the screen goes dark and can only be woken by a tap on the screen. How can I prevent this kind of timeout? It’s happening whether I use the HA app of Fully Kiosk app, doesn’t make a different.

Thanks!

You’re on Mattmon’s original 8.1 ROM yes?

A few things to check:

In the OS:
Settings - Display - Advanced - Sleep - Set up to 30 mins sleep
Settings - System - Developer Options - Stay Awake (will only keep screen on if charging and that only shows in some OS variants I think - Lineage doesn’t show this. There’s no battery of course)

In Fully Kiosk:
Settings - Device Management - Keep screen on (that has always worked for me on Mattmon’s 8.1, A11 and Lienage 15.1. Note: will work even when FKB is in the background)

As an aside, I recommend Lineage 15.1 (Android 8.1) as the OS of choice as it fixes a few issues I’ve spoken about ad nauseam above :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for this quick response – yes, I’m using the original 8.1 ROM. I’ll play around with the different settings above and, if that doesn’t work, I’ll try LOS. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Fully Kiosk is the answer though if you are running it.

1 Like

I think I’m going to have to try LOS. I tried the suggested settings but the screen still blanks after some time. And yes, Fully Kiosk is my preferred app :slight_smile:

@pgale Do you happen to have the link to the LineageOS repository?

My full installation guide as posted above:

Further links in the guide. I created this to pull everything together from multiple sources.

1 Like

Although I ran Mattmon’s 8.1 for a couple of months on four devices and never experienced a problem like you are seeing, so I suspect a setting somewhere isn’t right.

1 Like

With Lineage OS, is there a place I can define each tablet’s unique name and have that show up in the list of devices in the Fully Kiosk add-on in HA? Since I have a few of these deployed, I’d like to define each one with a unique hardware name and I’m not 100% certain where to find that.

Settings - system - developer options - device hostname

That shows up in things like snapcast etc. when connected to a PC for file transfer, it still shows the same Lenovo StarView and I’ve not been able to change that yet. Suspect it’s hard coded maybe. The device hostname did it for me though.

1 Like

Is that a specific card? I just use the mini-media player card.

@pgale I am using Music Assistant now with MusicCast Receivers. It amazing

1 Like

@Cactus_J I used several mini-media player cards embedded in the custom: button-card so that I can use fixed grid spacing by pixel coordinate location.

@pgale thank you for that tip. Didn’t think to look in the Developer Options menu. Cheers!

2 Likes

Are you still doing this method with Lineage OS? Looking at different ways to let these displays go to sleep when the room isn’t occupied.

I have no problem using screen on/off (based on room presence from other sensors), or screen saver to black using camera motion detection in Fully Kiosk.

I got everything working and have been playing with it a while. Two issues… I can’t get audio to work no matter what i do in fully or in homeassistant companion (works in spotify).

I also can’t find a way to get out of an app (other than fully) when you are in it. If I enter fully I get stuck in whatever menu I’m in in settings until I reboot.

Anyone have any suggetstions? Audio is my biggest issue as setting up voice was my next step.

Yes still doing that.

I’ve been experimenting with using a TSV as a bedside table device too. I’ve been using the app Velis Auto Brightness to enable an extra dark mode which uses a dark overlay. It kind of works to a point but the backlight of the screen is still relatively bright in a very dark room. Just a limitation of the screen technology.

Black screen saver is ok in bright room but the screen backlight is still on, so a bit bright in very dark rooms (as my post above)

Have you installed Mattmon’s original 8.1 ROM or Lineage 15.1?

Original 8.1 has an audio issue and audio won’t play through a browser. Lineage works though. I still recommend running snapcast on each device and snapcast server on the HA machine (Music Assistant has this built in and is super easy to enable). Snapcast works really well and enables more features than the media_player exposed by Fully Kiosk or Browser-mod etc.

Not sure about your other issue. Sounds like you’re on the original ROM and don’t have a navigation bar (the three button bar at the bottom of the screen) installed or working so you get stuck in menus as there’s no back button?

If you’re on the original ROM, you can install a nav bar app (linked in the original top post I think) but Fully Kiosk can stop that running unless you allow it.

Lineage OS has a nav bar installed by default and it works flawlessly.

I plan to use my phone on/off the charger to manage screen on/off in the bedroom. The HA companion app reports whether an iphone is on/off the charger.

I’m also concerned about device longevity that might be reduced by leaving the backlight on 24/7.