Issue with Sonoff ZBMINI-L (No Neutral) dropping

Hey all

I’m hoping to get some help. I’ve got 2 Sonoff ZBMINI-L units controlling two separate, single gang light switches at my partners house. They pair to Zigbee2mqtt and work absolutely fine, initially.

After a day or so the units stop responding completely, the only way to bring them back to life is to switch off the mains breaker to the light circuit, and flick it back on. They’ll jump back into life and report / are controllable by home assistant until they drop out again in a similar time frame.

I’ve got other device on the Zigbee network, all without delay or issue. (Buttons, LED controllers, Ikea plug etc)

HA is running on a Raspberry Pi, Fully updated. Zigbee2mqtt is up to date. Firmware on the ZBMINI-L’s is up to date (1.1.1), It’s connected by a Sonoff USB Zigbee 3.0 Dongle (ZBDongle-P), which i’ve also firmware updated.

The only thing I can see similar on the forums is this:

Which was fixed by changing the reporting/polling and it was rolled into the latest version of Z2M - however the ZBMINI-L is not within that patch (I believe). If someone can point me in the direction of how to change the reporting options manually (I can’t find anything helpful) - I’ll definitely give that a go.

I’m at a bit of a loss of what else to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi,
I have the same issue with Sonoff ZBMINI-L. (firmware 1.1.1)
I Have Home Assistant on Intel NUC, with zigbee2MQTT and a Sonoff USB Zigbee 3.0 Dongle (ZBDongle-P).
My Sonoff ZBMINI-L looses connection after ~1 Week. There were no power outages.
Last time I had to dismantle my wall switch to manually pair it again. It’s quite a stress because I have 2 small kids who I need to keep away from live power wire.
I will try to somehow provoke the initial state by turning off and on the breaker for this circuit.
I’m new in Home Automation and Zigbee so this is still a learning process. But not pleasant.

Do they disappear from Z2M completely, or do they just become unresponsive like mine?
I consistently only get a day or two, the fact you’re getting a week is interesting.

First time it showed offline in the dasboard.
Then I done reparing with the button.
Second and third time it simply disappeared from zigmbee2mqtt.
Those times I done power reset and repairing.
Both times it reapeared with my settings, didn’t need to reconfigure.
By the way. Second and third time I also had only couple of days.
Now it is alive 4 days.

Did it stay up or has it dropped again since?

I’ve sent logs and some more detail (including this thread) to sonoff, waiting their response.

same thing happens to me, it goes offline. only way for it to come back is to flip the breaker

1 Like

thanks for confirming! I feel like I’ve been going crazy.

So I’ve got two HA setup, one at mine and one at my partners property.

My partners, they DC after a day or so. At mine they last easily a week (I took them out before they dropped).

I’ve replaced the rPI 4 at my partners for an Intel NUC. I can now get them to last ~7 days or so at hers, but I’ve removed all but one of these as they’re such a pain in the ass. (I assumed it might be the dongle dropping connectivity if it was struggling for power) - The NUC won’t have that issue.

I’ve still got a ticket open with Sonoff via Amazon, I’m hopeful they’ll come back with something. I believe the issue is the devices drop and aren’t doing the automatic re-connect/heal when this happens. I’ve got other Zigbee devices at both properties and none of the other devices do this.

Also testing one of the extreme versions of their devices - Just to see if its a chipset issue on the larger ZBMINI devices when theres spikey power or something odd going on.

1 Like

I also have these problems! I am very curious if you will find a solution. Please let us know if you received any response / solution from Sonoff!

So I’ve temporarily removed the ZBMINI-L and put an extreme in its place, and so far so good. I don’t particularly want to change the devices when it seems to be a “them problem”.

The extreme (zbmini-l2) is a much smaller, nicer unit but also pricier. It’s so far got an uptime over 6 days which is longer than the ZBMINI-L would do at all.

1 Like

So I’ve pointed Sonoff to this thread again, i didn’t realise amazon had been stripping the links from our conversation after messages had sent.

Theyr’e asking me to check that i’m on the latest firmware, and asked for behaviour of the unit when it stops responding. From memory the LED was solid red in that instance but it’s been a while since I bothered opening up the switch to look again. I don’t have one wired in currently so need to put one back in for further testing.

If you can answer the firmware version / any LEDs on question i’ll relay it if they don’t respond here.

I did the same thing @Matt_2k34 and replaced with the new model and it has been working fine for 2 weeks.

Thanks for confirming :slight_smile: it’s a shame, I don’t want to have to replace the zbmini-L I feel like they should be able to get this working.(especially with the extremes being more expensive)

1 Like

Ugh, I wish I’d seen this thread before buying the ZBMINI-L.

Any updates since this thread? Has everyone converted to the new switches? Do they remain connected?

What I find curious is that the Zigbee light goes off when I turn off the light. I then have to turn on the switch to reconnect it. :frowning:

Just a thought: Maybe it’ll be interesting to connect it to a heavier load. Maybe it could then draw parasitic power more easily so it might maintain it’s connection? Or would this not be any possibility at all?

Anyone that has found a solution here? Mine worked for about a month or some, and then suddenly started to drop off every few days. It doesn’t reconnect when I flip the light switch, I have to reset it by pushing the button on the ZBMINI-L itself for at least 5 seconds or more. Then it will reconnect again. The problem is that I have to remove the light switch plating before I can get access with a screw driver to push the switch on the device to reset the connection. This is really a bad product……., anyone knowing an alternative solution of roughly the same dimensions?

The extreme version is smaller and is reliable, at least in my usage.

Were not saying reset it using the light switch. We’re saying turn off the mains breaker to ‘reboot’ the device is the quickest recovery without disassembling.

Makes no difference regardless of load

This sounds more like it’s wired wrong and you’re cutting the power to the unit when you turn off the light. If I’m understanding your description correctly.

Annoyingly I’ve spent so long trying to get them sorted - and across different properties, I believe I’ve misplaced at least one unit. Annoying as Sonoff has said I can return them. :frowning:

Nope, I checked that.

Elsewhere I see the first version doesn’t work, so I have bought some of the latest version.