Issue with Ring 2FA

I have been using the ring integration for some time and it has been working fairly well. Recently the video feeds stopped working and as well as the detect last activity entities. After attempting to reboot and restart it continued not to work correctly.

I thought I would delete the integration and start fresh but was unable to re-add it. successfully. I would enter in my username and password and it would give me an error. Ring requires use of 2FA and was sending me the code to use via the phone each time I tried to log in but the HA ring integration never prompted me for the verification code.

I reverted to a prior save since at least the lights and alarms were working and when I tried to reauthorize the integration but re-adding (per what I read online) I had the same issue with 2FA. I am guessing that I need to renew my token or whatever I have that keeps the integration functional but I am not able to do what others said worked for them (re-running the install of the integration to review the token).

I would appreciate any insight or possible solutions folks might have for this issue.

Thanks

Knock on wood, I have not had this problem. By any chance do you use the Ring2MQTT? I had to restart my MQTT this morning.

I have not been using Ring2MQTT but thought about adding it. Not sure if it would solve my immediate issue since if I understand it correctly the MQTT requires the use of the Ring integration.

i didnā€™t think so. or at least my ring2mqtt is working while my ring integration is currently errorā€™ed out. give it a shot.

you said you had been using the ring integration for the video feedā€¦ did you actually get live video from the ring integration? mine only ever gave last recorded. never liveā€¦

1 Like

You should not need the Ring integration. It creates doubles of everything you have if you do.

If I use the MQTT implementation I would assume I need to login. How does 2FA work with that? That seems to be my current stumbling block with the regular ring integration.

The video feed I received was for the last motion detected.

itā€™ll walk you through all of that. i have 2fa on my ring. you only need to do that once at the setup. it then obtains a crazy long security token.

you will still be able to get a video url. it creates a select object with an attributte recordingUrl that has the same video link that you were using (ringā€™s is cameraā€¦ ,attribute: video_url)

Thank you! I will start exploring and getting RingMQTT installed in home assistant. I am sure I will need some assistance!

Is this one the one I want to get?

Well I got it installed a mostly working! Trying to figure out the option to display the motion of the last video. I thought I could do that but must not have the right entity or something else needs to be configured.

congrats. now you not only have last video, but you have the ability to show live video tooā€¦ need help getting the last video? if so, post what you did to get/show it using the ring integration and maybe we can remap it for the new one.

I am struggling to get the cameras added to my config. I have been following this:

I get the Still and Image URLā€™s enter them in but they donā€™t work? Which protocol do I use? I did not set-up a password, probably should but is the required in the main configuration?

I am using the my HA IP for the hostname. So 192.168.1.xxx:8123 for the still image. and using the rtsp://03cabcc9-ring-mqtt:8554/XXXXXcc9fa2a_event from the sensor tab for the video. I am doing something wrongā€¦

i presume you mean you arenā€™t succeeding in setting up the generic camera to get a live feed?

above you were talking about figuring out how to get the last video.

did you get the last video figured out? if not, happy to help with that tool

for this question, i think youā€™re trying to create the generic camera? if so, can you give me the verbatim entries for the still and stream? change a few of the number or whatever if you please. but if there are errors to be made, itā€™s almost always thoseā€¦

as an example, this is what i have in mine:

still image:
http://homeassistant.local:8123{{ state_attr('camera.once_awesome_purple_door', 'entity_picture') }}

stream source:
{{ state_attr('sensor.once_awesome_purple_door_info', 'stream_Source') }}

(yes, my dor is called the ā€˜once awesome purple doorā€™ā€¦ and yes, my devices tts announce that whenever someone rings it :stuck_out_tongue: )

So I think I have the adding a camera thing resolved. I had to play with the URL. I now have my camera entities working it looks like. I added the video using the _event tag when adding the URL for the camera. That will be the last event correct?

I can add that to the dashboard I have and it plays the last video then goes blank and they will eventually recycle to the video again. Is that normal? Perhaps you can let me know how you set up your dashboard entry to show the last event?

sorry, i did not understand this statement.

I think I am missing something here that is important. Your first URL for the picture is similar to mine:

http://192.168.1.174:8123{{ states.camera.patio_snapshot.attributes.entity_picture }}

However my Stream Source is:

rtsp://03cabcc9-ring-mqtt:8554/90486xxxxxxx_event

I was not sure which RTSP transport protocol. I probably selected http. I will change it to TCP.

When I use Live I get the live feed but when I use _event it continues to show it then is ā€œunavailableā€ for a bit then reappears. Anyway to change that behavior?

you can put the rtsp yaml in like i did and not worry about itā€¦
{{ state_attr('sensor.patio_info', 'stream_Source') }}

That goes in the camera entry or the card entry on the dashboard?

thatā€™s what i do in my stream source.

i was responding to this thing you said:

hereā€™s the post from above that shows my exact config:

1 Like