Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

What’s it running - Fully Kiosk or something else? I did see one disconnect with a machine when it was sitting on the desktop with no FKB running. On all my others running FKB, I’ve not seen this. I know FKB has lots of Wi-Fi settings but I don’t think I’ve seen an option to keep the connection alive? … Although my dashboards are constantly streaming data (camera and the other HA stuff), so maybe that’s just stopping the device going into some kind of Wi-Fi power saving mode? Not sure if that’s a thing on Lineage but would seem logical as Android does have that I believe…

I also wonder if any of the Networking settings in Developer Options would help - most seem to be settings for data vs Wi-Fi but might be worth looking into.

I had this issue on just one of my TSVs also. I did a bunch of troubleshooting (incl. Android settings, FKB settings, etc) but in the end the only thing that would fix it would be do a full factory wipe data, and reflash the OS. Once I did that has been stable ever since

Im using wallpanel right now. I’ll see if there are settings about not dropping connection but i thought that had more to do with connectivity to HASS and not legit wifi dropping.

I did a full wipe as well and reinstalled everything and it had been stable for about a day but now its happening again. Kind of a bummer. I’ll see what i can figure out tho, maybe i have a misconfigured setting or something. There is a setting in wifi that says “Wifi doesnt turn back on automatically” which is off (on my other devices as well). Could this have anything to do with it? It requires location and a bunch of other settings to be on (turn wifi on when you come into your house to save battery on your phone essentially which isnt something we need) so i havent enabled those things. Has anyone experimented with that?

I haven’t but can confirm that WiFi does seem to drop/reconnect with LineageOS. And seems to go through phases. My WiFi is storng, and I have many devices that have weaker radios that stay connected, so I think the issue is in the TSV, not my setup.

Here’s one of my units over the course of June - you can see it connects and disconnects:

I’m going to experiment with an Automate automation to take the device into Airplane mode for 30 seconds if disconnected for more than a few minutes, and then get out of Airplane mode. Just to see if that can help the unit from getting stuck in a disconnected state.

Thanks @dimatx. Thats very helpful. I did exactly that (toggled airplane mode) and it seemed to get me back on wifi. Its just weird cuz when it drops, ip cam flips out and comes full screen in front of wallpanel and my daughter was like “why is there a camera on my screen” in her room. lolol. I went to the audio only endpoint in ipcam after that for stream assist. ha!

I don’t have io cam but my device seem very stable (LOS+wallpanel with motion detection via camera).
When it wakes via the motion detection the clock that I have on that dashboard is always on time so the connection is good and not an “old” image/page

Doing a quick google search for Lineagos and wifi and there are a lot of other posts about it, some having to do with incorrectly cleaned up partitions during recovery/flashing/etc. I wonder if mine is just goofed up from all the flashings i’ve done? I’ll wait back to see if @dimatx has luck with airplane toggling but ideally this wouldnt be required. I do have tasker so i could do the same, but really dont want to. Sounds familiar: https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/5wcujz/comment/de99z9c/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

1 Like

Has anyone had any success getting their screen set up as a Chromecast device? I tried CastReceiver, but it doesn’t work. Music Assistant finds it but won’t stream to it, probably related to this issue. The speakers aren’t great, but they’re not terrible, either. It would be cool to use them as a small media player.

1 Like

I have Snapcast running on each of 5 devices. Linked to MA using the inbuilt snapcast server. Works well and reliably so far.

2 Likes

Ooh, thanks, I’ll give it a shot!

1 Like

Oh, and I think it’s called snapdroid - available on the play store but a later version available to download as an apk.

1 Like

Has anyone had experience transitioning from A11 to Lineage 15.1? I’m very interested in this because I’ve personally experienced changes in partition sizes when transitioning from A11 to A8.1, which turned my first ThinkSmart into a brick. Does this also happen when transitioning from A11 to Lineage OS?

Never heard of the TSV being bricked as the Lenovo RSA normally works to reset partitions and re-install stock software. I went from A11 to Lineage 15.1 on one machine and have heard others doing the same. If you think you still have a brick, I’d try the recovery tool and try again.

Same advice for A11 if you’re going Lineage 15.1.

Brand new user here just installing Lineage. I have screen timeout disabled in developer options but the screen goes black after the timeout anyway. Problem there is that it doesn’t come back on touch, I found that toggling the camera will turn the screen back on. Anyone seen anything like this? I just want the display on all the time.

Yes standard behaviour.

Things to help:

1. enable wake on volume buttons - easier than camera privacy slider. You can disable that in buttons options too in settings.
  2. I think the option you enabled only works when charging. As there’s no battery, it doesn’t work.
  3. use fully kiosk and enable always on. Not sure if the free wall panel also has this.
1 Like

Good day everyone…
I am finally a proud owner of this thing and i got til point 15 of the github instruction:
Select the Tools menu and then Partition Manager.
But when i try i dont get any partition manager shown…
The initial write to device part seemed to be successful according to the logs.
Where do i take the wrong turn?
Thx for any advice

Basic troubleshooting questions first - you restart everything? and have you tried reinstalling everything, starting the guide from the top? and when you try to access the partitions, are you holding volume up & down?

1 Like