Janet (The Good Place)

Alert mode is for high priority notifications, things you do not want to miss.

So for when voice notifications are turned off 11pm-7am, if you have a high priority automation firing, you should enable alert mode as part of the automation, so that the (high priority) voice notification will come through regardless of the time of day. Then after the voice is played, alert mode is disabled again automatically, so as not to disturb you with low-priority notifications during the night etc.

1 Like

thank you now I understand perfectly what it’s for;)

@davemc thanks mate, that’s exactly what it’s for :slight_smile:

First off thanks for this. I’ve been meaning to overhaul my TTS for a long time now.

For some reason I I can’t get the actual TTS to work at all. The text processing is working ok but I get nothing out of my google home. I did add it to the list. Nothing is showing up on my logs at all. Not sure where I should start to get it working.

@norien Does it work when you turn on Guest mode and Alert mode?

doh! yes, yes it does. For some reason adding the media_player to my input_select wouldn’t work. I had to head down to the speech_processing script and manually add my media_player.google_home into the tts.google_say service line. For the moment I’m only using a single player for my TTS so this is ok for now.

TTS does not work here. HA always return this error.

1 Like

Figured out my issue. In the input_select.janet_notification_media_player I was adding the entity_id of my media player and not the correct friendly_name
this works much better:

input_select:
  janet_notification_media_player:
    name: Source
    icon: mdi:speaker
    options:
      - "Google Home"
    initial: "Google Home"

You seem to be trying to specify * for the entity_id? That won’t work. If you need to specify all, just use a group with all teh media players/

An excellent project, fairly straight forward to setup. I’m still thinking of what skills to implement though.

2 Likes

Hi guys, i have a question related to this, Janet is using google TTS service. is this a local running service or is this a connection to an online google service ?
I am asking because i am located in Shanghai and google is not accessible.

if you can use tts google. then you can use janet. for tts platform, I see many people also use amazon polly. so as long as you have tts that already work then you can use janet for speech. also for text you can use notify you already have.

Thank you for your response, but it does not full answer my question if the tts google service is creating an outbound connection to google.

yes it is use outbound connect to google. but don’t need let encrypt.

you can also use a local tts platform from https://home-assistant.io/components/#text-to-speech

hi , i was able to add janet to my config, im getting notify messages, but im not sure how to enable the voice, can someone help?

Turn on guest mode or alert mode

Ok I’m turn on alert mode…dont know what to do now

1. go to services tool (the remote icon on down left of the frontend)

2. on right hand side - service choose script.janet_speech_engine

3. service data (json, optional) paste this and call service. you will hear janet greeting and introduction

{
    “call_greeting”: 1,
    “call_introduction”: 1
    }

thank you, did that i got “invalid json” and cant call service