Itho Daalderop - Spider support

I am using the Spider Thermostat in my house. See the following Dutch website:
http://www.ithodaalderop.nl/spider-thermostaat/wat-is-spider

I am slightly frustrated that I am unable to get the data from the thermostat within my Home Assistant, since Spider doesn’t have an public API.

Therefor I am currently checking if I am able to write a component that allows you to get the temperature of all your Spider thermostats visible in Home Assistant. By logging in to https://mijn.ithodaalderop.nl you can retrieve the temperature by using the internal APIs.

I currently have a library ready to upload to Github and then I can start adding it to PyPi and finally add a component to HA to simply display the temperature, but nothing more.

I am wondering if multiple people are looking for a Spider integration?
Next up, anyone interested in helping out to get this further from the ground? Or have an easier game plan to get this up and running properly?

I will keep an eye on your project but personally am more interested in a smart thermostat that does not need a gateway to a service on the (evil) internet.

Completely agree. I don’t like this either.

I am slightly interested since I am actually considering buying a set from Itho Daalderop.
But this is actually a downside now…

I added a merge request to HA which allows you to see and set the temperature for every spider thermostat.

You only also need the spider gateway…

Available in 0.75!

2 Likes

The library;

I just had a recent pull request which adds a fan to the lib. Unfortunately I have a non compatible Itho fan so I can’t check it. If someone has a supported Itho fan I am willing to update the component in HA. Just send me a message so we can run a test.

Hey Peter,

just found your thread about the Itho. Since I used to have a Fithplay hub (had to return it because I left Delta energy company) but still have 5 plugs (bought separately) lying around doing nothing, I hoped your component might also read those? Itho uses these same plugs, rebrands them, or maybe doesn’t even do so…

they’re very good Zigbee plugs, read energy and are very responsive (with the hub that is)

any news on your component? Maybe it would be possible to use these with a Zigbee2mqtt stick? So we wouldn’t have to rely on a proprietary Cloud server? Ive tried using the deconz conbee but had no such luck…

thanks for having a look

Hi Marius,

I integrated Spider (Both the thermostats as the powerplugs) a while back:

Basically the switch is the same as the FifthPlay smartplug. Unfortunately I need the proprietary cloud server from Itho for it for now. I am unable to read the signal from the switch or thermostat directly. I am not sure what kind of signal they use and how to catch it :frowning:

ok thanks,

I might decide to by another fifthplay hub again, and when installing could try the technique #frenck used when installing his SolarEdge panels. Must lookup the post he did about that.

Hi Peter,

Great for the Spider support. Maybe you have looked into the Spider Gateway? I have this as well, it also monitors the DSMR. Any chance these values can be pulled with this as well?

That should be doable, although my suggestion would be, to use the dsmr component or install dsmrreader. Those are better at retrieving the data and they do it on your local environment rather then polling spider their online environment.

You are right. I wanted the easy way out :smile: I will make/buy a splitter for my dsmr and need an extra USB cable to my Pi. Your SpIDer component is awesome btw. I think the SpIDer is not a very user friendly product, but with this, it is easy to control the heating and cooling in my house. No need for a Nest thermostat for now.

Yeah I had the same issue. That’s why I created this component. Hopefully Itho doesn’t change their online application.

I went with the splitter and dsmrreader on the Pi and still happy with the result :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi peter,

I have a itho fan and I’m interesting in buying the spider. Is your component still working on home assistant and how can I install it because can’t find the integration in home assistant neither in hacs.

Thank you for your time.

Hi Glenn,

It actually is within the integrations page. See https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/spider/

I am not sure if the fan is part of the climate system. I don’t have a fan unfortunately myself.

The gateway is required and I use the communication of the mobile app. So it’s not an official supported API. So I cannot garantuee that it keeps working for the rest of your life.

I have a WTW (without Spider) and I use an ESP to control it.

Beste Peter,

De ontwikkeling van de Itho gateway valt nogal tegen. De aangekondigde integratie van Z-wave devices zal niet meer plaats vinden en ook de Spider functionaliteit met de hardware is nog beperkt. Dit ondanks dat de OEM leverancier veel van deze functies al werkend heeft.

Fifthplay (OEM) van de Itho gateway (Home Area Manager) heeft mij laten weten dat er geen nieuwe applicaties komen en dat er geen nieuwe toestellen worden uitgeleverd. Het cloud platform van Fifthplay zal 01-07-2021 worden gesloten waarna de gateway en de powerplugs onbruikbaar worden en kunnen worden weggegooid (zo zegt Fifthplay).

Fifthplay geeft aan dat je de gateway niet alleen lokaal kunt gebruiken. Lijkt mij nogal vreemd omdat deze functionaliteit oorspronkelijk wel voorzien was en je lokaal kunt inloggen. Ook lees ik dat er ooit een API beschikbaar geweest is voor de HAM.

Probleem is dat de gateway meer is dan alleen een gateway er zit ook hardware in die je nodig hebt o.a. voor SDMR en de powerplug die je zonder cloud platform ook zou willen blijven gebruiken.

Itho leunt sterk op Fifthplay en het is dan ook de vraag hoelang Itho zijn cloud platform in de benen kan houden en of Itho nog wel nieuwe HAM’s gaat uitbrengen.

Ik weet ondertussen dat de Spider thermostaat feitelijk werkt via een variant van het Honeywell Opentherm protocol. Hiervoor is op mijn gateway een HGI80 (Honeywell Gateway Interface) aangesloten. Ik begrijp dat op nieuwere versies van de gateway dit niet meer nodig is. Er is waarschijnlijk dan een speciale uitbereidingscard in de HAM (gateway) geïnstalleerd.

Kortom de HAM bevat functionaliteiten die je ook na stoppen van het cloud platform (lokaal) zou willen gebruiken.

Mijn idee was om de HAM via USB te koppelen aan een Raspberry PI zero W en de HAM dan lokaal via Home Assistant uit te lezen in de verwachting dat dat via de beschikbare API zou kunnen.

Maar ik kan geen recente info meer vinden over de API en lees ook niks over succesvolle integratie met de HAM.

Ik ben zelf redelijke leek m.b.t. Home Assistant. Denk jij dat koppeling van de HAM met Raspberry Pi mogelijk is en wat is daarvoor nodig?

Mvg

Nick

@NicktenAsbroek het liefst zou ik alles lokaal uit lezen. Als daar dus mogelijkheden tot zijn zou dit ideaal zijn.

Dat Itho op fifthplay leunde was mij bekend.

Ik zou het zeker interessant vinden om eens naar de mogelijkheden te kijken, maar ook ik ben hier deels een leek in. Als er ergens enige informatie beschikbaar zou zijn, zou ideaal zijn. Ik weet niet of je een contactpersoon had bij fifthplay die aan gaf dat ze gingen stoppen? Anders heeft die wellicht documentatie liggen.

fwiw,

Ive tried to contact Fifthplay, because I have 5 smartswitches (left from a previous install with Delta energy and their ComfortWijzer system, which Hub I had to return) and liked to have bought their proprietary hub. They have never responded, and their webshop is no longer functional.

Ive even tried an Alexa with builtin in zigbee hub to load these smart switches, but unfortunately that didnt work.

So, I think we have not future with Fifthplay here. Especially since in a previous contact with them, they explicitly told me their Api was never to be released publicly, and was only for OEM maunfacturing.
Second, this is a cloud only design. As it was when used via Delta energy.

Worked beautifully and rock solid though, so a real, shame we cant integrate it into Homeassistant

@Peter en Marius,

Ik heb een mail gestuurd aan Fifthplay met de vraag of ze toch niet een API willen vrijgeven waarmee je de blokken in de HAM kunt uitlezen of aansturen. Ik gebruik nu zelf de SDMR, power plug en Thermostaat, maar er zijn ook blokken die in de HAM kunnen worden geklikt voor pulstellers en volgens mij ook Z-wave en Opentherm. Gezien het feit dat ze nu het platform opgeven hoop ik dat ze er nu anders over gaan denken. Het is best een leuk data acquisitieplatform wat als slave board aan een Raspberry Pi zou kunnen hangen. De onboard CPU en geheugen is near end of live, maar voldoende voor zijn basis functies. Via de Pi kun je dan wel data-opslag en visualisatie regelen. Je hebt dan geen web-interface nodig. De blokken en software zijn uitontwikkeld en er is geen support meer nodig.

We zullen zien. Als ze niet meewerken dan doe je daar inderdaad niks aan maar zou wel vrij asociaal zijn. Je kunt nu nog onderdelen en devices kopen voor de HAM (Ok, niet meer via de mainstream kanalen of Fifthplay en Itho staat ook op hold). Heb zelf heel recent nog power pluggen aangeschaft. Werken best goed maar als ze volgend jaar niet meer doen, dat is toch niet iets wat je verwacht van een bedrijf zoals Niko.

M.b.t. de power pluggen (net zoals de DIN rail modules) deze zijn denk ik via Easy click protocol van Niko. Zie n.l. bij Niko vergelijkbare DIN rail modules.

Nick